Home Automation

Robbo

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Certainly looks in focus. I had one of dem instant mastic cameras once, but i fink the focus was stuck. 

Eeeeeeeeeeejut! The Rail was focussed on the spider it was about to eat. The spider certainly did not have any mastic on him.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Eeeeeeeeeeejut! The Rail was focussed on the spider it was about to eat. The spider certainly did not have any mastic on him.

Did he come to a sticky end. 

I'll get my a̶n̶o̶r̶a̶k̶n̶o̶i̶d̶, a̶n̶o̶r̶a̶k̶, coat. 

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Certainly looks in focus. I had one of dem instant mastic cameras once, but i fink the focus was stuck. 

Weren't those instant mastic cameras made by that bald headed bloke who sucked lolipops? 

What was his name? Oh yes, now I remember Kodak. ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Weren't those instant mastic cameras made by that bald headed bloke who sucked lolipops? 

What was his name? Oh yes, now I remember Kodak. ?

Isn't he that Brummie bloke who did adverts? 

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I've run out of greenies for the day.

I wanted to give Sea Dog one for this tripe od.

Well, take one off me, I've got enough for today! 

Edited by rusty69

7 hours ago, Robbo said:

Although you do have a computer and may be smart phone that has the same equipment to be a listening device if so wished, probably easier as well if someone was so inclined to target you! 

There is a  vast amount of evidence that security is mostly non-existent in IoT hardware.

Computers and phones do have security built in and would need to be compromised before anyone could listen in. The ease of doing this depends on the OS the target is using...

8 hours ago, Robbo said:

Although you do have a computer and may be smart phone that has the same equipment to be a listening device if so wished, probably easier as well if someone was so inclined to target you! 

To counter the potential for the computer being used as a listening device, the microphone is permanently switched off and the webcam taped over when not in use, the computer has no GPS capability. I have no doubt that GCHQ are quite capable of overcoming some of this, but then I don't fear GCHQ. No I don't have a Smartphone.

13 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

There is a  vast amount of evidence that security is mostly non-existent in IoT hardware.

Computers and phones do have security built in and would need to be compromised before anyone could listen in. The ease of doing this depends on the OS the target is using...

That was the point that the hacker on the Panorama programme was making, your security is only as good as your weakest link. No-one had 'targetted' the man with the security cameras throughout his home, they'd merely found that the cameras were insecure and posted them up onto a website for others to view (not apparently illegal). Rather more concerning were those who had installed baby monitors whose video feeds were equally insecure and these were also being accessed and put up on the web.

18 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

To counter the potential for the computer being used as a listening device, the microphone is permanently switched off and the webcam taped over when not in use, the computer has no GPS capability. I have no doubt that GCHQ are quite capable of overcoming some of this, but then I don't fear GCHQ. No I don't have a Smartphone.

That was the point that the hacker on the Panorama programme was making, your security is only as good as your weakest link. No-one had 'targetted' the man with the security cameras throughout his home, they'd merely found that the cameras were insecure and posted them up onto a website for others to view (not apparently illegal). Rather more concerning were those who had installed baby monitors whose video feeds were equally insecure and these were also being accessed and put up on the web.

The speaker is vunrable as well to be a microphone.   Your IoT  devices from the likes of Google, Amazon and Apple are going to be more secure than your PC and any other IoT devices due to the companies and reputation of them  if they weren’t.   Crappy IoT devices you find from China not so much.   The PC is vunrable due to the human factor installing crap on it, you don’t get the human factor with a Google Home device.

Edited by Robbo

40 minutes ago, Robbo said:

The speaker is vunrable as well to be a microphone.   Your IoT  devices from the likes of Google, Amazon and Apple are going to be more secure than your PC and any other IoT devices due to the companies and reputation of them  if they weren’t.   Crappy IoT devices you find from China not so much.   The PC is vunrable due to the human factor installing crap on it, you don’t get the human factor with a Google Home device.

GCHQ can use your speaker as a microphone - maybe.

I wouldn't trust anything from Google or Amazon to keep MY data secure. Apple maybe, they have a business model that doesn't involve selling MY data to third parties.

Your PC, if it's running Windows, has an OS that's not been designed to be secure. MacOS and Linux are a different matter and far more secure

6 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

GCHQ can use your speaker as a microphone - maybe.

I wouldn't trust anything from Google or Amazon to keep MY data secure. Apple maybe, they have a business model that doesn't involve selling MY data to third parties.

Your PC, if it's running Windows, has an OS that's not been designed to be secure. MacOS and Linux are a different matter and far more secure

I’m a Linux and Mac guru, your wrong on it being secure.

3 hours ago, Robbo said:

That was one of the 'party pieces' of the hacker on the Panorama programme, he used the speaker of the connected television to 'notionally' order the delivery of a brand new I-Phone through the Amazon Alexa, I wouldn't have one in the house/boat beforehand and that fully convinced me that my concerns were not unfounded. Added to which you don't surely believe that Alexa,Cortana,Siri and Google Assistant and the rest aren't taking in information even before being activated by the 'magic' word? I mean really???

21 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That was one of the 'party pieces' of the hacker on the Panorama programme, he used the speaker of the connected television to 'notionally' order the delivery of a brand new I-Phone through the Amazon Alexa, I wouldn't have one in the house/boat beforehand and that fully convinced me that my concerns were not unfounded. Added to which you don't surely believe that Alexa,Cortana,Siri and Google Assistant and the rest aren't taking in information even before being activated by the 'magic' word? I mean really???

If that was they were listening to your every word it would be in the news as they are been monitored very closely by people too see if they do listen to your every word!   It would kill the product if they were due to bad publicity.    Worry about the shit you install on your PC rather than theee devices!

32 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If that was they were listening to your every word it would be in the news as they are been monitored very closely by people too see if they do listen to your every word!   It would kill the product if they were due to bad publicity.    Worry about the shit you install on your PC rather than theee devices!

What I actually said was,"..... you don't surely believe that Alexa,Cortana,Siri and Google Assistant and the rest aren't taking in information even before being activated by the 'magic' word?....." Google, et al are quite clear that their systems don't record your conversations, but they do not say that they are not taking in information. That is precisely the reason that I did everything I could to deactivate Cortana when Microsoft 'generously' gave me the Windows 10 that I didn't actually want and packaged up Cortana with it. The bl**dy thing was constantly sending information to Microsoft and using my monthly allowance to do so, that isn't conspiracy theory, that was my d*mn allowance being used by Microsoft because I could see it being used on a monitoring app that comes with the Mifi. This usage stopped when I (eventually) deactivated Cortana, and I still cannot be sure that it is fully deactivated. And the shit Windows 10 wasn't installed by me, Microsoft dumped it on me.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

What I actually said was,"..... you don't surely believe that Alexa,Cortana,Siri and Google Assistant and the rest aren't taking in information even before being activated by the 'magic' word?....." 

It would be obvious if they were listening did due to the network traffic been sent to/from the main servers.   As said these things are hit on from people who are just looking for that.

cortina also does the searches in windows 10 from the start menu, that’s what traffic you would have been seeing as it does a Bing search as well and not stuff from the microphone.

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

It would be obvious if they were listening did due to the network traffic been sent to/from the main servers.   As said these things are hit on from people who are just looking for that.

cortina also does the searches in windows 10 from the start menu, that’s what traffic you would have been seeing as it does a Bing search as well and not stuff from the microphone.

Since I don't use Edge, I use Firefox, what unauthorised 'searches' would Cortana have been doing?

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Since I don't use Edge, I use Firefox, what unauthorised 'searches' would Cortana have been doing?

As you turned it off it won't be doing it now for you, but every time you search at the start menu search thing it did a cortana search which includes Bing suggestions.   No one uses Edge! :) 

8 hours ago, Robbo said:

The one where you hit the Windows button and type.   Also Windows tracks what apps you open to improve the search here as well.

30 seconds ago was the first time that I've ever done that (tried it just to see what you meant), since I've never done it before I don't quite see how Cortana would have been searching under those conditions when it was eating up my allowance.