Dlsplaying paper licence

Clodi

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Correct.

Do they really have such modern technology ? I have seen nothing more than a clipboard and pen.

Yes.

After some 'verbal' from Boaters, they have been told not to ask for reg No or licence expiry dates - if they cannot see them, just 'let it go'.

I think they assess the boater and make a decision as to if they are 'likely to get a mouthful' as I still occasionally get asked.

13 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Because some people seem to want to rebel against everything. 

Then just do not pay the licence if you want to be a rebel.  I don’t think you are much of a big time reblel for paying best part of a thousand quid for a licence and then not actually displaying it, sounds rather sad and pathetic really.

• Greenie 2

On the Broads Toll Plaques must be displayed on each side of the bows, likewise the Reg number .must be displayed either side of the bows and on the transom.

No excuses accepted by the Nav Rangers. All vessels must comply right down to inflatables.  Because everybody complies peer pressure ensures that evasion is very very low,   let's face it who wants to be bad mouthed down the pub

Phil 

• Greenie 1

On 23/08/2018 at 17:35, Alan de Enfield said:

Poor boat design / specification then.

I'm sure you knew the licence requirements when you decided on 'that' boat. Its a bit like people coming moving to a village and then complaining about the campanologists, or moving within sound of an RAF base and complaining about the jet-engine noise.

Image result for brass boat licence holder

Today I spoke with a full time C&RT employee of some years experience and he said C&RT  do wish licenses to be displayed . 

He also said  there are understood to be increased patrols looking for unlicensed boats.

Also spotted a brand new blue sign asking for license to be displayed.

Therefore it is necessary to  display the  license to avoid any issues. 

On 27/08/2018 at 16:23, Paul HD said:

I like the old Logo of the C&RT and the British waterways, so I got on the scroll saw and cut these.

Looks better than the old brittle plastic wallet that stuck on the window at the moment.

IMG_7563.JPG.a696c2031fb54c7a9270ab1e2d66b6d8.JPG

They Look really nice, you should sell them, I'd certainly buy them. ?

49 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Today I spoke with a full time C&RT employee of some years experience and he said C&RT  do wish licenses to be displayed . 

He also said  there are understood to be increased patrols looking for unlicensed boats.

Also spotted a brand new blue sign asking for license to be displayed.

Therefore it is necessary to  display the  license to avoid any issues. 

I still don't get it. If I display my license number the CRT can tell if I'm all up to date with my payments . I'm all for a crackdown on the no payers but if we need paper license why do they not send one (2) out every year with holograms or some such anti-forgery device rather like the DVLA used to issue. I've gone paperless so not really sure how to get my copies done.

On 23/08/2018 at 20:23, Alan de Enfield said:

The Trent Lockies 'hand-held' computers are not linked to the 'main' system - they do not even have any link to co-ordinate movement records. A friend was challenged for insufficient movement despite having gone most of the way down the Trent, and back again a week or so later (about a 1 month trip). They gave C&RT their log and C&RT confirmed that there was no records of their movements. The Lockie at Nether Lock (another friend, lived in our Marina) offered to download the relevant records and attend court on the boaters behalf if it came to that.

The accusations of no-movement was quietly dropped.

Joined up thinking - joined up technology, - not this Charity !!

And all the other manned locks, Anderton Lift, Liverpool Link, Montgomery, Harecastle, Standedge. Probably others. All take your number but it doesn't appear on your movement records. 

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

How do I find 'movement records'? 

If ever you are an in patient in hospital they keep a record of your movements. :D

Or they did the last time I was an in patient.

Seriously if you email CRT: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/boat-licence-customer-support-team/how-we-monitor-boat-movement

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/8515.pdf

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

I still don't get it. If I display my license number the CRT can tell if I'm all up to date with my payments . I'm all for a crackdown on the no payers but if we need paper license why do they not send one (2) out every year with holograms or some such anti-forgery device rather like the DVLA used to issue. I've gone paperless so not really sure how to get my copies done.

I also don't get it ......except it is a legal requirement.

I also don't have a printer at home. So I use the printer at work or I could get my daughter to print the license.

You can print at a local library.

Or Google found a company that offers in store printing

https://www.ryman.co.uk/storelocator#

I expect there are others .

Or you can ask C&RT to send you the paper license. ... ..assuming you have a postal address.

Finding somewhere to print a single page of A4 in store does seem quite difficult and probably not commercialy viable . 

Edited by MartynG

I pay a f******g fortune for my waterside mooring and my licence, I display my reg' number as required I guess even after all that money to be legit I need to stick 2 squares of sun-bleached illegible paper inside my portholes to be legal. Madness

2 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I pay a f******g fortune for my waterside mooring and my licence, I display my reg' number as required I guess even after all that money to be legit I need to stick 2 squares of sun-bleached illegible paper inside my portholes to be legal. Madness

I don't see why it is madness. Back in the day when the law was passed, the printed licence was the only way of immediately proving a boat was licenced.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't see why it is madness. Back in the day when the law was passed, the printed licence was the only way of immediately proving a boat was licenced.

But it’s now 2018 and paper licenses don’t proving anything so it’s just a waistful use of paper.

Edited by Robbo

3 hours ago, Robbo said:

But it’s now 2018 and paper licenses don’t proving anything so it’s just a waistful use of paper.

You mean the internet connection never goes down?  You can get a connection all over the entire system?

The thing with paper is, it doesn't crash.  Admittedly, it does fade in the sun, but this is the first year for ages that's really been a problem.

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

You mean the internet connection never goes down?  You can get a connection all over the entire system?

The thing with paper is, it doesn't crash.  Admittedly, it does fade in the sun, but this is the first year for ages that's really been a problem.

The thing with this paper license is that there is no security features in it, I can easily reproduce one.  So the fact that you have a paper license in your window proves absolutely nothing.

• Greenie 1

How is it going with car road tax evasion now discs are no longer issued? I think I heard on the beeb that evasion has rocketed. The same will happen with CRT probably, if no-one needs to display. CRT will at least have to develop a strategy for dealing with ‘stealth boats’ instead of ignoring them as current policy. 

36 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How is it going with car road tax evasion now discs are no longer issued? I think I heard on the beeb that evasion has rocketed. The same will happen with CRT probably, if no-one needs to display. CRT will at least have to develop a strategy for dealing with ‘stealth boats’ instead of ignoring them as current policy. 

But if you had to print your own road tax disc the evasion would still be high as you could easily replicate one and the chances of getting caught from cameras and roaming checkers are just the same.

Edited by Robbo

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's Madness in that time has moved on. Anyone can forge a paper licence and, let face it it only takes sun-fade and condensation to render them illegible. All the money spare for re-badging would have been better spent enforcing the displaying of our reg' number and developing a system that reconciles the logging of your movement with your current licence..

3 minutes ago, Clodi said:

It's Madness in that time has moved on. Anyone can forge a paper licence and, let face it it only takes sun-fade and condensation to render them illegible. All the money spare for re-badging would have been better spent enforcing the displaying of our reg' number and developing a system that reconciles the logging of your movement with your current licence..

You seem to think CRT have the power to change the law requiring licences to be displayed. This is not the case, thank goodness!