CRT DATA BREACH TODAY 22 AUG 2018

Blazeaway

Featured Posts

Some of you may be aware CRT has today had a majpor data breach.

Just fyi I have been emailed my licence renewal AND 246 FOR OTHERS BOATS AND MOORINGS. #$@!$#@ WTF ???

I have names addresses phone numbers boat details etc so I guess others have my details too. So anyone with criminal intent is a major step towards id theft.

What a bunch of muppets.....

To be honest, names, addresses and phone numbers aren't a particularly dangerous data breach.  the first you can get from the electoral roll and the last from the phone book sites.

I don't believe there is any way whatsoever, once data is held on a computer, to keep it genuinely secure. All the evidence points the other way and we just have to live with it.  It's the price you play for having these toys to play with.

• Greenie 1

Not really the point though Arthur.

With a bit of skulldugery a call to mobile phone company can fill in some blanks and then as demonstrated by a feature on radio 2 in june on how lax phone company security is all of a sudden new phones are ordered and shipped elsewhere and innocent owner is in a mess.

So it is a big deal linking name address and mobile number

23 minutes ago, Blazeaway said:

Some of you may be aware CRT has today had a majpor data breach.

Just fyi I have been emailed my licence renewal AND 246 FOR OTHERS BOATS AND MOORINGS. #$@!$#@ WTF ???

I have names addresses phone numbers boat details etc so I guess others have my details too. So anyone with criminal intent is a major step towards id theft.

What a bunch of muppets.....

Do you have the email addresses that go with each postal address?

If so, then you have the foundations necessary to start building an on line identity fraud and CRT need hauling over the coals.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Trouble is you can't undo what has been done, once the genie is out of the lamp thats it.

Except the OP hasn't told us properly exactly what pieces of information have been disclosed about each license holder. 

If it really is only names, addresses and phone numbers this info is usually available in the public domain anyway, with a bit of skilled goggling.

So no harm done.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Except the OP hasn't told us properly exactly what pieces of information have been disclosed about each license holder. 

If it really is only names, addresses and phone numbers this info is usually available in the public domain anyway, with a bit of skilled goggling.

So no harm done.

Details of info on an earlier thread

It must be a matter of concern that other boat details are being passed onto people renewing their licence, when only their details should be present for verification.

The recent legislation made would indicate CRT are in breach of the data protection laws. Data once sent cannot be unsent.

This is just getting silly ..........................

1. August 22 = Renewal email with 132 attachments of others' licence details etc.

2. August 22 = Ooops email saying I was affected by a data breach (no shit, Sherlock!)

3. August 24 (5.32 pm) = "As one of our affected customers ...." etc. etc. about what they're doing 

4. August 24 (5.34 pm) = "You will be aware etc." but you have not been affected by this data breach it says in bold in a couple of places

I lie here with bated breath waiting for the next instalment in what is beginning to turn into a soap opera ....................................

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

CART have just very kindly sent me an e-mail to tell me that my information was not amongst those distributed. I wonder how they know so quickly.

That means you probably were!!

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:44, Arthur Marshall said:

To be honest, names, addresses and phone numbers aren't a particularly dangerous data breach.  the first you can get from the electoral roll and the last from the phone book sites.

I don't believe there is any way whatsoever, once data is held on a computer, to keep it genuinely secure. All the evidence points the other way and we just have to live with it.  It's the price you play for having these toys to play with.

So you wouldn't be concerned if someone who has that list watches your boat go by, looks it up on the list, double checks it against Reg Number, confirms it's you,  Then after getting your address goes round your house and burgles you?

I would.

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

So you wouldn't be concerned if someone who has that list watches your boat go by, looks it up on the list, double checks it against Reg Number, confirms it's you,  Then after getting your address goes round your house and burgles you?

I would.

:D

You may win the top prize on Ernie at the same time - it's probably about as likely.

Unfortunately we live in a society that now fears the threat of a criminal act far more than the actual possibility of this happening.Why would a criminal bother to burgle,when with a little more information easily obtained,he could rob some poor sod blind from the comfort of his armchair.

The world wide web thingy has an awful lot to answer for.??

I have just got 2 emails from CRT. One says my information has been  distributed, the other that it hasn't. I expect it's because I  have 2 boats for licensing. 

For those people that have received my details in error, could you please delete that information at your earliest convenience? Thank you.?

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I would.

My wife would sort them out. She scares the hell out of me, which is why I go boating on my own... 

Ha ha ha!  I just wouldn't want to give them a chance.

I was sitting in A&E one night in Lincoln having been mugged on Halloween's Night by a zombie, and got talking to a ghost that had tripped over its sheet and gone head first down some stairs.  She told me that a couple of years previous, she and her boyfriend got picked up from their flat in the early morning and taken to East Midlands Airport for a flight out on holiday.

After sitting in the lounge they realised they hadn't brought their passports, so he dashed out and caught a taxi back home.  Upon arrival he found the first taxi driver and brothers moving all their belongings into a hire van.