Canoes in Chirk Tunnel

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Detling said:

Remember CRT want a series of static ponds separated by sealed locks so we can't damage them. Only canoes inflatables and paddleboards will be able to move in the shallow water and all canalboats are to be residential paying to be there. Nice and cheap to maintain and a decent revenue to pay stakeholders and bonuses.

Housing crisis sorted! 

6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The canoeist will need a powerful light, as bright as the typical boat tunnel light (excluding the silly bulldozer vaporising LED things some boats have now). A boater approaching a tunnel is going to have daylight adapted eyes, particularly on a sunny summer day and just isn't going to see a glow worm torch inside. Lots of decently powerful LED torches around now. Canoe mounted, rather than head mounted. A head mounted torch is moving around a lot and is harder for a boat skipper to interpret. Have had a couple of run ins with canoes on narrow bends and bridge holes where some quick avoiding action was needed to reduce the risk of squishing them. I don't think they realise just how much canoe squashing power there is in a 20 ton narrowboat even if it is only going a couple of miles an hour.

Jen

Agree 100%

Chirk tunnel is surely unsuitable for canoes & kayaks due to its flow. 

Last time we went upstream, progress was terribly slow. I can’t imagine what would happen if when cruising downstream we met canoeists coming the other way. I don’t know if it would be possible to reverse out against the flow.  

On 19/08/2018 at 19:25, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in the last 5 minutes.

Trying to find a wreck to fish was pot-luck.

DECCA - accurate to about 1 mile if it wasn't raining or the sun shining - we had a saying "if you cannot see the top of Holyhead mountain it is raining, if you can see the top of Holyhead mountain it will be raining within a couple of hours"

As far as I remember, the Decca mast near Wormleighton is still there...

7 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

As far as I remember, the Decca mast near Wormleighton is still there...

A bit far away from Chirk but, hey ho.
In my early days of sailing offshore used to use Decca.

Wormleighton Mast

Most probably used for mobile communications now.
Edited by Ray T