Leyland floor paint

Onewheeler

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Has anyone used this on a boat roof? Leyland floor paint Looking to cover our old Wickes garage floor paint which after 12 years is looking a bit tatty.

Martin/

I haven't used the Leyland paint but I was very pleased with the Screw fix own brand floor paint. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-floor-paint-grey-2-5ltr/74591

I used the red oxide on my roof but unfortunately, for me, they only seem to have grey atm. 

Good paint at a good price, check the reviews

22 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Has anyone used this on a boat roof? Leyland floor paint Looking to cover our old Wickes garage floor paint which after 12 years is looking a bit tatty.

Martin/

I asked a manufacturer's tech line a few years ago  about using their floor paint for my roof and they told me that most floor paints, including their own are for internal use and don't have any UV stabilisers so would have a life of about 5 years before it started flaking.  If that bothers you a quick call to the tech line may help.

4 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

had a very prompt reply from Leyland to my last question

What did they say then?

Oh, crossed with Tony B asking the same thing. 

Edited by WotEver

I used floor paint (Supadec) on my roof, put it on 3 years ago. It went on easily and dried quickly, it hasn't flaked since. Unfortunately though, every time it rains a chalky deposit runs down the windows and cabin sides. I've now repainted it with gloss and sand non slip rectangles. It's great for the cruiser deck though, not slippery and has proved to be hard wearing.

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Not that it’s directly relevant but I’ve recently used Leyland paint on a rental house that had a smoker as a tenant and was very impressed by the coverage and finish....that was all water based tho...

I use Leyland exclusively on woodwork around the house. 

I note a couple of comments made by Leyland about their garage floor paint...

it is not designed for exterior use. We could not guarantee the life span.

nfortunately non of our floor paints are suitable to be used externally. They do not allow moisture to pass through and would potentially become very slippery if saturated by rainfall.

So I guess that’s a ‘No’

48 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I note a couple of comments made by Leyland about their garage floor paint...

it is not designed for exterior use. We could not guarantee the life span.

nfortunately non of our floor paints are suitable to be used externally. They do not allow moisture to pass through and would potentially become very slippery if saturated by rainfall.

So I guess that’s a ‘No’

My screwfix floor paint has worked well where it has been mixed with grit to give a grippy surface however the surrounding edges have flaked, much in line with previous comments. 

The grippy part, the part that worked, was done over the top of old international interdeck covered with a primer coat. The part that didn't work was over sanded down international toplac.

On 17/08/2018 at 17:50, Sea Dog said:

So, erm, I hate to ask a dumb question, but what exactly is so bad about all the various types of Narrowboat roof paint?

I don't want to ask another dumb question, so I'll just bump the first one in the hope I might understand the driving force behind this pretty common idea of using seemingly unsuitable paint for a demanding job for which purpose made paint is readily available. 

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't want to ask another dumb question, so I'll just bump the first one in the hope I might understand the driving force behind this pretty common idea of using seemingly unsuitable paint for a demanding job for which purpose made paint is readily available. 

I suspect the answer is probably related to cost and experience. I am now convinced that from really well known brands of so called marine paint to the second line suppliers there is a "marine" surcharge on the cost. I spent a lot of money on Craftmaster Raddle Grey for my boat roof and just like Garath E within year or so I was getting pigment running down my windows when it rained. I tried some second line marine gloss and not only did it smell the same as the Masons the boatyard used but it would not run the brush marks out". This has raised a lot of questions in my mind, especially when we ave had several reports of good results from Dulux Weatercoat (oil based). The then proprietor just said something like the paint had perished.

If you need to walk on your roof then floor paint seems a good proposition and should be hard wearing but not f it s not UV inhibited. I think its true to say a number of us ad good results from oil bases International floor paint and it as supposed to be OK outside ---- then the water based  nonsense started and I have not seen it for years.

I had my roof done in Protectacote and only over paint it when the rubber granules are exposed. The last time I used an oil based exterior low sheen paint from a Crown trade outlet that came in a Sandtex  can. This has lasted very well and where it has flaked I think I can lay at the door of insufficient prep on my behalf because the texture of Protectacote makes tit difficult to get a decent all over key.

On 17/08/2018 at 17:50, Sea Dog said:

So, erm, I hate to ask a dumb question, but what exactly is so bad about all the various types of Narrowboat roof paint?

What Tony said above. Plus, floor paint is supposed to be hard-wearing, and the previous Wickes one has performed very well (and had a very good reputation for boat roofs at the time it was applied). They don't sell it any more, otherwise I'd put another two coats on.

Also thinking of using Crown trade, which can be had for about the same price as the Leyland paint.

Like others earlier I mistrust expensive paints with a 'boat' badge. 3 years ago I repainted the rear cruiser deck rails in a boat paint, think it was Rylards. I chose it because it was the closest I could find to the colour the majority of the boat is painted in, now that Crown solo royal gala green is no longer available. 3 years on the Rylards has discoloured badly. A nearby area, painted with the Crown solo, maintains it's colour from 5 years ago. There's no chipping, it's still perfect, apart from where I didn't prep properly. How delighted I was when I found a stockist of the Crown, took the opportunity this summer to repaint the whole boat with the confidence that this will last more than a couple of years.

Regarding the roof I chose Paintmaster oil based grey, over sanded rectangles. The paint cost 12 quid for 2 1/2 litres. It went on nicely and although it's early days, is looking great so far.

So as has been said, a combination of experience and the desire not to be duped into paying 3 or 4 times as much for something, just because it has a badge.   

2 hours ago, Gareth E said:

Like others earlier I mistrust expensive paints with a 'boat' badge. 3 years ago I repainted the rear cruiser deck rails in a boat paint, think it was Rylards. I chose it because it was the closest I could find to the colour the majority of the boat is painted in, now that Crown solo royal gala green is no longer available. 3 years on the Rylards has discoloured badly. A nearby area, painted with the Crown solo, maintains it's colour from 5 years ago. There's no chipping, it's still perfect, apart from where I didn't prep properly. How delighted I was when I found a stockist of the Crown, took the opportunity this summer to repaint the whole boat with the confidence that this will last more than a couple of years.

Regarding the roof I chose Paintmaster oil based grey, over sanded rectangles. The paint cost 12 quid for 2 1/2 litres. It went on nicely and although it's early days, is looking great so far.

So as has been said, a combination of experience and the desire not to be duped into paying 3 or 4 times as much for something, just because it has a badge.   

Rylards is used on the cabin sides of our mainland boat share, it seems to last fairly well (in anchusa blue). Some fading, but it sees more sun than in the UK.

I'd not heard of Paintmaster. Did you use the one sold as "boat & barge enamel" or the basic gloss? Did you undercoat?

11 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Rylards is used on the cabin sides of our mainland boat share, it seems to last fairly well (in anchusa blue). Some fading, but it sees more sun than in the UK.

I'd not heard of Paintmaster. Did you use the one sold as "boat & barge enamel" or the basic gloss? Did you undercoat?

I used the basic gloss over a carefully prepped roof then primer and undercoat before the top coat. It's advertised as suitable for outdoor use so that's good enough for me. I'm forming the opinion that preparation is almost everything, the choice is paint is less important. 

6 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

What Tony said above. Plus, floor paint is supposed to be hard-wearing, and the previous Wickes one has performed very well (and had a very good reputation for boat roofs at the time it was applied). They don't sell it any more, otherwise I'd put another two coats on.

Also thinking of using Crown trade, which can be had for about the same price as the Leyland paint.

That's helpful - as was Tony's conjecture, but yours is based on a previous good experience, so thanks for the insight. More of the same stuff you're happy with would be ideal, but if you have to change to something different, I'm presuming it's also going to be significantly cheaper than the proprietary stuff too, or there'd still be little point in using anything designed for something else, right? 

I'm not being obtuse here - I have a roof and it's gonna need painting so I'd also like to get the right stuff for the right reasons, albeit they may be different to yours.