which stern gland greaser??

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just make absolutely sure the O rings you buy will not be degraded by the grease. Ordinary rubber ones will be. Philjw's link is more likely to get you good advice than an Ebay vendor.

Viton is probably the material to go for. It is resistant to being degraded by most oils and greases. More expensive than nitrile rubber, but nitrile isn't good with oil/grease.

In the unlikely event that you can't find the exact size you need, it is possible to make your own o-rings by buying the appropriate diameter and material rubber cord, cutting to length and gluing the ends with superglue. The ends must be cut very square with a scalpel and the length is critical. There are kits with cutting and splicing jigs you can get.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Viton is probably the material to go for. It is resistant to being degraded by most oils and greases. More expensive than nitrile rubber, but nitrile isn't good with oil/grease.

In the unlikely event that you can't find the exact size you need, it is possible to make your own o-rings by buying the appropriate diameter and material rubber cord, cutting to length and gluing the ends with superglue. The ends must be cut very square with a scalpel and the length is critical. There are kits with cutting and splicing jigs you can get.

Jen

Ah yes - part of the NVQ mechanics practicals. Lost count of the time a student has come to me with two figures and O ring glued together.

• Haha 1

On a related point, is it possible  to buy components for these (pretty standard?) greasers. One of the brass plates that holds the O-ring in place has split. I have turned it round (so it is at the bottom rather than the top) but I really ought to replace it. Many thanks

The embarrassing story of an elastic band.   An FD Vauxhall Victor 101 was the victim.  These cars had a fixed jet Stromberg carburetter. Around the venturi between the top casting and the main lower body was an 0 ring.  My girlfriend at the time and her family were about to leave for Cornwall at midnight when my door knocked and there stood her brother who stated that the car started and then abruptly stopped outside their house. Around I went with a sneaking suspicion that it was that O ring, and it was, perished and snapped with petrol which floods and kills the engine stone dead. The whole family were sitting in it in great impatience, especially mother. No spares shops open at that time of night so I requeted from her father a large elastic band which I doubled and slipped on and screwed the carb top back down.  Engine started up with full throttle to clear the excess petrol. Everyone was suddenly overjoyed and I got a kiss from the girlfriend and even her mother and they drove away waving to me.  I was a bit apprehensive about the repair and at 4am in the early morning proved to be well founded. It broke down in Ilminster on the A303. Petrol had rotted away the elastic band. The AA was sumonned and it took them hours and hours to locate a new genuine O ring for the carb, they had to wait for a Vauxhall dealer to open at 8am.  I couldn't understand whiy they didn't keep a stock of them in their vans ad it was an exstremely common fault.  I was completey ostrosized by the whole family for weeks and weeks after that.    My diagnosis was spot on,  it was just a mere, slight repair blunder.       I didn't even charge her father for fixing it. :angry:  If they'd only been going to Sarfend-on-Sea and back the repair would have lasted superbly.

Edited by bizzard

Just now, Scholar Gypsy said:

But what happened to the gf?

They all moved to Cornwall in the end to avoid the journey and me, probably. I'm still in touch with her, sending cards and things. althouigh she's about 250 miles away, thank goodness.

• Greenie 1