Photos of other members boats.

AllanW

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

That looks a bit peaceful.

Pretty yes, spectacular even, but not much peacefulness yesterday, Jim was testing his engine and I had the angle grinder out taking a bit of the front deck back to bare metal ?.

...............Dave

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, no, the wolves and sharks are just round that corner...

It's OK, we have Newton Heath as a detterent to the west and Salterhebble Top lock to keep some of the southern troublemakers and sightseers out. A few have got through but are easily tamed with good northern food and beer. 

Talked to a boat going through yesterday, a newly purchased boat making its first big trip and had just come up through Newton Heath. They said if they ever come up here again it will be on a lorry.

They had spent one night in a motorway culvert (no towpath) which is actually quite a good idea.

...............Dave

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Talked to a boat going through yesterday, a newly purchased boat making its first big trip and had just come up through Newton Heath. They said if they ever come up here again it will be on a lorry.

They had spent one night in a motorway culvert (no towpath) which is actually quite a good idea.

...............Dave

That would be the one in Castleton, unless they stopped near Boat and Horses nr Chadderton. There are decent moorings not far away from either of those motorway bridges. Lack of knowledge, soon solved by asking on tinternet. Slattocks in Castleton, next to a garage with a Spar shop, or at Rose of Lancaster, Mills Hill, or a bit further to the aqueduct, it's quieter and there are bollards. 

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Never sure about posting photos here as other members may not want their location published

Many years ago (pre-drones) a light aircraft flew over the stockbroker belt taking pictures. Residents were then visited and offered expensive frame ariel photos of their expensive houses. This led to a couple of divorces as a strange car was parked in the driveway whilst husband was away earning the money.

We choose to live on the cut which is a public place, and the public likes taking photos of boats. Quite a few pictures of our boat have turned up on the internet and in some canal magazine/newspapers. One marina used our picture as part of their advertising (without consulting us). I think its pretty hopeless living on the cut if you want to hide away. A photo on a little forum used by a few boaters is not a problem. 

However Jims picture does show us on a 48 hour visitor mooring so maybe we better move soon!

.............Dave

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

Many years ago (pre-drones) a light aircraft flew over the stockbroker belt taking pictures. Residents were then visited and offered expensive frame ariel photos of their expensive houses. This led to a couple of divorces as a strange car was parked in the driveway whilst husband was away earning the money.

We choose to live on the cut which is a public place, and the public likes taking photos of boats. Quite a few pictures of our boat have turned up on the internet and in some canal magazine/newspapers. One marina used our picture as part of their advertising (without consulting us). I think its pretty hopeless living on the cut if you want to hide away. A photo on a little forum used by a few boaters is not a problem. 

However Jims picture does show us on a 48 hour visitor mooring so maybe we better move soon!

.............Dave

Only after I've posted today's pic showing no movement. Summit pound is just over a mile long to you can stay another 14 days at the far end. That should  satisfy the board. 

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Only after I've posted today's pic showing no movement. Summit pound is just over a mile long to you can stay another 14 days at the far end. That should  satisfy the board. 

The other end is no good, its too close to the pub, here is much better, a mile walk there, a few pints and a mile walk back is a good healthy night out ?.

We are going down the locks,probably on Friday, almost to Littleborough, to find a winding hole. We could then stay here for another two weeks after a genuine reversal of our journey. I think its quite reasonable to reverse a journey in order to avoid a visit to either Rochdale or Newton Heath.

..............David

On 01/04/2019 at 16:01, dmr said:

The other end is no good, its too close to the pub, here is much better, a mile walk there, a few pints and a mile walk back is a good healthy night out ?.

We are going down the locks,probably on Friday, almost to Littleborough, to find a winding hole. We could then stay here for another two weeks after a genuine reversal of our journey. I think its quite reasonable to reverse a journey in order to avoid a visit to either Rochdale or Newton Heath.

..............David

You should be able to wind in the big pool below pike house lock. Just past that pool is a small dock that you could moor in, with an old crane stump adjacent. It's one lock above the sani station pound. It would save going down the next couple of locks to Littleborough itself. 

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

You should be able to wind in the big pool below pike house lock. Just past that pool is a small dock that you could moor in, with an old crane stump adjacent. It's one lock above the sani station pound. It would save going down the next couple of locks to Littleborough itself. 

Last time we managed to wind right below lock 43? (by the mill/textile factory). Its very very tight but has good deep water right to the offside bank. Only trouble is there is always an audience, I think its the factory smoking spot.

I did walk down and have a look at the little dock, it looked quite silted but would be a nice place to stop.

I don't want to go to Littleborough as if that winding hole is silted we have a big problem....would have to go to Rochdale, and Rochdale top lock was a bit traumatic on the way up. I really hope its been dredged a bit before we have to head back that way.

If we put your engine on the front of our boat we could go up and down the Rochdale without needing to turn ?

...............Dave

• 4 months later...