Pressure washing

Grit blasting

two pack primer

epoxy blacking

Time on slipway including curing time

lifting the boat back into the water

Grit blasting won't be the largest sum in all that

HRichard

Interesting its the vendor and not a surveyor, would the OP be considering buying the boat without a survey? If so now may be the time to turn round, walk away, and save the survey fee for a hull that in light of the vendors comments may well be suspect.

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Ours, for instance

How much do blackings cost.?

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Mine to, although next year I may grit blast and epoxy!  Doesn't it seem odd a seller should tell a buyer it needs to be done though?

Basically he was telling me it needs a repaint and recommended epoxying it. It is blacked now

45 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Basically he was telling me it needs a repaint and recommended epoxying it. It is blacked now

Blacking pricing is usually done by the foot, varies from north to south and can vary greatly  between boatyards in small distances!! Anywhere between £7 and £12 a foot is normal, for lift, pressure wash and 2 or 3 coats.

Make sure you find out whether the price quoted is Inc vat or ex vat, there is no consistency.  Also make sure that there are no extras, a local boatyard quotes the same as another, but then stings you for a £250 dry dock chrge on top!!!

Perhaps the seller was recommending an epoxy 2 pack spray job for the upper cabin?? Hudsons,  Aqua lines and Vikings are all coated in this way from new.

Edited by matty40s

21 minutes ago, Leggy said:

But why grit blasting and epoxy? Its the Rolls Royce form of hull protection and is only bettered by adding in zinc spraying. The vast majority of boats on the waterways use a tar or bitumen based blacking and they last man, many years. Some Springers that start life with thin plates must be getting on for 50 years old now and are still in usable condition so unless its a new boat or you have money to burn why recommend anything other than normal blacking. Tar based if you can get it or if not a modified bitumen. I just can't see what the vendor was thinking so am suspicious of is motives..

• Greenie 1

I paid £350 for grit blasting a 57' x 12' boat up to the top gunwale. That included the swims and uxter plates and the upswept part of baseplate at the bow, but not the rest of the baseplate. It was done by a mobile contractor I found myself. 

The diy dry dock etc was on top of that but I didn't bother to pressure wash first. I just went over the boat with a long handled scraper the day before the blaster arrived. The yard didn't have water or any other facilities so that was my only option, but scraping is quite sufficient prior to blasting. It took me a whole day to clean the boat afterwards!

I spent £400 on the dry dock and about £450 on 8 x 4.7 litre cans of jotamastic 87 (4 coats) so in total it cost me £1200.

Edited by blackrose

I would centainly recommend gritblasting if the hull surface is in poor condition. Pressure washing or wire brushing never gets it really clean and you can see what you have after the process. Not so sure of the benefit of zinc spraying but I did have this done to my whole hull by Debdale some 3 years ago followed by 2 pack epoxy. It is expensive but If you factor in that it lasts  say 4 to 5 times longer than just blacking it is probably cost effective if you are keeping the boat for a while.

10 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I would centainly recommend gritblasting if the hull surface is in poor condition.

That is a good point - Grit blasting has been known to penetrate thru' 'poor condition' hulls, but the advantage is that at least you find out your hull is just a "Sunday Boat" (Holy !!!) whilst it is on land.

The alternative is :

Except in the case of the boatyard that grit-blasted, didn't notice the holes, painted and dropped the boat back into the water where it promptly sank.

Is it worth grit-blasting an 'poor condition' hull ?

Your decision.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I paid £350 for grit blasting a 57' x 12' boat up to the top gunwale. That included the swims and uxter plates and the upswept part of baseplate at the bow, but not the rest of the baseplate. It was done by a mobile contractor I found myself. 

I meant the top rubbing strake of course. Too late to edit my post. He didn't gritblast the top plank or whatever its equivalent is called on a steel boat.