So the locks are closed

mayalld

Featured Posts

Having (optimistically) re-booked my week holiday at work for September, I just tried CRT's live chat to ask if there was any update on the Bosley closure as the notice was from 23 July.  I was told that Bosley was in fact open with restricted passage, but then realised she was just reading the start of the stoppage notice, and hadn't read the later part saying that it was closed from 13 August.   Anyway, I have just had a call back, saying that they can't give a definite date, but in the next few weeks are planning to open the locks at restricted times to allow boats to get to where they need to.  He is going to update the stoppage notice.      

Edited by Chris T

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:02, captain birdseye said:

We went past there on Monday too, and I can't see them draining the whole length to do repairs under that bridge, so hopefully we will still have somewhere to go this autumn

OK,

after a series of e-mails to CRT that got different replies each time about how this will work (some saying it will be open, some that it will be closed), and Andy Bailey at the trading post having had a message on twitter from CRT that it will stay open, I lost patience and said that I didn't want to speak to the office staff guessing what the stoppage notice means.

I asked to speak to the engineer for a definitive answer.

Well, I've just had the Project Manager for this piece of work on the phone. Nice chap, who apologised for the lack of clarity in the stoppage notice.

He has confirmed that the plan is to put stop planks in at 15, and a temporary dam just upstream of 14A.

So, that's the 20 mile pound cut in half.

Looking at the first photo in post #5 the effect of "Elfin safety " possibly adds at least 100% time on to the repair/job by the time all the safety fencing etc had been erected back in the day the task would have been more or less complete & in terms of gate replacement a few sets of experienced boots on the ground & a set of sheer legs & 1/2to a day later & the job was a "good un"

The stoppage notice has been updated today:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12878/bridge-14a-burgess-arm-towpath-bridge-near-higher-poynton-macclesfield-canal

Still no change to the notice for Bosley that CRT told me would be updated last week to reflect the partial re-opening, so no idea whether or not that is happening any time soon.

On 04/09/2018 at 10:22, X Alan W said:

Looking at the first photo in post #5 the effect of "Elfin safety " possibly adds at least 100% time on to the repair/job by the time all the safety fencing etc had been erected back in the day the task would have been more or less complete & in terms of gate replacement a few sets of experienced boots on the ground & a set of sheer legs & 1/2to a day later & the job was a "good un"

and how often were there serious injurious accidents?

One of the facts about 21C life we should be proud about is the very low level of industrial injuries and accidents - and many that do occur are found to be the result of ignoring agreed H&S good practice.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

and how often were there serious injurious accidents?

One of the facts about 21C life we should be proud about is the very low level of industrial injuries and accidents - and many that do occur are found to be the result of ignoring agreed H&S good practice./

I have no doubt there was possibly accidents although the years I boated full time I cannot remember an accident that would have been prevented by the use of all the safety kit around the lock in the photo Do you think that with all the safety precautions this possibly breeds complacency in regards to safety issues ?

3 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I have no doubt there was possibly accidents although the years I boated full time I cannot remember an accident that would have been prevented by the use of all the safety kit around the lock in the photo Do you think that with all the safety precautions this possibly breeds complacency in regards to safety issues ?

No