Anyone ever had a cricket onboard

leeco

Featured Posts

I found a cricket ball in the canal at Etruria services last summer. I presume it came from J & G Meakin cricket club which is up by bridge 11 on the Caldon. It had obviously been in the water a long time because it was badly misshapen. Now it has dried out it has gone back to being round again. 

On 21/08/2018 at 09:13, David Mack said:

Cricket on a boat?  Just about possible I suppose, a full length narrow boat is over 22 yards long.

I've been pondering this important question. You definitely can't play a Test match, because that requires a minimum field size, but at lower levels of the game it appears that if the umpires and captains are agreed there's a lot of flexibility. On a narrow boat you need a lot.

Law 6 which specifies the pitch size appears to require a 10 foot width, but for an artificial surface that comes down to 6 feet (and a pitch length of only 58 feet, so there might be space for a wicketkeeper if the boat has very square ends). Therefore if you want to play on grass you need a wide beam. There won't be space for the bowler to have a run up of course.

Boundaries are a serious problem; you have to have them, and if it's the walls then scoring a six will be very easy, but I see no reason why they can't be outside the boat, except that then you're not playing the whole match within the boat, which kind of defeats the object. Maybe play in an unconverted working boat with the cloths down? You probably need to do that anyway, because you must have eleven players of the fielding side plus two batsmen, and if they're all aboard that's over 12 people which could raise insurance issues. The scorers are not on the field, but I'm not sure whether the umpires must be. Certainly the second umpire doesn't have to be at square leg, which is just as well.

many moons ago we played cricket on the heli deck of a cable layer I was navigator on.      To be fair was more of a game of french cricket using rolled up rags as a ball.      You hit a six by going over the sides of the deck, however as it usually ended up in the drink the batsman was also automatically out!  

different ship, different sport ;  a crazy golf course was set up in the bridge of one of my ships, a very good game of skill in timing the shot with the roll of the ship so that the ball ran accross the chart table, port to stbd,  into a waste bin which was the 4th hole.