CRT DATA BREACH TODAY 22 AUG 2018

Blazeaway

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, zenataomm said:

So you wouldn't be concerned if someone who has that list watches your boat go by, looks it up on the list, double checks it against Reg Number, confirms it's you,  Then after getting your address goes round your house and burgles you?

I would.

You don't have much faith in your fellow boaters do you?

As I haven't received any emails about the data breach from CRT, can someone who has, confirm whether my name, address and boat name were leaked? ?

Given the number of complaints we have seen over the years of people not getting renewal letters, perhaps anybody getting someone else's should forward it on to them to give a maximum chance of them actually seeing at least one! :banghead:

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

You don't have much faith in your fellow boaters do you?

As I haven't received any emails about the data breach from CRT, can someone who has, confirm whether my name, address and boat name were leaked? ?

I didn't say they would be boaters although scrotes do come in all guises.

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Who else would CRT send licence reminders to?

They are likely to release said information to anyone they think they have a reason to write to, but I see now where you're coming to ….. going from …..

Well looks like its possible someone is trying to use the data for criminal gain

Just learnt that crt have been notified that several boats have been "sold" and requested changes of ownership sent into crt.

So its not all just a storm in tea cup who knows what else they will come up with.

The data breach includes boat name number and location of home mooring. For example If they are successful in reassigning ownership just turn up nick it sell it and rightful owner will not be aware until they discover it gone.

2 hours ago, Blazeaway said:

Well looks like its possible someone is trying to use the data for criminal gain

Just learnt that crt have been notified that several boats have been "sold" and requested changes of ownership sent into crt.

So its not all just a storm in tea cup who knows what else they will come up with.

The data breach includes boat name number and location of home mooring. For example If they are successful in reassigning ownership just turn up nick it sell it and rightful owner will not be aware until they discover it gone.

Forgive my scepticism, but how did you learn this? And where from?

And what stops the police going round to the address fraudulently registered and nicking them?

2 hours ago, Blazeaway said:

I don't think CRT "assign" ownership  You do that by selling the boat, or by buying it from someone who can prove they own it!  The fact that CRT have got a different name just means someone else will have to pay for your licence...

I give up with some folk.

I am concerned for the situation that crt has put me and others in. You carry on believing that this stuff doesnt matter. Your view points are so ill judged. I am sure nothing bad will ever happen if you stick your head in the sand.

I will not be updating this thread anymore with what I learn.

10 minutes ago, Blazeaway said:

I am concerned for the situation that crt has put me and others in. You carry on believing that this stuff doesnt matter. Your view points are so ill judged. I am sure nothing bad will ever happen if you stick your head in the sand.

Frank. I think each of us worries about different things on different levels. We now live in a world were data is thrown about all over the place and it's our own fault. Most people no longer use cash and are happy to tap a daft little box with a piece of plastic to pay in the shop etc. Most stuff is paid for on line with card details so we reap what we sow. No data is secure, that's about as daft as believing that Facebook is only open to those whom we decide to let in. For me I don't worry one jot about it as in the greater scheme of things it's trivia but each to his own.

1 hour ago, Blazeaway said:

Updating it with guesses and hearsay is no help to anyone. All I asked for is the source of your information, so why the hissy fit?

The reason is you don't truly believe it yourself either I reckon. Do you?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

3 hours ago, Blazeaway said:

Internet bull shit at its best

On 25/08/2018 at 18:40, Blazeaway said:

For example If they are successful in reassigning ownership just turn up nick it sell it and rightful owner will not be aware until they discover it gone.

To be honest, so what? They could do that by walking along the towpath, seeing a moored boat and driving it off.  There was a yard owner on the Shroppie many years ago that flogged off almost all the boats moored there and legged it to Spain with the proceeds.  Boats aren't secure, engines are easy to start and ownership in most cases impossible to prove. Nothing to do with CRT's records, which in view of the rest of their abilities, I wouldn't want to rely on for anything.

On 26/08/2018 at 21:18, Arthur Marshall said:

To be honest, so what? They could do that by walking along the towpath, seeing a moored boat and driving it off.  There was a yard owner on the Shroppie many years ago that flogged off almost all the boats moored there and legged it to Spain with the proceeds.  Boats aren't secure, engines are easy to start and ownership in most cases impossible to prove. Nothing to do with CRT's records, which in view of the rest of their abilities, I wouldn't want to rely on for anything.

I’m guessing most peoplle would be a bit peeved off if they were chucked out of their home just because the data controller at the Land Registry made a mistake or got bribed to switch names.

TBH, I’m quite surprised by some of the views here but I suppose we all have different degrees of faith in these systems and the people running them.

1 hour ago, rowland al said:

I’m guessing most peoplle would be a bit peeved off if they were chucked out of their home just because the data controller at the Land Registry made a mistake or got bribed to switch names.

And that's quite a serious possibility now it's been privatised. Plenty of errors in their records, no real deeds to houses any more - lots of scope for border disputes & lots more money for the lawyers. Assuming you can afford one. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And that's quite a serious possibility now it's been privatised. Plenty of errors in their records, no real deeds to houses any more - lots of scope for border disputes & lots more money for the lawyers. Assuming you can afford one. 

The irony there is that when the Abbey National sent the paper deeds back to me when I owned a house many years ago, they sent me someone elses by mistake! 

What was worse. despite us sending them to the rightful owners, they admitted they had ‘lost’ ours.

Mistakes happen, but they shouldn’t be ignored, excused or covered up. The latter actually being a criminal offence with regard to the data protection act.

52 minutes ago, rowland al said:

The irony there is that when the Abbey National sent the paper deeds back to me when I owned a house many years ago, they sent me someone elses by mistake! 

What was worse. despite us sending them to the rightful owners, they admitted they had ‘lost’ ours.

Mistakes happen, but they shouldn’t be ignored, excused or covered up. The latter actually being a criminal offence with regard to the data protection act.

When I received mine I was told that they weren't the paper they were written on as they are all digitised now!