too p or not too p

haza

Featured Posts

hello every one ,as i dont think this post merits to be among the already ,bogs piss  and crap debate ,,but it was some thing clodi said whom bye the way i agree with 100 per cent  i dont think there is a man alive or a women ,for that matter  who  as not been took short  in the pee department .but if there is  any one out there who as never been took short ,,can i ask are you a member of canal world .in the day most human waste went in the cut along with all the other stuff from foundrys factorys and the like  ..where does the saying bucket and chuckit  come from ..and yes thanks be the canals and rivers are so much better and cleaner theses day and  long may it continue to be that way ,but come on you expect me to believe some members of canal world have never put pee in the cut ..no nay never will i ever be having that ,,so you guys like polls have you put pee in the cut i have and  i am a she ..not for many years i have not tho may i add ..mr would pee up the tree if there was now one abt 

I’ve been known to boat along, single handed, tiller in one hand, tool in t’other.....vital to check wind direction before easing springs! And, of course, only in appropriate locations. After all, I’m keeping the level up....?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dave moore said:

I’ve been known to boat along, single handed, tiller in one hand, tool in t’other.....vital to check wind direction before easing springs! And, of course, only in appropriate locations. After all, I’m keeping the level up....?

I have heard on good authority that this activity is the actual origin of the expression "going to the loo"" 

On sailing vessels, sit down business was generally accomplished on seats, or benches, with no centre, located directly above the water alongside of the bowsprit, under the headsails, Hence the term "the heads" has been retained for marine toilets even after they were moved indoors.

For males wanting a pee,  they just ducked down to the downwind side, (or in sailing talk,  leward side.)  pronounced loo'ad. Just off to the loo was therefore the term to request a temporary private absence for a visit to the lee rail.

Edited by DandV
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, dave moore said:

easing springs

That takes me back!

1 hour ago, DandV said:

On sailing vessels, sit down business was generally accomplished on seats, or benches, with no centre, located directly above the water alongside of the bowsprit, under the headsails, Hence the term "the heads" has been retained for marine toilets even after they were moved indoors.

For males wanting a pee,  they just ducked down to the downwind side, (or in sailing talk,  leward side.)  pronounced loo'ad. Just off to the loo was therefore the term to request a temporary private absence for a visit to the lee rail.

Hadn't heard either of those before - thanks.

10 hours ago, dave moore said:

It’s what deep narrow locks were made for...however it seems to be frowned on when sharing a wide lock for some reason...oh and watch out for tall office blocks overlooking the locks...farmers bridge springs to mind .....?

Edited by frangar

7 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Over the years I've learned so much from so many former working boatmen that has made so much difference, but the relevant tip given to me for single handed male boaters is to carry a fabric softener bottle.

I'm never without one!

Cheers Ed ?

James

Comfort? 

LN_842900_BP_11.jpg

Back in the day of fewer boats & leisure boats with loo's that dumped it in the cut concern was shown over the Welsh cut due to Hurleston "resie" being used as a source for Manchester's drinking water Tests were carried out on the water taken at set intervals & the nearer the water was to Hurleston  the purer  it turned out ,the mix of  vegitation & other stuff canceled each other out  as the number of boats increased the ingredients became unbalanced so a ban was placed on through hull "bogs"  I remember at the time the "Experts were mistified & amazed & came back 2/3 times in different weather conditions to re test /check I was hired 1 time as the traveling Lab & saw one of the guys later & he confirmed the readings were correct the first couple or so tests

6 hours ago, DandV said:

I have heard on good authority that this activity is the actual origin of the expression "going to the loo"" 

The explanation, I thought, was:  Gardy Loo: Scottish origin; the exclamation a Scottish person would shout as they prepared to throw a bucket of slops out of a window. It is supposed to derive from the French "gardez l'eau" or "mind the water".

You're right about the heads, though.

6 hours ago, frangar said:

It’s what deep narrow locks were made for...however it seems to be frowned on when sharing a wide lock for some reason...oh and watch out for tall office blocks overlooking the locks...farmers bridge springs to mind .....?

I gave up on all such relief in locks after I heard the commanding voice of a school teacher call out "Now children, gather round"!

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Comfort? 

LN_842900_BP_11.jpg

Yes indeed. The size of the bottle neck is what is important to most of us.

4 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

There's always a fisherperson behind a bush who appears when taking relief while steering.

This thread gives a whole new meaning to the term 'forum member'.  Not that I've ever seen any of this surreptitious peeing

But what about ladies?  What are we supposed to do?

9 hours ago, frangar said:

This reminds me of a friend of mine who used to collect/deliver large skips and he was caught desperately short one day and he parked roadside and climbed into the partly filled skip he had collected in desperation and was mid evacuation when a passing double decker bus had to wait in traffic with lots of people peering from top deck into his skip.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

But what about ladies?  What are we supposed to do?

See post #2. My newly patented rusty heshewee, available at all good stockists . Its wot i use, being a lady! 

(ok, its really my dinghy bailer, made from an old bleach bottle) 

Edited by rusty69

22 hours ago, dave moore said:

Actually, no : the liquid now in the cut was formerly, while in the boatman on the boat, displacing its own weight of water . The additional volume outside the boat is counterbalanced by the reduced displacement, and so the level remains unchanged.