Electric driven boat

rasputin

Featured Posts

Window on the van got stuck down so had to take the door to pieces, limited tools. 

Dog escaped from boat and shat in marina much embarrassment and apologies 

Dropped ne Nicad battery 6 inches top came of, some strong alkali in face. 

Set off, v slow first battery did 15 mins

Realised that much more power in reverse so changed leads another battery another 15 mins

Changed engines to 24v 15 mins, bunt out switch v hot controller, resorted to oar. 

Motor now connected direct to battery and sun charging batteries 

Me drinking cider 

Edited by rasputin
  • Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

We had a ride on an electric driven trip boat yesterday on La Dronne at Bratome. Quite an interesting experience being propelled virtually silently along rather than listening to the sound of a bag of spanners being shaken underneath the deck drowning everything else out.

21 minutes ago, MJG said:

We had a ride on an electric driven trip boat yesterday on La Dronne at Bratome. Quite an interesting experience being propelled virtually silently along rather than listening to the sound of a bag of spanners being shaken underneath the deck drowning everything else out.

I think most people would have electric motors if there was a viable non internal combustion engine method to charge the damn batteries up and sufficient batteries could be maintained at a cost less than the national debt.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I think most people would have electric motors if there was a viable non internal combustion engine method to charge the damn batteries up and sufficient batteries could be maintained at a cost less than the national debt.

I'm not sure how exactly they did it TBH, the boat was propelled by an electric outboard motor, it seated 12 people and they run 4 x 50 minute trips a day. It had no solar evident on board so I'm guessing they just swapped out batteries between trips. Probably charged somewhere else.

39 minutes ago, MJG said:

I'm not sure how exactly they did it TBH, the boat was propelled by an electric outboard motor, it seated 12 people and they run 4 x 50 minute trips a day. It had no solar evident on board so I'm guessing they just swapped out batteries between trips. Probably charged somewhere else.

Torqeedo with replaceable lithium batteries, already charged up and ready to go?

15 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Small nuclear reactor to charge batteries? ??

• Greenie 1

Shirley - if you have an Inverter and a battery charger, just use them to charge the batteries - its certainly viable in the short-term.

15 hours ago, MJG said:

My first narrowboating experience was hiring the electric day boat from the hire place at Mow Cop on the Macc. Enough juice available for a days boating and recharged from the mains overnight ready for the next day. I loved the silent travel and have tried to make my diesel boat as close as I can with a hospital silencer and some sound insulation. Not practical for multi day trips unless you are sure there is charging facilities available each night. You also lose the ability to just moor up in the wilds overnight. The infernal combustion engine still wins out as the best means of propulsion.

Jen

The Earl at Warwick Castle charged his electric boat batteries using the water-wheel generator built in to the castle; that 1896 system has to be one of the most satisfactory methods yet. Riparian houses with solar panel systems could use the daylight to charge theirs with similar low impact on the environment (disregarding the initial panel manufacturing element).

1 hour ago, NigelMoore said:

The Earl at Warwick Castle charged his electric boat batteries using the water-wheel generator built in to the castle; that 1896 system has to be one of the most satisfactory methods yet. Riparian houses with solar panel systems could use the daylight to charge theirs with similar low impact on the environment (disregarding the initial panel manufacturing element).

Yes it's easily doable for in/ out journeys for hobby boating but as a means of off grid propulsion moving around the country we still have only one viable method ?

Much better day today, 2 1/2 miles no sun. 

But what a different experience, a connection with the water and nature, worth the hassle so far. 

Sadly going to have to run the generator tomorrow morning to recharge the batteries unless the sun makes an unforecast appearance 

Think it might be worth investing in some known batteries and doing the sums properly, problem I have is knowing what amps the motor is taking out at cruising speed as I have now connected it directly to the batteries as the controller was getting hot

Edited by rasputin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNI-T-UT210E-True-RMS-AC-DC-Current-LCD-Diaplay-Digital-Clamp-Meter-B2V8-/153000753458

30 minutes ago, rasputin said:

problem I have is knowing what amps the motor is taking out at cruising speed as I have now connected it directly to the batteries as the controller was getting hot

45 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:
5 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Thank you may invest in one but not going to help me this week, next time I will be on this boat will be April, and probably under internal combustion power, probably won't be able to try this again till June 

Edited by rasputin

9 hours ago, rasputin said:

But what a different experience, a connection with the water and nature, worth the hassle so far. 

I cruise regularly on the Thames.   It is wonderful to move at walking pace, leaving no wake and making no sound.  I let the white plastic bathtubs roar past on their race to the next lock and I smugly think to myself - 'd'ya know what - I don't give a damn'.

• Greenie 1