feeding ducks

dogless

Featured Posts

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is no known case of a fish ever getting angel wing, so that proves bread is safe to eat. 

Dunno about humans though...

White sliced bread is a well known cause of bingo wings in humans as eny fule nos

• Haha 1

I feed our ducks and swans with 'fruity nuggets' rabbit or guinea pig food pellets. A one and a half kg bag costs only £1.69 and £1.89 respectively from our local B&M store. Much cheaper than bags of so called duck food you buy from the canalside shops. The wildfowl go mad for it and it must surely have more nutritional value than bread.

I'll have a look for those next time I'm in B&M. For a while we used floating fish food pellets from Poundland but stocks were erratic so we decided we needed to conserve what we have for our fish pond. All the birds loved them though and, not surprisingly, they float well!

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why feed them in the first place

An excellent point to which there is, for much of the year, no logical answer. In winter, when there's frost and snow on the ground, many birds cannot gain access to their habitual food, it's helpful to supplement their food supply. For the rest of the year, er....in my case, I put food out for our garden birds all the year round because I like seeing the birds and because my parents did, so I was brought up thinking of bird-feeding as normal behaviour.

17 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Catching Anatidaephobia must be very scary for narrowboat dwellers. ?

ducks.jpg

Yep, must be frightening, never fear tho' there is a antidote, it's called Getagripaphobia.  Never fails.....?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Catching Anatidaephobia must be very scary for narrowboat dwellers. ?

ducks.jpg

The ducks and swans near me suffer from cynophobia, because if they come close to my garden Zeus chases them away.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynophobia

Edited by cuthound
Missing worm

On 22/08/2018 at 12:28, mrsmelly said:

People and their kids have fed bread to ducks for ever. The countryside is not littered with dead ducks and swans. People will continue to feed birdies with bread. Gimmicks come and go. Of course many ducks will be gluten intolerant innitt ?

But now the world has many more people feeding the birds and consequently in some busy places there's been a big rise in numbers of ducks, geese and swans. Go to Windsor on a sunny weekend - the human overpopulation is feeding the overpopulation of birds and the water looks like bread soup. 

There is also the issue of vermin it attracts. Many a time I've seen folk throw slice after slice of bread into or beside the water, and sometimes a whole loaf. There's far too much for the wildfowl and the rats feed on the leftovers.