Samuel Barlows Iona

Liam

Featured Posts

She's not survived according to the list of surviving Samuel Barlow Coal Co. Ltd. boats in NarrowBoat Magazine Autumn 2006.

Other than that not much help I'm afraid. Pete Harrison will probably know.

Was paired with Ian and crewed by the Whitlocks and Laura Carter in her latter years as part of the Barlow Fleet.

Iona.jpg

Edited by Ray T

18 hours ago, Ray T said:

She's not survived according to the list of surviving Samuel Barlow Coal Co. Ltd. boats in NarrowBoat Magazine Autumn 2006.

Other than that not much help I'm afraid. Pete Harrison will probably know.

Pete Harrison does not know, and not seen by me since the mid 1980's :captain:

15 hours ago, Athy said:

There's a horse-drawn Iona which is a trip-bot on the Wey. Would that be the same one?

No. The horse drawn trip boat IONA on the River Wey began life as BELLEROPHON in 1935, a steel composite small Woolwich butty from the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd.. BELLEROPHON replaced the wooden hulled IONA in 1968 including taking its name - at which time it operated from Norbury :captain:

33 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Back in the 80s there was a converted wooden butty moored on the offside in the cutting above Hatton locks which I was told was the original Iona. 

Correct, that is where I last saw it - but my memory has it with a crude counter stern (I have no photographs and it was a long time ago) :captain:

23 hours ago, Liam said:

Perusing the workingboats.com website it says that Iona was based in Marple as a trip boat in 1966.

Just wondering if anyone knows the fate of the boat?

TIA :)

It could have been at Marple in 66 but think it"s home base was Norbury for the 68 season it failed its BOT test the fore end was held on by not much more than expanding foam.Norbury bought "Bellearophon" from BW & I went from Norbury to Hillmorton to tow it back  for them it was fitted out & renamed "Iona" The girl who took over the steering of "Iona 2 wanted some where to live with her boyfriend I don't know the details of the deal but on a trip for Coronation Street filming I towed Iona 2 to Preston Brook & at the same time towed Iona 1 to Shebdon winding hole it was there for a time but  during Hotel Boating passing Shebdon it had gone could have been 69 or 70 but could be wrong no idea were it went just some time later it had sunk /re floated but on lifting out for repairs/renovation several essential bits broke off  IIRC Bnny Bunford (ex Gifford was some how involved) but no idea how although he & his wife were friends with the lass that worked the trip boat & as far as I know it was abandoned & broken up From other posts it seems it lived somewhat longer as Pete says long time past

20 hours ago, Athy said:

There's a horse-drawn Iona which is a trip-bot on the Wey. Would that be the same one?

Nope that's the renamed Little Woolwich Iona 2

Edited by X Alan W

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

Correct, that is where I last saw it - but my memory has it with a crude counter stern (I have no photographs and it was a long time ago) :captain:

Likewise!

I could be wrong, but I have a vague memory it may at one time have been owned by Major and Shirley Ginger - Shirley later wrote the book Lock, Stock and Barrel about their time owning and running the 'Buckby can' shop.

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

It could have been at Marple in 66 but think it"s home base was Norbury for the 68 season it failed its BOT test the fore end was held on by not much more than expanding foam.Norbury bought "Bellearophon" from BW & I went from Norbury to Hillmorton to tow it back  for them it was fitted out & renamed "Iona" The girl who took over the steering of "Iona 2 wanted some where to live with her boyfriend I don't know the details of the deal but on a trip for Coronation Street filming I towed Iona 2 to Preston Brook & at the same time towed Iona 1 to Shebdon winding hole it was there for a time but  during Hotel Boating passing Shebdon it had gone could have been 69 or 70 but could be wrong no idea were it went just some time later it had sunk /re floated but on lifting out for repairs/renovation several essential bits broke off  IIRC Bnny Bunford (ex Gifford was some how involved) but no idea how although he & his wife were friends with the lass that worked the trip boat & as far as I know it was abandoned & broken up From other posts it seems it lived somewhat longer as Pete says long time past

Nope that's the renamed Little Woolwich Iona 2

It only came to Marple for the rally there. ISTR having a ride on it behind the "Hyperion", - which may have brought it there - and it went away soon afterwards.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

I could be wrong, but I have a vague memory it may at one time have been owned by Major and Shirley Ginger - Shirley later wrote the book Lock, Stock and Barrel about their time owning and running the 'Buckby can' shop.

Coincidentally, I've just read Lock, Stock and Barrel (found in a canalside bookswap) and she does mention briefly owning an Iona but I've no idea if it's the one in question.LockStockBarrel.jpg.2628c07504e7038f5c0ffcf50770d702.jpg

Edited by Wiltshire Moonraker
To add image

10 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Really good, thanks for posting.

47 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My little claim to fame, my brother knows the young lady who runs the horse boat at Godalming. He 'does' her hair.

Bet your brother had his leg pulled with that handle.?