Oxford Canal Water Level

mark99

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Hi

The pound that was reported in here that drops a lot overnight.... near Banbury. Is this the pound above or below the Banbury town lock?

Tia

It was the pound below Banbury lock. BUT I am parked in Banbury at moment and its Been lousy below grants lock since yesterday when I came up it was a foot down. I had to put full power on to get in at the bottom of the lock yesterday to get into it and I've got a sensible boat for this day and age with a two foot draught. Cart have been here today and boats have been getting thro as cart dropped loads of water down thro a couple of pounds including Banbury to get stuff moving. Two unladen historics did manage to get thro but it ain't good at present ?

57 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It was the pound below Banbury lock. BUT I am parked in Banbury at moment and its Been lousy below grants lock since yesterday when I came up it was a foot down. I had to put full power on to get in at the bottom of the lock yesterday to get into it and I've got a sensible boat for this day and age with a two foot draught. Cart have been here today and boats have been getting thro as cart dropped loads of water down thro a couple of pounds including Banbury to get stuff moving. Two unladen historics did manage to get thro but it ain't good at present ?

Something for us to look forward to later in the week!

We're just below Pigeon lock tonight and will be going through the Heyfords tomorrow doing about 3 hours a day.

The (relatively) plentiful water of the Thames seems so long ago already.

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Something for us to look forward to later in the week!

We're just below Pigeon lock tonight and will be going through the Heyfords tomorrow doing about 3 hours a day.

The (relatively) plentiful water of the Thames seems so long ago already.

Hi Sean

yes u can forget the proper boating it's now back to ditch crawling. We r nipping up to Coventry area this week so hoping claydon etc is better than of late.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Sean

yes u can forget the proper boating it's now back to ditch crawling. We r nipping up to Coventry area this week so hoping claydon etc is better than of late.

Hi Tim - we've also got breakfast at The Pig Place to look forward to in a couple of days so it ain't all bad. Fortunately.

Just now, Lily Rose said:

Hi Tim - we've also got breakfast at The Pig Place to look forward to in a couple of days so it ain't all bad. Fortunately.

Bloody marvelous ? I had brekky there yesterday. Blooming stuffed especialy with two duck eggs thrown in with the pig ?

Just an update for anyone heading this way. There is nowt much about today on this section with very little movement. The claydon flight is fine with plenty of water, a couple of pounds are down slightly but nowt to trouble anybody we have just parked top of flight ish and of course ain't going anywhere till after the lousy weather we are promised for tomorrow.

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:47, mrsmelly said:

Bloody marvelous ? I had brekky there yesterday. Blooming stuffed especialy with two duck eggs thrown in with the pig ?

On a point of order - is the Pig Place now under changed management?  Last time we stopped there it seemed a bit gloomy and Mrs Pig was a bit offhand?

Now I see a practical website with all sorts of options to make the place buzz a bit more.

6 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

On a point of order - is the Pig Place now under changed management?  Last time we stopped there it seemed a bit gloomy and Mrs Pig was a bit offhand?

Now I see a practical website with all sorts of options to make the place buzz a bit more.

No it's still Sara and Dean, very nice too. It is now even better as the camping on site is now adult only so nobody else's uncontrolled brats running around causing mayhem AND there is now a bar with very very very reasonable pricing. Of course theeeeee best brekky and with proper piggy stuff and eggs ??

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No it's still Sara and Dean, very nice too. It is now even better as the camping on site is now adult only so nobody else's uncontrolled brats running around causing mayhem AND there is now a bar with very very very reasonable pricing. Of course theeeeee best brekky and with proper piggy stuff and eggs ??

Thanks Tim,

It's good that they've found another income stream to keep them going!

Is it an all day breakfast -  or what are the hours for brekkie to be served?

It would be nice for one's luncheon stop doncha know...

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

Thanks Tim,

It's good that they've found another income stream to keep them going!

Is it an all day breakfast -  or what are the hours for brekkie to be served?

It would be nice for one's luncheon stop doncha know...

I must confess as to not checking times out, I reckon it probably depends how many peeps are about? We had brekky about 11.15 a few days ago but they served people after us. We love it there and know Sara and Dean, they came along and did fabulous pulled pork food for me on my birthday at  Heyford at our caff so the missus didn't have to bother. ?

Hi Rog - it wasn't too traumatic for me, I'm used to seeing my own face in the mirror every morning!

We had an excellent breakfast at The Pig Place this morning and then bought some sausages and pork chops for the next couple of days. Mrs Pig seemed fine to me, we all have our off days so maybe Oldgoat caught her on one of those. Breakfast is not all day any more, starts at 8 and finishes (I think) at 11.30. We were there at lunchtime when we headed south 6 weeks ago and had pork and apple burgers and chips for lunch. They now have different menus for breakfast, lunch and evening to give the campers a better choice.

We are now moored in Banbury and plan to stop overnight at Cropredy next, possibly Sunday depending on what tomorrow's weather looks like... the alternative is staying here and running the engine on the spot, which I try to avoid if possible, as solar looks like being a washout 

We'll be catching you up at this rate Tim!

I wonder if Athy or MtB will be about when we reach Cropredy?

Water levels have given us no problems so far. Grants lock was no problem and the pound below Banbury was down a fair bit but nothing like as bad as 6 weeks ago when boats ahead of us were stuck at lift bridge 171.

Sean

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

We had an excellent breakfast at The Pig Place this morning and then bought some sausages and pork chops for the next couple of days. Mrs Pig seemed fine to me, we all have our off days so maybe Oldgoat caught her on one of those.

She was probably eyeing up Old Goat with a view to slaughtering him and starting a new line in goat steaks.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Hi Rog - it wasn't too traumatic for me, I'm used to seeing my own face in the mirror every morning!

We had an excellent breakfast at The Pig Place this morning and then bought some sausages and pork chops for the next couple of days. Mrs Pig seemed fine to me, we all have our off days so maybe Oldgoat caught her on one of those. Breakfast is not all day any more, starts at 8 and finishes (I think) at 11.30. We were there at lunchtime when we headed south 6 weeks ago and had pork and apple burgers and chips for lunch. They now have different menus for breakfast, lunch and evening to give the campers a better choice.

We are now moored in Banbury and plan to stop overnight at Cropredy next, possibly Sunday depending on what tomorrow's weather looks like... the alternative is staying here and running the engine on the spot, which I try to avoid if possible, as solar looks like being a washout 

We'll be catching you up at this rate Tim!

I wonder if Athy or MtB will be about when we reach Cropredy?

Water levels have given us no problems so far. Grants lock was no problem and the pound below Banbury was down a fair bit but nothing like as bad as 6 weeks ago when boats ahead of us were stuck at lift bridge 171.

Sean

Thanks for the info!

I think my comment was due to some challenges at the time - I think the place was up for sale  at that time - so it seems to have turned around, which is great. So many waterside enterprises (not only on the canals) do have problems in attracting customers and that's great.

19 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Thanks for the info!

I think my comment was due to some challenges at the time - I think the place was up for sale  at that time - so it seems to have turned around, which is great. So many waterside enterprises (not only on the canals) do have problems in attracting customers and that's great.

Stayed in Banbury today due to the sh1t weather, though it is improving now, and cooked Mrs Pig's pork chops for Sunday lunch.

Bloody marvellous!

So much so that I'm going to have to think about sometimes doing the Banbury to Oxford bit of the journey home from the marina using a different road so I can call in and get some more of their lovely "sandy and black" pork products.

11 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Stayed in Banbury today due to the sh1t weather, though it is improving now, and cooked Mrs Pig's pork chops for Sunday lunch.

Bloody marvellous!

So much so that I'm going to have to think about sometimes doing the Banbury to Oxford bit of the journey home from the marina using a different road so I can call in and get some more of their lovely "sandy and black" pork products.

You have a pm.

On 25/08/2018 at 17:17, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do they have a vegan menu there?

There is a bar with a restaurant called The Sir Loin just outside Smithfield meat market in London which is or was open at strange times to serve the staff at the market.  They were famous for their breakfasts and it was quite an extensive menu.  At the end of the menu there was a section headed with the word ‘Vegetarian’ beneath this title was the line

“What vegetarian options do you offer” underneath which was the line ”Please remember where you are”.  There was nothing listed. ?. It was a brilliant place for breakfast just a little expensive.

May I ask is The Pig Place it’s true name or is it just referred to as that?  I absolutely love pork but these days it is rubbish unless it is either rare breed or outdoor reared by true pig lovers.

1 minute ago, Dartagnan said:

There is a bar with a restaurant called The Sir Loin just outside Smithfield meat market in London which is or was open at strange times to serve the staff at the market.  They were famous for their breakfasts and it was quite an extensive menu.  At the end of the menu there was a section headed with the word ‘Vegetarian’ beneath this title was the line

“What vegetarian options do you offer” underneath which was the line ”Please remember where you are”.  There was nothing listed. ?. It was a brilliant place for breakfast just a little expensive.

May I ask is The Pig Place it’s true name or is it just referred to as that?  I absolutely love pork but these days it is rubbish unless it is either rare breed or outdoor reared by true pig lovers.

It is called the pig place and they rear their own pork outside on the premises. It's impossible to buy better at any butchers or sooper market that I've been to. Mention the word " vegan " and it quite rightly be dismissed ?

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It is called the pig place and they rear their own pork outside on the premises. It's impossible to buy better at any butchers or sooper market that I've been to. Mention the word " vegan " and it quite rightly be dismissed ?

Thank you very much.  I will definitely try to visit.

I'm definitely no connoisseur of meat but the pork chops we had today were in a different league to what we normally have. I believe their pigs are Oxford Sandy and Black which are so rare they almost became extinct 20 years ago.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Dartagnan said:

Thank you very much.  I will definitely try to visit.

If you like Barbies? You have to be careful if you are used to pork chops or belly pork from a supermarket as this stuff is so good it spits and sets fire to your surroundings, it's the difference between real beer and lager!