Can I cruise after applying for licence?

Tomek

Featured Posts

Hi All!

I recently purchased a boat and need to take it from the broker to my mooring. I waited quiet a bit for change of ownership confirmation and couldn't apply for a licence. Only applied yesterday and got an email from EA saying they have changed details on system and will be in touch with me to take the payment for the licence. Am I now allowed to get the boat out from the broker's marina where she's moored to get her to her new mooring? The boat wasn't licenced this season at all. 

35 minutes ago, Tomek said:

Hi All!

I recently purchased a boat and need to take it from the broker to my mooring. I waited quiet a bit for change of ownership confirmation and couldn't apply for a licence. Only applied yesterday and got an email from EA saying they have changed details on system and will be in touch with me to take the payment for the licence. Am I now allowed to get the boat out from the broker's marina where she's moored to get her to her new mooring? The boat wasn't licenced this season at all. 

Wouldn't it be more sensible just to ask CRT, rather than a forum which may give you a bum steer? Or is that too radical?:)

Howard

If you haven't actually paid anything but have made efforts to or can show intent you might be lucky/ok, but if I was in your shoes I wouldn't move it unless I had something in black and white from CRT saying that it's ok.

2 hours ago, howardang said:

Wouldn't it be more sensible just to ask CRT, rather than a forum which may give you a bum steer? Or is that too radical?:)

Howard

I did ask in the email but it's weekend now and not sure if I get an answer by Monday. 

Isn't the EA licence an annual period only (Jan to Dec for the Thames & April to March for Anglian waterways) - irrespective of when you buy it, it is backdated to Jan1 or April 1 depending on the waterway.

If so - you may be having an expensive 4 month licence.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't the EA licence an annual period only (Jan to Dec for the Thames & April to March for Anglian waterways) - irrespective of when you buy it, it is backdated to Jan1 or April 1 depending on the waterway.

If so - you may be having an expensive 4 month licence.

I'm on Great Ouse so have to pay full price but I have it until end of March so not 4 but all 7 months in price of 12 haha 

18 hours ago, howardang said:

Howard

I have recently tried to work out a licence cost, involving both EA and CRT where short term discounts were involved, still feeling dazed.

Edited by LadyG

I would wait till 1st September and then you can have 6 month license as a new owner of the boat even if they caught you without a licence you would have 28 days to pay speak to your insurance company explain the situation that you are taking the boat to your home mooring without a licence till 1st September they are normally good.

I'm interested in this as to how CRT would actually know/discover - what are their methods?  Do CRT have inspectors that patrol and what is the likelihood of meeting one?  Just trying to compare with car ownership where camera's/patrols will pick out an uninsured/taxed car quite quickly...  I've not seen cameras by locks!  :)

11 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I'm interested in this as to how CRT would actually know/discover - what are their methods?  Do CRT have inspectors that patrol and what is the likelihood of meeting one?  Just trying to compare with car ownership where camera's/patrols will pick out an uninsured/taxed car quite quickly...  I've not seen cameras by locks!  :)

There are foot patrols carrying handheld devices holding the licence database, checking for unlicensed and overstaying boats. CRT claim that every length is visited at least once per fortnight. In addition, there’s a licence checker page on the CRT website where you can dob in any boat you see without a licence displayed.

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

That's because they are hidden under the bridges ?

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

CRT wouldn't care one way or the other as the OP says he is on EA waters... ;)

But to answer your question, yes CRT have staff walking the towpaths licence checking.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT have been around out marina today checking every boat is licensed.

We have the list of 'visiting dates' (monthly) ................... some boats just go out for the day once a month.

Maybe the C&RT inspector should be a bit more flexible?

If you are going on the system at the Nene get a temp licence at Northampton Marina to cover you and then apply for the reduced licence fee after the 1st Sept. If you are getting on the Ouse at Denver you will have to do this anyway as the lockie will insist.

IF you get caught before the 1st you will get stung for the whole year..

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes it sounds like he would clean up if he turned up a day early!

He/she could not clean up. It would be down to the marina management to clean up, after the agent of CRT had pointed out the oversight. CRT could not prosecute, under the regulations that govern CRT. The unlicensed boat would have to be outside the marina, for CRT to be able to take direct action. :)

Edited by Higgs

3 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

If you are going on the system at the Nene get a temp licence at Northampton Marina to cover you and then apply for the reduced licence fee after the 1st Sept. If you are getting on the Ouse at Denver you will have to do this anyway as the lockie will insist.

IF you get caught before the 1st you will get stung for the whole year..

I was in touch with EA and they said that if I get say licence then I will not be able to apply for proper licence this year as they cannot issue two licences on one boat in one year. I made it ok from St Ives to Cambridge. Phoned Hermitage lock day before to say I'm coming without licence plate but applied for it already. It was ok. He noted my index number however. That was last Thursday. Still didn't receive proper licence yet so hoping I won't get in trouble :)

10 hours ago, Higgs said:

He/she could not clean up. It would be down to the marina management to clean up, after the agent of CRT had pointed out the oversight. CRT could not prosecute, under the regulations that govern CRT. The unlicensed boat would have to be outside the marina, for CRT to be able to take direct action. :)

So they say they are turning up on Thursday and then put enforcement officers outside the marina for three days and get the boats when they come out or when they are going back in....