Sailaway 60x12ft

Luke186

Featured Posts

I have embarked on a huge project. I m going to build my own boat. No, never done this before but thats where adventure lies. 

Starting with bulkheads and electrics. 6mm soft plywood for deck head , 18mm plywood or block wood  for bulkheads? And what thickness people usually use for the side panels, please?

Could I suggest the OP buys if still available either the original or later edition of "Narrow Boat Builders handbook" I think they were published by Waterways World I know the OP has a Wide Beam but the general principals are same/similar & cover most of the questions he will be asking

I would love to build my own boat but,I don't have the knowledge,the skill,or the courage.You're a braver man than me,Ludy.

Perhaps listening to the music of Anton Dvorak with the volume turned up,while you work will help and also cover the noise of hammering and sawing.

Suggest his Slavonic Dances.

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Could I suggest the OP buys if still available either the original or later edition of "Narrow Boat Builders handbook" I think they were published by Waterways World I know the OP has a Wide Beam but the general principals are same/similar & cover most of the questions he will be asking

Good suggestion. I purchased the very same book when I fitted a new she'll in 99/2000. I wouldn't do another it's a fair amount of work. I used some 25 mil and some 18 mil for bulkheads and lined in 9 mil.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Good suggestion. I purchased the very same book when I fitted a new she'll in 99/2000. I wouldn't do another it's a fair amount of work. I used some 25 mil and some 18 mil for bulkheads and lined in 9 mil.

What's this "mil" thing?

I thought you only worked in imperial? ?

Just now, cuthound said:

What's this "mil" thing?

I thought you only worked in imperial? ?

I blooming well try to but when I go to buy stuff now the twelve year old has to ask his fourteen year old line manager who then has to ask the fifteen year old store manager what I mean and as non of them has any idea I have to buy the eight feet by four feet sheets in mills ?