Home Automation

Robbo

Featured Posts

Robbo old bean, I'm thinking of your wellfare you know. You'll get enormousely obese just lounging about or staying in bed making things go on and off by, nods, winks, coughs, sneezes and words.  :)

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I must admit, I was really interested in the title and keen to try anything. Although I am not a the Mr Smelly end of the spectrum, neither am I at the Robbo end. Some language I could understand in the middle would be really great.

I've played around with the eRobot app on an android which does the gps/emailing etc but the interface to actually do anything useful is not there. It would be good to be able to put the eberspatchy thingy on via a mobile but not a clue how to do it 'cause the little black control box is so ancient.....I think Noah had one.

The GSM controller system posted above uses sms messsges for controlling which may be what you after.   If you want something more internet based and have a router on board then the relay boards from http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/ that I found may be the way as they can be directly controlled via web browser or an app (depending on the model).    I looked at raspberry pi based relays but i probably find myself messing too much with the pi so wanted something that could be controlled seperatly but easily by the pi as well.   The only downside is that I wished they did a 8 or 16 version of the soild state relays for power consumption.   I went for the dscript version relay as you can do scheduling and some advanced stuff out of the box (you don’t need to know how to script).   It also has counters you can use to limit or time things, so a pump can run on for a 30 seconds after been turned off. 

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

Many years ago I tried automating some functions at home like washing and drying the dishes by utilising some spare functionality in my children. The voice activated commands were totaĺy ineffective, and suffered severly from excessive feedback. Voice activation of the volume controls of devices was likewise an abject failure.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Although I am not a the Mr Smelly end of the spectrum

Although Mr Smelly is not into this stuff, I have still taken account of previous threads when I enquired about the Empirbus system a few years ago.   As that system is for power distribution, control and it’s very good at what it can do.  It is something you are relying on and the upgrade path to the “next best thing” was a factor as well as been able to just keeping it simple.   The systems I’m looking at can be just add ons to the standard wiring (although the wiring is patch panel type).

3 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

If this was a novice asking a question about how to work a lock or tie up a boat properly they would get loads of helpful advice and no-one would say that was dumbing down.  And you have to bear in mind this is a canal users forum, not a technology/gadget forum so I think the thread is fair game.  It does seem to me sometimes that you can dish it out but you can't take it.

So I can only ask novice questions so the majority of people on here can understand? and not more advance stuff where I thought some of us would be interested in discussing on a level that isn’t dumbed down for someone who has no interest at all rather than saying “I don’t under stand what your talking about, your making me look dumb because your using words I don’t understand and I’m going to point that out”.   I’ve done my research on home automation forums and the like but a boat has different issues.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

The GSM controller system posted above uses sms messsges for controlling which may be what you after.   If you want something more internet based and have a router on board then the relay boards from http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/ that I found may be the way as they can be directly controlled via web browser or an app (depending on the model).    I looked at raspberry pi based relays but i probably find myself messing too much with the pi so wanted something that could be controlled seperatly but easily by the pi as well.   The only downside is that I wished they did a 8 or 16 version of the soild state relays for power consumption.   I went for the dscript version relay as you can do scheduling and some advanced stuff out of the box (you don’t need to know how to script).   It also has counters you can use to limit or time things, so a pump can run on for a 30 seconds after been turned off. 

Thanks Robbo, I will do some digging and try and understand some more of the basics. I've got a pi on board but its used for media but I have also got a decent router.

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks Robbo, I will do some digging and try and understand some more of the basics. I've got a pi on board but its used for media but I have also got a decent router.

They seem to be good quality and run from 12v (although I would use a voltage regulator) so would recommend them.  The one I have has a number of remote options as well as simple http to switch off/on/toggle the relays.   I’ve tested this connecting with Stringify and Google Assistant so I can control them via Voice.   Some of the boards also have digitial and analogue inputs so you can control the relays (or read them remotely) via that method as well. 

6 minutes ago, Robbo said:

So I can only ask novice questions so the majority of people on here can understand? and not more advance stuff where I thought some of us would be interested in discussing on a level that isn’t dumbed down for someone who has no interest at all rather than saying “I don’t under stand what your talking about, your making me look dumb because your using words I don’t understand and I’m going to point that out”.   I’ve done my research on home automation forums and the like but a boat has different issues.

No please don't get me wrong, I think the subject matter is perfectly appropriate for the forum and clearly other members are interested, I just was irritated by Nick's rather po faced attitude and the fact that there are many occasions when members are only too happy to deconstruct other technical subjects for the benefit of less knowledgeable/experienced members.   

There must be any number of threads on electrical issues where someone has posted something effectively saying "can you explain to me simply what you are on about" and one of the forum experts has tried to do just that.  I remember some time ago Nick himself explaining to me how you can operate a heating system remotely when maybe he was thinking how come this guy doesn't know this stuff already.  

I accept that sometimes the subject matter requires too much background knowledge and it's impossible to explain in simple terms, that may be the case here.

• Greenie 3

15 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

No please don't get me wrong

No worries..

16 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I accept that sometimes the subject matter requires too much background knowledge and it's impossible to explain in simple terms, that may be the case here.

The subject is quite vast and there is a lot of different standards, I’m on the start of the learning curve and looking for ideas, hardware and software that’s suitable for a boat environment.  I think I’ve come up with something that will work but I’m interested if someone else has done or planning something similar to basically see what other paths there is.

57 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Jesus doc why do you need a private investigator on board and what do woodworking tools have in common with this thread?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Jesus doc why do you need a private investigator on board and what do woodworking tools have in common with this thread?

I am surprised you never mentioned the spade! If I start digging, I may hit the bottom....of the boat.

Where I don't really like the home/boat automation idea is more related to security that anything else (call me a paranoid conspiracy theorist if you like). To begin with I can fully understand a closed system with no internet access and am comfortable with that. Once you introduce the internet however, security becomes an issue. I have disabled Cortana from my Windows 10 and wouldn't even contemplate having Alexa anywhere near my home/boat. Why would I wish to pay money to install a listening device in my home/boat? You don't really think that Alexa only listens when summoned??:wacko:.

There was a recent Panorama programme that rather demonstrated my concerns, a couple  were particularly proud of how they could remotely operate stuff within their home, they than let a hacker loose and he showed them what he could remotely do which I think rather unnerved them. Another gent had installed a number of webcams throughout his home for 'security'. It transpired that his system was hacked and the webcams were being watched throughout the world, one connection in France apparently had connected to his webcam for over 7 hours (it just showed his kitchen, perhaps there wasn't much on French TV at the time:unsure:).

At the moment I have a perfect, secure remote control system, I just said to her 'pass me that book' and as if by magic the book was there. I can say,'flip the light on for me' and suddenly there is light, all this with no battery drain:rolleyes:

• Greenie 4

56 minutes ago, Less Is Moor said:

Be sure to treat that perfect system with the same respect and care that you are so concerned about with a more automated approach... ?  For someday, it too, may fail.

I installed seven cameras in my home a few years back... not only to keep an eye on the house, but to be able to check in with my wife (of 30+ years), who was in the middle of an 8 year battle with cancer.  She lost that battle a little over a year ago, and I lost her.  But before she passed, I automated the house heater and air conditioner so she could adjust it from her bed.  I automated her sprinklers so she could set in the front window of the house and water her yard and garden from her phone.  I automated the garage doors so they could be opened and closed from anywhere in the world at any time, and close themselves securely each night.  I got our dog a collar that reported to us by text message and email anytime he left our secured area (I admit I still love this when it tells me that my daughter Stephanie and my dog Doogan have gone on a walk).

Of all the home automation that I installed, the one camera that kept a private eye on our bedroom was the best.  I could log in from anywhere and see how my wife was fairing.  And it worked both ways... there were times toward the end when my wife was called to stay in the hospital for various treatments, that she would ask me to pull up the home cameras so she could see how her house and dog were getting along in her absence.  Then at times from work, logging in to the cameras was like being able to go home for lunch... which I couldn't actually do because of distance.  My cameras are on a secure network and even if someone hacked it... I'm not sure I would care much.  We were pretty simple people.

If there was any downside to the constant personal surveillance that became such a part of the last few years... it's that I have years of stored video clips of the woman I loved, getting weaker and weaker as the time passed... including April 10th, 2017, at 4:15am... when she took her final breath.

I may be completely out of line for posting this.  Especially as my second post on the forum.  But I was following this thread because of my interest in home automation and just wanted to share a different perspective on its value.

If I am someday able to fulfill my fantasy of retirement on the water... there will be cameras.

Jim

That was a remarkable thing you did for your wife and thank you for telling us 

• Greenie 4

On 25/08/2018 at 19:04, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Where I don't really like the home/boat automation idea is more related to security that anything else (call me a paranoid conspiracy theorist if you like). To begin with I can fully understand a closed system with no internet access and am comfortable with that. Once you introduce the internet however, security becomes an issue. I have disabled Cortana from my Windows 10 and wouldn't even contemplate having Alexa anywhere near my home/boat. Why would I wish to pay money to install a listening device in my home/boat? You don't really think that Alexa only listens when summoned??:wacko:.

Although you do have a computer and may be smart phone that has the same equipment to be a listening device if so wished, probably easier as well if someone was so inclined to target you! 

With the talk of cameras above, I've only tested a few cameras and have not found a system I like yet.   The "smart" cameras tend to be no good as they require good internet access (as well as bandwidth) as they store video in the cloud (some have local SD Cards, but pretty useless if some takes the camera!).   I'm currently looking at security cameras from Dahua as they are meant to be good quality.   The proper IP security cameras (rather than the "smart" ones), have features such as storing to a remote FTP server, so can store to a local Pi then sync off-site so not relying on a reliable connection all the time.

On 24/08/2018 at 14:55, Robbo said:

I'm getting into home automation and going to implement onto the boat I'm fitting out.   Anyone here have the same thoughts to throw around some ideas and systems used?

Currently I'm devising a system which has...

Philips Hue with zigbee ballasts to drive the LED downlights

Robot-Electronics dscript relay board for controlling the Generator, Inverter, Pumps, etc.

Google Mini Home for Voice control

Raspberry Pi with Node-Red for implementing a bit of flow-programming.

The problem is you need a plug to plug the plug into the plug, if you haven't got a plug to plug into the plug, you can't plug the plug into the plug.

:)