Rev Counter not 'Counting'

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I used an app on my Android phone, Ullysse Speedometer, which has a slow speed option.

At with the engine  in gear and in reasonably deep water, I noted the speed at 1000rpm, 1500rpm and 2000rpm.

Ah - OK, I don't need to know the speed, I have GPS for that.

Looks like it'll be "G-String then".

I googled it and got some very unsavoury images but I eventually found an app for tuning string instruments - I suppose it is that one.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I googled it and got some very unsavoury images but I eventually found an app for tuning string instruments - I suppose it is that one.

Yup :)

16 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

As you have two rev counters why not connect them both to the same engine in parallel and then calibrate the new one to the existing one.

That's a good plan - there are already 2 tachos running off each engine (inside helm, outside helm but I think they have different senders) so maybe if I disconnect the outside helm and bridge over the two inside helm. ?????????????????

Will it work ?

I don't want to 'blow up' a couple of £80 tacho's

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Looks like it'll be "G-String then".

Yes, it's the type that musicians with a lisp use before they thing a thong.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 21/08/2018 at 14:38, Machpoint005 said:

Is it a Beta, or a similar engine with a multi-pin connector sitting over the gearbox (or somewhere near)? If that is working loose it may exhibit these symptoms -- I know mine did!

Morning,

After a couple of chilly days aboard, this is one of the latest new issues. The needle is stuck at about 1000 revs and the engine hours display is now blank.

Does anyone have any idiot proof instructions/ suggestions on what I should do? This thread was way to technical for me, other than loose connections!

Thanks as always 

Lee

On 21/08/2018 at 22:31, jenevers said:

It’s a free country, I know, but why do you need a tachometer on a canal boat? Just asking.

To set 800 rpm when you want to do the washing and need 240v @ 50 hz on a Beta Tug engine

I use a music tuning app (called G string) that listens to the sound. 

50 Hz = 3000 bangs a minute = 1500 rpm (for a four cylinder four stroke diesel).

[ETA sorry I see I posted the same comment three years ago....]

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I use a music tuning app (called G string) that listens to the sound. 

50 Hz = 3000 bangs a minute = 1500 rpm (for a four cylinder four stroke diesel).

only 3 cylinders, and surely the pully size comes into play

Display going blank is often due to damp.

Take the unit out and place is somewhere warm for a couple of days, if it is damp that should dry it out and it may show again.

Of course it could also be loss of power to the unit.?

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its the inverter part that sets the frequency methinks.  Very few direct drive mains generators on boats.

so what about all the Travel Packs that Beta fitted.

14 minutes ago, Tonka said:

They are "inverter generators" and have a box of electronics that keeps the frequency at 50Hz, despite the engine changing speed. 

15 minutes ago, Tonka said:

They are an alternator combined with an inverter.

Beta did do a "Propgen" which was an engine running at a constant speed of 1500 r.p.m. combined with a 240V generator head, with boat speed controlled by a trolling valve on the gearbox. Not sure if they still supply these units. There is a much modified one fitted to one of our local canal society's trip boats.

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

They are "inverter generators" and have a box of electronics that keeps the frequency at 50Hz, despite the engine changing speed. 

19 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

They are an alternator combined with an inverter.

Beta did do a "Propgen" which was an engine running at a constant speed of 1500 r.p.m. combined with a 240V generator head, with boat speed controlled by a trolling valve on the gearbox. Not sure if they still supply these units. There is a much modified one fitted to one of our local canal society's trip boats.

Not on the old Markon 5KVA model as fitted to the Beta BD3. Trust me i know as i have one. You have to run the engine at 800 rpm

16 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Not on the old Markon 5KVA model as fitted to the Beta BD3. Trust me i know as i have one. You have to run the engine at 800 rpm

What happens to the output when you run faster? 

21 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I was ignoring antique generators on ancient tractor engines!

Just now, Iain_S said:

You get American electricity at 60 Hz, or RAF sparks at 400Hz just before the engine grenades!

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Display going blank is often due to damp.

Take the unit out and place is somewhere warm for a couple of days, if it is damp that should dry it out and it may show again.

Of course it could also be loss of power to the unit.?

Thanks Julian,

Would that explain the needle being stuck too?

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Leemc said:

Thanks Julian,

Would that explain the needle being stuck too?

Cheers

No.

When we bought out last NB it came with 3 rev counters of which only one was installed and the others in their boxes.

The previous owner had instructed the yard to replace the Rev counter as it 'stuck' at between 800 & 1000 rpm when you stopped the engine (Lister LPWS4), they changed the Rev counter and it was exactly the same, so he bought another one and it was exactly the same, never did get to the bottom of it but it looks like it was 'picking up' a bit of leccy as the key was turned off', as soon as you switched the key to the on position it dropped to zero,

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No.

When we bought out last NB it came with 3 rev counters of which only one was installed and the others in their boxes.

The previous owner had instructed the yard to replace the Rev counter as it 'stuck' at between 800 & 1000 rpm when you stopped the engine (Lister LPWS4), they changed the Rev counter and it was exactly the same, so he bought another one and it was exactly the same, never did get to the bottom of it but it looks like it was 'picking up' a bit of leccy as the key was turned off', as soon as you switched the key to the on position it dropped to zero,

My old Barrus Shire did the same dropping to zero when ignition turned back on

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

the 240 volts drop off as engine too fast. Also drops off if too slow.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No.

Beta BD3 tachometer does the same