How long does it take to raise a sunken boat?

David Mack

Featured Posts

More than a month if this stoppage notice, received yesterday, is to be  believed!

(Or do they mean 19th August?)

Ure Navigation
Starts At: Westwick Lock (Lock 2)
Ends At: Westwick Lock (Lock 2)

Friday 17 August 2018 18:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Boat damage

Original message:

The lock is currently closed due to a boat being partially sunk in the chamber.  River Canal Rescue are assessing the situation and hoping to carry out a recovery on Sunday 19th September. 

An update will be issued as soon as more information is available.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13747/westwick-lock-ure-navigation

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

It is supposed to be being raised today.

Our boat is behind the stoppage as we have been stuck in Ripon for a while waiting for confirmation about Selby Lock being back in action (Wednesday they hope). We didn't want to venture down onto the river section until we knew Selby was open again because there was a strong possibility we would have to leave the boat for a short period. We managed to secure a mooring at Ripon Motor Boat Club (Lovely friendly place!) on Friday so moved our boat down two locks to get there yesterday. Westwick is just 2 more locks along and in moving the boat we were warned by so many people that there was a lock closed ahead of us!

I am told that the front of the boat got hung up on the gate so it is the rear that took on water. I don't know how it happened but a terrible shame for the folks involved as I understand they have spent a couple of years working on the boat which they got as a shell and it has only been finished a couple of months. I am told everyone including the dog(s)? got out fine though which is the main thing.

While I have no idea if this was the cause of this particular sinking I do hope everyone ensures they have a weak link in their fender as a lost fender is always a better outcome than a sunk boat