Elton Moss Boats

70liveaboard

Featured Posts

See in a recent list that this builder came top in 'Rank boat builders'. It was taken from an average, so not to be used as gospel or anything. But it spiked my interest in Elton Moss and Kings Lock, having knew Sivewright for a short time back in the day. I assume he is no longer there, so was wondering if anyone on here had bought a boat from these builders/sales ?

What was it like steel wise and fit wise.

I think the previous fitter was from Pipers originally, moved on to form his own now. So just wondering.

The slipway and sheds at Kings lock are now Elton Moss (and other companies in the group).  They were formerly on the Trent & Mersey along with Northwich Boat Company and others in the group.  At one time Elton moss shells were being made in eastern Europe and may well still be so.  Mick Sivewright now operates out of Aqueduct Marina, as Cheshire Marine, mostly run I think by his daughter.  He does basically the same engines as Vetus, but painted silver instead of gold plating, sold i think as 'Craftsman Engines'.  Steve Wedgwood still runs the chandlery and other boat services from the Kings Lock shop;  The slipway is round the back of the shop and Steve occasionally hires it.

Elton Moss shells are regarded as good quality.

10 minutes ago, dor said:

The slipway and sheds at Kings lock are now Elton Moss (and other companies in the group).  They were formerly on the Trent & Mersey along with Northwich Boat Company and others in the group.  At one time Elton moss shells were being made in eastern Europe and may well still be so.  Mick Sivewright now operates out of Aqueduct Marina, as Cheshire Marine, mostly run I think by his daughter.  He does basically the same engines as Vetus, but painted silver instead of gold plating, sold i think as 'Craftsman Engines'.  Steve Wedgwood still runs the chandlery and other boat services from the Kings Lock shop;  The slipway is round the back of the shop and Steve occasionally hires it.

Elton Moss shells are regarded as good quality.

Ah thanks.

Mick Sivewright was a vetus agent at one time (long time ago). I forget these people are ageing as fast as I am and they were younger in many cases, so where does time go.. :(

I knew Elton were/are using shells from abroad, not sure if that is for quality or better price trade wise, not that it matters provided they're good. I had someone ask the other day who they were and I said I had no idea really, other than odd bits. But Kings Lock I was pretty familiar with, way back.

Not really surprised Mick would be doing his own thing with engines, Mitsubishi perhaps, as he was very familiar with them. Not heard of Craftsman engines, would have to look that up. Does he supply engines to Elton Moss then too ?

Do they fit the boats out down at Kings Lock, or is that done abroad too and just brought in complete ?

Didn't know Steve Wedgwood so.

The Craftsman engines I have seen are virtually identical to the Vetus equivalents, built on a Mitsubishi base.  Can't say if he supplies Elton Moss with engines.  I think the Elton Moss eastern european boats are fitted out abroad as well, though I could be wrong and some of my knowledge is from five or six years ago so might have changed.  Elton Moss also do fairly upmarket share boats as 'Carefree Cruising'.

Steve took over the kings lock chandlery from Mick some twelve or so years ago.  He also used the arm behind that leads to the slipway, but I think use of the arm went with the sheds.  Dream Narrowboats also used to fit out their boats in the arm,   Mick stayed on with his Vetus dealership in the sheds at Kings Lock before relocating to Aqueduct marina and Elton Moss taking over the sheds and slipway.

6 hours ago, dor said:

The Craftsman engines I have seen are virtually identical to the Vetus equivalents, built on a Mitsubishi base.  Can't say if he supplies Elton Moss with engines.  I think the Elton Moss eastern european boats are fitted out abroad as well, though I could be wrong and some of my knowledge is from five or six years ago so might have changed.  Elton Moss also do fairly upmarket share boats as 'Carefree Cruising'.

Steve took over the kings lock chandlery from Mick some twelve or so years ago.  He also used the arm behind that leads to the slipway, but I think use of the arm went with the sheds.  Dream Narrowboats also used to fit out their boats in the arm,   Mick stayed on with his Vetus dealership in the sheds at Kings Lock before relocating to Aqueduct marina and Elton Moss taking over the sheds and slipway.

Thank you very much for the update and information. It is nice to hear Mick is still active and around the industry. I thought it would be Mitsubishi he stuck with, good engines, fairly cheap to buy trade (in comparison), once your buying in batches.

Regards Elton Moss, I would imagine its a better idea to have them completed abroad then brought in, maybe without engine and have that fitted here as the last thing. Although that too perhaps, is best done abroad..

Its also nice to hear Kings Lock is still busy and active.

Years go by quickly for us, but for 'places', doesn't seem to go by at all sometimes, which is nice.

We'll have to try and get back up there and have a look around at the boats etc, will be nice, maybe even nostalgic, its been a long time. We knew Mick from when he had a shed there at Nantwich Boat Yard, 'boat centre' as it is now, back in the early 80's, I guess. Dealt with him in the 90's too, engine wise early on.

Thanks anyway, its been enlightening.