Narrowboat handymen

SarahTnarrowboat

Featured Posts

Hi there,

We’re quite new to boating and have bought a lovely Narrowboat that we are currently living on in Milton Keynes. We have a few odd jobs, that need doing that we aren’t confident enough to do ourselves (yet!) but from what reading we’ve done, don’t necessarily need a particular trade. So we were wondering if there were any Narrowboat handy men in or around Milton Keynes, any suggestions etc would be most welcome.

19 minutes ago, SarahTnarrowboat said:

Hello and thanks.

woodwork, bit of help with the windows, help installing our composting toilet. 

Are you 100% sure that the resultant substances  can legally dispose of the produce? A recent thread migrated to composting toilets and from what was said there it seem that is a problem area with the potential for some hefty fines.

11 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Beware. There are any number of people on the cut offering services they are not qualified to provide on the basis of having done a little DIY.

Thank you, will keep that in mind.

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you 100% sure that the resultant substances  can legally dispose of the produce? A recent thread migrated to composting toilets and from what was said there it seem that is a problem area with the potential for some hefty fines.

We have got an airhead, so emptying the contents similarly to the way we would if we had a cassette. 

1 minute ago, SarahTnarrowboat said:

Thanks for that, will keep in mind. We will obviously be using the proper method for disposal.

Unless you have your own land then after that thread I find it hard to see what any "proper" method of disposal will be unless you employ a certified waste contractor who is allowed to deal with that sort of waste and that is bound to COST.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, SarahTnarrowboat said:

We have got an airhead, so emptying the contents similarly to the way we would if we had a cassette

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I don't know too much about composting toilets so perhaps you could explain.  If you empty the contents of a composting toilet in the same way as you would with a cassette, a. Where's the advantage over a cassette at a fraction of the cost?  and b. What's the benefit of composting if it goes down the sewer?

Oh, and welcome!  I'm pleased you found a lovely Narrowboat. 

Edited by Sea Dog
Welcome

Of course, as I said we’re very new to this so all advice is very welcome...and needed. That said, this post is about us having a little help with some of the bits and bobs on the boat, I don’t want it to turn into a toilet thread, even I’ve read 100s of these.

thank you though and happy to be pointed to any relavant info etc if you’re able to message.

• Greenie 2

I think that now (House) Building Regs have made any gas or electric powered Composting toilets illegal there will be a much greater 'push' onto easily influenced boaters who see themselves at the forefront of green technology (little do they know)

Part G 4.19 states (as of Jan 2018) “Chemical toilets or composting toilets may be used where: a. suitable arrangements can be made for the disposal of the waste either on or off the site; and b. the waste can be removed from the premises without carrying it through any living space or food preparation areas (including a kitchen); and c. no part of the installation would be installed in any places where it might be rendered ineffective by the entry of flood water.”

Part G 4.21 goes on to say: “Composting toilets should not be connected to an energy source other than for purposes of ventilation or sustaining the composting process.” In other words, dehydrating and incinerating toilets which use energy (gas or electricity) to dry the contents (beyond the natural composting process) will probably not pass building regulations. We believe this is a good move, as the energy required to dry, evaporate or incinerate toilet contents is hugely wasteful and over-complicate what should be a simple process.

Remember that the EA are there to ensure that processes you engage in are safe for people to use, and don't damage or pollute the environment directly or indirectly. You might find the regulations frustrating, but they are there to ensure a safe environment for future generations!

Be sensible and do a written assessment of how you plan to deal with the outputs from your compost toilet – detail the positions of things, possible contamination effects and limits etc, does the land flood, where will the compost bins be located? Have this documentation available in case officials want to ask you for more information. This will show you've been thorough and have throught through the entire process.

• Greenie 1

Hey, give me a pm and I can help you with legislation on disposal. Don’t worry about these lot giving half answers with hints of obnoxiousness and passive aggressiveness. This forum is full of them. Most of them don’t want to help, they just want to be right and angry for some reason. Classic internet commenters! 

• Greenie 4

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I don't know too much about composting toilets so perhaps you could explain.  If you empty the contents of a composting toilet in the same way as you would with a cassette, a. Where's the advantage over a cassette at a fraction of the cost?  and b. What's the benefit of composting if it goes down the sewer?

Oh, and welcome!  I'm pleased you found a lovely Narrowboat. 

For us it was about the set up of the composting toilet and the need to not empty it so regularly without having a holding tank fitted, and not having the issues related to smell. If it comes to it we do actually own somewhere that has a little land and we do really like the actual toilet so ?‍♀️

thank you, so are we. Very pleased to be on the water.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, SarahTnarrowboat said:

For us it was about the set up of the composting toilet and the need to not empty it so regularly without having a holding tank fitted, and not having the issues related to smell. If it comes to it we do actually own somewhere that has a little land and we do really like the actual toilet so ?‍♀️

thank you, so are we. Very pleased to be on the water.

I see - like a small, dry holding tank sort of thing? Anyway, you were right earlier, let's leave that for another thread and let this one find you a handyman to get those jobs sorted and get on with the boating!  Good luck.  :)

13 minutes ago, Joh87 said:

Hey, give me a pm and I can help you with legislation on disposal. Don’t worry about these lot giving half answers with hints of obnoxiousness and passive aggressiveness. This forum is full of them. Most of them don’t want to help, they just want to be right and angry for some reason. Classic internet commenters! 

If you are properly qualified to give advice on the legal implications of composting toilets then why not educate everyone on here instead of offering private advice that the recipient may not be sufficiently informed to judge the validity of your advice.

I would suggests that the answer may possibly be because you do not want your advice questioned and discussed. I smell vested interest.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you are properly qualified to give advice on the legal implications of composting toilets then why not educate everyone on here instead of offering private advice that the recipient may not be sufficiently informed to judge the validity of your advice.

I would suggests that the answer may possibly be because you do not want your advice questioned and discussed. I smell vested interest.

I understand the idea is to be helpful and take on board (no pun intended) people’s opinions and advice but I would really prefer advice and opinion on my original question. I spent a lot of time researching toilets and I really don’t consider myself at the forefront of any eco movement, it was just the toilet we decided on. Like I said feel free to message me any info you feel I don’t have. Thank you to those who did answer ?

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1