What's this button for?

Pirateringo

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Pirateringo said:

On my Liverpool boats control panel there is a white button covered in a plastic dome

Back to being serious, is this plastic dome rigid, i.e. to prevent the button beneath being pressed, or is it flexible so as to allow the button to be pressed but (say) stop it getting wet?

Have you tried pressing it? What happened? Were the photon torpedoes released, for example?

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Back to being serious, is this plastic dome rigid, i.e. to prevent the button beneath being pressed, or is it flexible so as to allow the button to be pressed but (say) stop it getting wet?

Have you tried pressing it? What happened? Were the photon torpedoes released, for example?

It's flexible and definitely no photons, ?

Just now, Pirateringo said:

Ahhh that looks exactly the same. Why would you need to reset bilge? I'm new to this if you haven't guessed ?

You don't. That suggestion is bilge!

More likely, it is a switch to manually operate the bilge pump. Most bilge pumps operate automatically when the water level around them reaches a certain level. Some are fitted with a manual over-ride switch to make it run whatever the water level in case the auto-on function fails.

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

We believe it's the bilge pump reset ?

It does look like the button on a circuit breaker. Does it have anything written on the end, under the plastic cap?

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It does look like the button on a circuit breaker. Does it have anything written on the end, under the plastic cap?

No there's nothing there... last year when our stern gland got damaged on the Hudd Narrow, miles from a boatyard, the gland leaked causing the auto bilge to come on every 5 mins. It was reassuring to press this button to switch on the bilge, just to test the auto bilge was still working. It was a worrying time!

Edited by Jennifer McM

Ok, I'll believe it's a button, but from the photo it looks exactly like the kind of indicator lamp holder common in home brew electronics projects of about 40 years ago.

EDIT:

But clearly it isn't a light, but something like what Richard has posted a picture of.

Edited by alan_fincher

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Ok, I'll believe it's a button, but from the photo it looks exactly like the kind of indicator lamp holder common in home brew electronics projects of about 40 years ago.

Could be ? the switch next to the button turns on the windscreen washers...