New Cycling Trust

dmr

Featured Posts

An interesting article here, I got the link from NABO

https://road.cc/content/news/72569-londons-cycle-commuter-boom-causes-problems-regents-canal-towpath

Some towpaths are now used by 500 high speed commuting cyclists every hour, thats a bike every 7 seconds.

Looks like CaRT have finally realised that this is not good, and even understand that towpaths do not make good cycleways:

"Narrow, busy urban canal towpaths do not lend themselves easily to catering for pedestrians and cyclists."

BUT they also say:

"In tackling this issue we hope pedestrian priority will be upheld". Well I would like to see some positive action rather than just hoping!!!!! This certainly suggests that cycle priority or removing pedestrians is an option under consideration.

And the CaRT solution is...to create new cycle routes not on the Towpath.....So, CaRT, who are charged with looking after our waterways are now creating new cycle routes that are not part of the canal system....but at the same time are still turning other parts of the canal system into cycleways which will sooner or later have the same problem.

....................Dave

",

• Greenie 1

Well spotted, I got the link via facebook so I really should have checked, as facebook does this often.

So I wonder if any off canal cycle routes were ever actually created?, and also if the 500 bikes/hour figure has reached 1000 yet.

..............Dave

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

Well spotted, I got the link via facebook so I really should have checked, as facebook does this often.

So I wonder if any off canal cycle routes were ever actually created?, and also if the 500 bikes/hour figure has reached 1000 yet.

..............Dave

Clearly that's where the CRT "mega-visits" number come from

1 hour ago, dmr said:

And the CaRT solution is...to create new cycle routes not on the Towpath

1 hour ago, dmr said:

So I wonder if any off canal cycle routes were ever actually created?

Well CRT have created at least one partly off-towpath and on canal cycle route - through Edgbaston Tunnel!

2 hours ago, KevMc said:

Clearly that's where the CRT "mega-visits" number come from

Well those numbers for say 2 morning rush hours and 2 evening rush hours 5 days a week 52 weeks a year means 500,000 (approx) cyclists per annum add in pedestrians and I at least can see how CRT reaches the large numbers it quotes.  After all that is only none relatively short stretch of canal.

3 hours ago, dmr said:

https://road.cc/content/news/72569-londons-cycle-commuter-boom-causes-problems-regents-canal-towpath

Some towpaths are now used by 500 high speed commuting cyclists every hour, thats a bike every 7 seconds.

Looks like CaRT have finally realised that this is not good, and even understand that towpaths do not make good cycleways:

"Narrow, busy urban canal towpaths do not lend themselves easily to catering for pedestrians and cyclists."

BUT they also say:

"In tackling this issue we hope pedestrian priority will be upheld". Well I would like to see some positive action rather than just hoping!!!!! This certainly suggests that cycle priority or removing pedestrians is an option under consideration.

And the CaRT solution is...to create new cycle routes not on the Towpath.....So, CaRT, who are charged with looking after our waterways are now creating new cycle routes that are not part of the canal system....but at the same time are still turning other parts of the canal system into cycleways which will sooner or later have the same problem.

....................Dave

",

Never mind. There's a captive audience of boaters being isolated and groomed for an increase in license fees to pay for all this - but first it will start by CRT banning use of the towpath for mooring pins,  ropes, chairs, picnic table, BBQ's etc -  in order to give bikers unobstructed access.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Never mind. There's a captive audience of boaters being isolated and groomed for an increase in license fees to pay for all this - but first it will start by CRT banning use of the towpath for mooring pins,  ropes, chairs, picnic table, BBQ's etc -  in order to give bikers unobstructed access.

not seeing any rings being put in where these cycleways are springing up

13 minutes ago, b0atman said:

not seeing any rings being put in where these cycleways are springing up

You will. For chaining bikes to. Eventually you will have to ask a cyclist for loan of his cyclemate key to access a water point.

Edited by Sir Nibble
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, dmr said:

BUT they also say:

....................Dave

",

I think they are charged with creating wellness  too?

Maybe Sustrans will pay for the new paths?

Can't they widen the towpaths and separate users, use sleeping policemen to slow cyclists, 

If all else fails,  push them towards the edge of the canal ... 

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

yes, land is good, they are not making any more of it., maybe lease it.

That assumes the landowners are prepared to sell/very long term lease a couple of metres of their land.  I doubt many would and in a numbers of places it would be peoples gardens.

It also assumes CRT can afford to do this.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Can't they widen the towpaths and separate users, use sleeping policemen to slow cyclists, 

They already do in a variety of locations but it doesn't really help since if they pay for the towpath upgrade you then cannot complain about cyclists using it, can you? If they build the new paths alongside the current towpath, pedestrians will still, quite reasonably, walk along it with the same issues that we currently seem to have. Is a mother going to push her child's pushchair along a bumpy towpath? or along a newly created smooth tarmacked cycle lane?

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Jerra said:

Well those numbers for say 2 morning rush hours and 2 evening rush hours 5 days a week 52 weeks a year means 500,000 (approx) cyclists per annum add in pedestrians and I at least can see how CRT reaches the large numbers it quotes.  After all that is only none relatively short stretch of canal.

most of the illegal immigrants have at least 6 people to a bike - according to the latest research - outsourced to a Bangalore Data filing agency

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

most of the illegal immigrants have at least 6 people to a bike - according to the latest research - outsourced to a Bangalore Data filing agency

Would they be riding hexicles.....

Regarding Sustrans providing cycle ways,If they are anything like the block paved areas beside my home mooring the number of cyclists will soon decrease due to the loose and sunken blocks buckling wheels and pitching cyclists into the canal!??

5 hours ago, Ian F B said:

Regarding Sustrans providing cycle ways,If they are anything like the block paved areas beside my home mooring the number of cyclists will soon decrease due to the loose and sunken blocks buckling wheels and pitching cyclists into the canal!??

Every cloud and all,that ?

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

Be careful what you wish for, as one way of widening the towpath without buying/leasing expensive land would be to encroach into the canal, ie narrow the canal to widen the tow path.  Cyclists happy, fishermen/women happy, walkers happy, Sustrans happy and if now to narrow to moor without blocking the canal, then local houses happy as still pretty boats passing and no smelly/smokey boats moored in front of their house.  If no mooring, CRT happy as no mooring rings, power bollards to install.   

Edited by Chewbacka

On 16/08/2018 at 14:55, Horace42 said:

You already shouldn't be obstructing the towpath so no real change there..

9 minutes ago, jds_1981 said:

You already shouldn't be obstructing the towpath so no real change there..

.....except that it will change from advice of 'not to obstruct the towpath' - to one of 'not to use the towpath' - that will be conveniently interpreted by cyclists who 'know their rights'....

On 17/08/2018 at 17:06, Chewbacka said:

Be careful what you wish for, as one way of widening the towpath without buying/leasing expensive land would be to encroach into the canal, ie narrow the canal to widen the tow path. 

already done at Edgebaston