Dlsplaying paper licence

Clodi

Featured Posts

Rather than interrupt another thread in which Bruceinsanity kindly informed us:

"There are foot patrols carrying handheld devices holding the licence database, checking for unlicensed and overstaying boats. CRT claim that every length is visited at least once per fortnight. In addition, there’s a licence checker page on the CRT website where you can dob in any boat you see without a licence displayed."

I suddenly realised that I have my plastic reg number wedged inside a couple of portholes I haven't printed out the paper licence and' as we only have portholes I really don't want to block the view in or out (apart from the one with my nice shiny compost toilet of course).

As there are chaps and chapessis  with their handheld devices do we still need to bother sticking copies up either side still ?

2 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Rather than interrupt another thread in which Bruceinsanity kindly informed us:

"There are foot patrols carrying handheld devices holding the licence database, checking for unlicensed and overstaying boats. CRT claim that every length is visited at least once per fortnight. In addition, there’s a licence checker page on the CRT website where you can dob in any boat you see without a licence displayed."

I suddenly realised that I have my plastic reg number wedged inside a couple of portholes I haven't printed out the paper licence and' as we only have portholes I really don't want to block the view in or out (apart from the one with my nice shiny compost toilet of course).

As there are chaps and chapessis  with their handheld devices do we still need to bother sticking copies up either side still ?

Officially yes, unofficially no. CRT don’t care as long as they can see the number.

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The tunnel keeper at Harecastle Tunnel checked mine and there is a notice at Anderton lift saying if its not on display you may be required to produce evidence that your boat is licences 

By typing the number into CRT’s license checking site and showing them the result?

If i was that way and wasn’t going to license my boat I could very easily print a fake one out, so IMHO they have no value at all - all it proves is that you have access to a printer!

Edited by Robbo

Paper licences serve a very useful purpose. They keep the nosy busy bodies who haven't the savvy to check the boats registration number against the CRT website, occupied.

If they weren't busy doing this who knows how much trouble they would cause. ?

• Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Paper licences serve a very useful purpose. They keep the nosy busy bodies who haven't the savvy to check the boats registration number against the CRT website, occupied.

If someone say's I'm not displaying my license I just point out to them it's easy to create a fake one and if I was so inclined not to have a license I would do that so busy bodies don't check if I have one.  So the fact that I don't display one probably highlights the fact I do have one as I'm more likely to be checked by busy bodies, and the fact your displaying yours means that your more likely not to have a valid one. :D 

Edited by Robbo

I put a sheet of perspex inside the glass last year and pinned it in, then realised I'd left the licence sandwiched between the glass and the perspex.  It still says 2017.  On the other side I remembered to take the licence off before fitting the perspex so that side displays 2018.  Currently 2017 faces the towpath - I wonder if I'll get an naughtyboy email.

20 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I don't display a paper licence, my index number is displayed. I know my boat is licensed and so do CRT.

I think C&RTs wording is quite important - many people have (conveniently) taken it to mean that C&RT have given 'permission' not to display the licence.

I read it more that "even if you don't comply with the law, we can still check if you are licenced".

Has anyone actually 'got' any current evidence that C&RT say "you do not need to display your licence", as opposed to "we don't need to see it to check you are licenced" ?

C&RT's statement :

Although we don’t need to see your discs to know whether a boat is licensed, it’s still a legal requirement to display them along with your boat name and index number.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Boats have three potential means of identification from the outside for checking. Name, index number and displayed licence. Cars have just one, the number plate. They used to have a second, the tax disc. For several years before that requirement was removed the rules and enforcement for the number plate were tightened. It can only be made by a registered maker on production of the log book. The font, size, spacing and positipn is tightly controlled for automated reading by cameras. This is all checked in the MOT.

On CaRT waters, boat names are not unique, (Kingfisher, Meander, etc). We can sign write index numbers anywhere we want and don't have to use the official aluminium plates. The licence is the only thing that is consistent.

Before CaRT could get rid of the requirement to display a licence they would probably tighten the index number requirement. Just imagine the howls of protest from people having to put aluminium plates on their shiney, expensively sign writen boats.

You still get stealth boats around. No name, no index number, no licence on display.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think C&RTs wording is quite important - many people have (conveniently) taken it to mean that C&RT have given 'permission' not to display the licence.

I read it more that "even if you don't comply with the law, we can still check if you are licenced".

Briefly when they switched to printing your own license, they mentioned in the social media type areas or it may have been over the phone that you didn't need to display it.  

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

Briefly when they switched to printing your own license, they mentioned in the social media type areas or it may have been over the phone that you didn't need to display it.  

Yes - I have seen and heard that previously - BUT - did they mean you didn't need to display it for them to check you were licenced ?

And, I believe that a short time later they were told to no longer 'say it'.

This is the problem with "he said, she said" - the only written evidence I can find is that I quoted above which clearly states the 'disc' should (must ?) be displayed.

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

On CaRT waters, boat names are not unique, (Kingfisher, Meander, etc). We can sign write index numbers anywhere we want and don't have to use the official aluminium plates. The licence is the only thing that is consistent.

The name, number and license are easy to fake if you so wished.  It's the towpath checking that makes "getting away with it" difficult, especially as I presume they can now check easily for clones.

4 minutes ago, Robbo said:

The name, number and license are easy to fake if you so wished.  It's the towpath checking that makes "getting away with it" difficult, especially as I presume they can now check easily for clones.

Yes, two identical boats, name, index, and licence a hundred miles apart in too short a time on the database could be easily flagged up and says this needs looking in to. It might be the same boat, moved on a lorry, or a clone.

Cars can be cloned too. It happened to me many years ago. Was contacted by the police as a car with my licence plate had just been used to try and run over a police officer! Fortunately, my car and I were provably many miles away at the time and I never heard anything more.

Jen

11 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You'd have thought that since the introduction of ANPR on the roads that tax, MOT and insurance dodging would be a thing of the past but every day I see cars on the road that are SORN and have no MOT insurance.  In some cases the same cars have been doing this for several years.

50 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Boats have three potential means of identification from the outside for checking. Name, index number and displayed licence. Cars have just one, the number plate. They used to have a second, the tax disc. For several years before that requirement was removed the rules and enforcement for the number plate were tightened. It can only be made by a registered maker on production of the log book. The font, size, spacing and positipn is tightly controlled for automated reading by cameras. This is all checked in the MOT.

Before CaRT could get rid of the requirement to display a licence they would probably tighten the index number requirement. Just imagine the howls of protest from people having to put aluminium plates on their shiney, expensively sign writen boats.

You still get stealth boats around. No name, no index number, no licence on display.

Jen

The name on the boat is a bit of a joke these days. It takes seconds to change it to whatever you want to call it on line now. When I changed my boat I thought I would have to notify and await confirmation but no not anymore, I simply changed it on line and it was instant.

My recollection is that when we started printing our own insecure licence crt said it did not need displaying, but is was quickly pointed out to them, I don’t remember who, that it was a legal requirement and therefore crt should not be encouraging law breaking, so crt changed the comment to something like we don’t need it but legally you must display it.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

The name on the boat is a bit of a joke these days. It takes seconds to change it to whatever you want to call it on line now. ............... I simply changed it on line and it was instant.

Perhaps C&RT should be stricter on this subject and should enforce the law.  Maybe people would be less inclined to disobey the rules.

Changing a boat name has never required any greatly involved process other than the greatly enhanced risk of disaster unless all of the rules are obeyed. All traces of the old name must first be removed from the boat including the name written on any paper , and only then may the new name be applied with due ceremony . The ceremony has to involve some fizzy wine and a drop of that spilled into the water to keep the sea gods happy. If the old name of the boat must never be mentioned again. If these rules are not obeyed something horrible could happen to the boat and its crew and the sea gods would not come to help. Or worse still the gods could be offended and the boat and crew may be lost without trace.

These risks are far higher than any issues with not displaying a C&RT license. However I do display a license – usually.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Never seen so many unnamed boats as on a recent trip up the Macclesfield and Peak Forest.  I passed one group of 5 moored boats and only one had a name.  It is a requirement isn't it?  Apart from those in the witness protection scheme, are there any legitimate reasons I'm unaware of?

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Never seen so many unnamed boats as on a recent trip up the Macclesfield and Peak Forest.  I passed one group of 5 moored boats and only one had a name.  It is a requirement isn't it?  Apart from those in the witness protection scheme, are there any legitimate reasons I'm unaware of?

Laziness.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Mine has a name, but it's not displayed on the boat yet as it's getting a repaint.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps C&RT should be stricter on this subject and should enforce the law.  Maybe people would be less inclined to disobey the rules.

Changing a boat name has never required any greatly involved process other than the greatly enhanced risk of disaster unless all of the rules are obeyed. All traces of the old name must first be removed from the boat including the name written on any paper , and only then may the new name be applied with due ceremony . The ceremony has to involve some fizzy wine and a drop of that spilled into the water to keep the sea gods happy. If the old name of the boat must never be mentioned again. If these rules are not obeyed something horrible could happen to the boat and its crew and the sea gods would not come to help. Or worse still the gods could be offended and the boat and crew may be lost without trace.

These risks are far higher than any issues with not displaying a C&RT license. However I do display a license – usually.

Claptrap ?

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The name on the boat is a bit of a joke these days. It takes seconds to change it to whatever you want to call it on line now. When I changed my boat I thought I would have to notify and await confirmation but no not anymore, I simply changed it on line and it was instant.

CRT do signwriting now?

Wow, no wonder the maintenance backlog is growing ?