Dlsplaying paper licence

Clodi

Featured Posts

Following on from the excellent  advice on this forum I have recently changed the spelling of my boats name from Latin to Cymraig and can attest to the fact that it is a piece pi** to do.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The name on the boat is a bit of a joke these days. It takes seconds to change it to whatever you want to call it on line now. When I changed my boat I thought I would have to notify and await confirmation but no not anymore, I simply changed it on line and it was instant.

WHAT????????

You mean you changed your boat name and of all the possible names in the world you actually chose "Blue Rinse"?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

WHAT????????

You mean you changed your boat name and of all the possible names in the world you actually chose "Blue Rinse"?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah.......I forgot to alter that, I was taking the Micky out the missus, must change it back ?

7 hours ago, Robbo said:

Briefly when they switched to printing your own license, they mentioned in the social media type areas or it may have been over the phone that you didn't need to display it.  

But has anyone has it say in the letter with the licences attached that they don't need to display them.  On my letter from July this year it say I must display the licences one each side of the boat.

2 hours ago, Clodi said:

Following on from the excellent  advice on this forum I have recently changed the spelling of my boats name from Latin to Cymraig and can attest to the fact that it is a piece pi** to do.

So now you just need to go somewhere where you will use VHF and see it the lockkeepers get the name or make you phonetically spell it :)

4 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

My recollection is that when we started printing our own insecure licence crt said it did not need displaying, but is was quickly pointed out to them, I don’t remember who, that it was a legal requirement and therefore crt should not be encouraging law breaking, so crt changed the comment to something like we don’t need it but legally you must display it.

That's my recollection too. CRT confirmed that licences should be displayed and that is what all the current documentation states. It's unbelievable that people make such an issue over a simple thing. All people need to do is stick a licence visible from either side of the boat and get on with their boating; it's really not difficult.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, rgreg said:

That's my recollection too. CRT confirmed that licences should be displayed and that is what all the current documentation states. It's unbelievable that people make such an issue over a simple thing. All people need to do is stick a licence visible from either side of the boat and get on with their boating; it's really not difficult.

Well, it is if you don’t have a printer.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And if you only have two small portholes on each side. Cuts out 50% of very little light in the first place. 

Poor boat design / specification then.

I'm sure you knew the licence requirements when you decided on 'that' boat. Its a bit like people coming moving to a village and then complaining about the campanologists, or moving within sound of an RAF base and complaining about the jet-engine noise.

6 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Well they do make it awkward, and it’s only busy bodies that give a poo and I don’t give a shit about them.

To be fair, I don't know how much easier they could make it. You have the option to print them, email them to someone who can print them for you (that's what I do as I don't have a printer), or have them posted to you ready printed. 

16 minutes ago, rgreg said:

To be fair, I don't know how much easier they could make it. You have the option to print them, email them to someone who can print them for you (that's what I do as I don't have a printer), or have them posted to you ready printed. 

So if you forget to click the option to be posted, you need to contact them.  Before I just got them posted, but as it’s no real big deal and no real purpose to not display them i don’t see the point in either printing them out or asking them to send some.   To me the self printed ones actually look like someone has done a bad fake!

Edited by Robbo

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

You have to ask tho.

They posted me one without asking, it was too late I had already printed it an put it in the boat anyway.  

I really don’t get why people seem to be so motivated not to display a licence when they have payed for it. It is absolutely clear that CRT require you to do that, even though the licence checkers do need to see it, and some lockkeepers do.  I presume the locks (Trent in this case) do not actually have access to the licence database and some of them want to see the licence to check the expiry date.  Some of them seem happy to just note down the index number though.

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I presume the locks (Trent in this case) do not actually have access to the licence database and some of them want to see the licence to check the expiry date.  Some of them seem happy to just note down the index number though.

The Trent Lockies 'hand-held' computers are not linked to the 'main' system - they do not even have any link to co-ordinate movement records. A friend was challenged for insufficient movement despite having gone most of the way down the Trent, and back again a week or so later (about a 1 month trip). They gave C&RT their log and C&RT confirmed that there was no records of their movements. The Lockie at Nether Lock (another friend, lived in our Marina) offered to download the relevant records and attend court on the boaters behalf if it came to that.

The accusations of no-movement was quietly dropped.

Joined up thinking - joined up technology, - not this Charity !!

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I presume the locks (Trent in this case) do not actually have access to the licence database 

Correct.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Trent Lockies 'hand-held' computers are not linked to the 'main' system

Do they really have such modern technology ? I have seen nothing more than a clipboard and pen.