LOCKGATE SORENSEN DIESEL STOVE

Gra73

Featured Posts

I have a 'boatman' diesel stove, the way I have been lighting it is by turning the control knob to say just over 1, waiting 10 seconds, dropping a firefighter into the centre followed by a lighted match, although I think I have read you should do the opposite and drop the firefighter/lighted match and then turn on the control knob. I ask because I have had occasions when it hasn't taken, and had an occasion where it just went out. The stove is from LOCKAGE and is the 25 Sorensen model.

I just wondered if anyone has this specific model and if so has any tips.

On my Dickinson to start it you turn the diesel On until about 2 tablespoons of diesel in the bottom of the pot, turn off diesel, light some tissue and place in diesel with a poking tool.   After about 5 minutes turn on diesel to low.  After about 30mins you can turn up gently.

i usually just turn on diesel to low, shove rolled up tissue in oil then light with a long lighter thingy tho, after about 5 minutes I can usually turn up from low.

Edited by Robbo

I have a Kabola Old Dutch diesel drip stove.

The manufacturer recommends allowing a 50p piece pool of diesel into the bottom of the stove, followed by a couple of capfuls of methylated spirits. Turn off the fuel regulator,  Light the meths, wait until it has almost burned out, then open the regulator to setting 2, and hold the flame failure device in for a minute or so.

Never fails to work.

The key to lighting is that diesel is hard to start alone unless hot, so the above methods get the stove hot before you start the diesel.  The tissue acts as a kinda wick and the meths is just easy to light.   I’m surprised a lit match in a table spoon or two of diesel works at all to be honest.

Some years ago I was given Fire Warden training by the North Yorkshire Fire Service. 

Part of this training involved learning how to deal with a diesel fire which of course meant we had to start a diesel fire.

We'd already learnt how easy it was to start a petrol fire and how to extinguish it.

An amount of diesel went into a large tray and we were invited to drop lit matches in. Of course, the matches just went out.

A small amount of petrol was then poured on top of the diesel; we weren't invited to approach within 6 metres any more.

A lighted spill was attached to a long pole and the petrol rapidly caught fire. Then the diesel caught too. 6 metres seemed a little too close to me.