Bosley Locks closure

Chris T

Featured Posts

We are currently moored / trapped between Marple Locks and Bosley Locks and have a holiday booked from Friday for a long awaited trip.  I've been hoping that the recent rain might be enough for the locks to re-open in time (clutching at straws I know).   I'll have to cancel my holiday at work but knowing my luck, they will re-open the locks the minute I do that.   I've just noticed that the CRT site says that they are now carrying out repair work on some of the Bosley locks while they are closed.  Has anyone walked nearby to see what's happening?  Just thought this might confirm that there's really no chance at all of them reopening in the next week and I will give up hope.....   

@Cheshire Cat of this place reported on another forum that he had walked down the flight to find substantial work going on at lock 5. I think the plan was to be completed by the end of August. You could PM him if he doesn’t reply here.

• 1 month later...

Bosley are to re-open next week.

Notice Alert

Macclesfield Canal
Starts At: Lock 1
Ends At: Lock 12

Monday 23 July 2018 12:45 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Water resources

Update on 28/09/2018:

In the latter half of September the Macclesfield & Peak Forest Canal reservoirs have benefited from significant rainfall, resulting in an increase in water levels both in the reservoirs and the canal. We appreciate this summer has seen significant disruption to our boating customers and many need to return to home and winter moorings. We are now in a position to re-open the canal at the Bosley Flight on 6th October.

However to try and conserve water, we will initially operate with restrictions between 8am and 1pm daily  

•            Last passage at lock 1 and lock 12  will be at 1pm, this is to allow our teams to assist boats through the flight.

We will review these restrictions during the first week with the aim of removing them as soon as possible.

The Bosley Flight will then close on the 5th November to allow the winter works at Locks 8 and Lock 12 to be completed. (The winter works stoppage notices will be updated to reflect time duration changes).

Navigation of the Bosley flight was pretty obviously unsustainable when we went up in May. We were subsequently trapped on that summit for a few days by a not altogether unexpected temporary closure of Bosley whilst awaiting the very brief opening of the Marple. Our Plan B had Marple not worked out in June was to get out of there through Bosley very quickly because it seemed highly likely that the flight would close again and trap us.  Seeing it scheduled to reopen next week, albeit not fully, is a pleasant surprise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Given that CRT 'brought forward' some of the planned winter stoppages works and did them during the drought stoppage does anyone know if the winter stoppage period is now going to be shorter? If not, what was the point of bringing the works forward?

3 hours ago, Gareth E said:

Given that CRT 'brought forward' some of the planned winter stoppages works and did them during the drought stoppage does anyone know if the winter stoppage period is now going to be shorter? If not, what was the point of bringing the works forward?

So that they could get more works done elsewhere, perhaps?