Joanna

Nige G

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What a weird engine installation! The power take off is st the opposite end to usual on a Kelvin, and the correct gearbox is missing. 

Perhaps this is an ex-generator Kelvin, that never had a marine gearbox.

Are Kelvin's like Lister JPs, with the flywheel at opposite ends on the marine and industrial versions? I have seen a few ex-generator JPs installed in boats the wrong way round, so the flywheel is at the front.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Jeez, as I've said a few times on here, anything that floats is £25k plus these days.

On the face of it, £25,000 for a Barry Hawkins 59-footer with a Kelvin engine looks like an attractive bargain. But when one looks at what the boat DOESN'T have: batteries, heating, insulation, galley, furniture....it would probably cost as much again to get it to a comfortable, usable condition.

I wonder if it's been fitted out and stripped down, or whether the owner bought it as a sailaway and just never got round to tackling the fit-out.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I wonder if it's been fitted out and stripped down, or whether the owner bought it as a sailaway and just never got round to tackling the fit-out.

By the look of the interior photos, badly fitted and either never completed or partly stripped out, then much neglected.  And not clear whether the engine is fully installed i.e. can this boat move under its own power? There are no batteries, so even starting may be a problem.

What the estate agents describe as "a blank canvas on which to stamp your personality".

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

By the look of the interior photos, badly fitted and either never completed or partly stripped out, then much neglected.  And not clear whether the engine is fully installed i.e. can this boat move under its own power? There are no batteries, so even starting may be a problem.

What the estate agents describe as "a blank canvas on which to stamp your personality".

It is genuinely hard to think why anybody ever thought the boat would be a good idea, or how it has apparently gone from a new shell to this dereliction in a claimed 12 years.

Certainly one of the odder things to wash up at Whilton.

I expect MTB will buy it though - it has a K2 in it, after all, and he really hasn't got enough K2s (or boats) at the moment!

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There are no batteries, so even starting may be a problem.

With no batteries, starting it WILL be problem.

Impossible in fact,given that to hand start one requires the (missing) Kelvin gearbox. 

6 hours ago, Athy said:

On the face of it, £25,000 for a Barry Hawkins 59-footer with a Kelvin engine looks like an attractive bargain. But when one looks at what the boat DOESN'T have: batteries, heating, insulation, galley, furniture....it would probably cost as much again to get it to a comfortable, usable condition.

It's a good example of why the name of the builder really doesn't matter that much on the secondhand market.  I honestly wouldn't take that boat on even if it was a free gift.

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What a weird engine installation! The power take off is st the opposite end to usual on a Kelvin, and the correct gearbox is missing. 

I thought it might have Barry did that with single cylinder Gardners as well with a hydraulic drive. The speck says it has a gearbox though

7 minutes ago, Robbo said:

To me a “Dutch Barge” of this style should have a wheelhouse, it doesn’t look like one was planned on this contraption!   Narrowboat Dutch Barge styles always look wrong and mispropotioned.

Unless they are short ones.  They then end up with the "correct" proportions, but I do agree that 60'x7' in the style of a Dutch Barge just looks ... odd to me.

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Unless they are short ones.  They then end up with the "correct" proportions, but I do agree that 60'x7' in the style of a Dutch Barge just looks ... odd to me.

That's right.  Though there is one, I think it's called Tickety Boo and it was featured in Canal Boat IIRC, that has decent lines.  

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

With no batteries, starting it WILL be problem.

Impossible in fact,given that to hand start one requires the (missing) Kelvin gearbox. 

I can see batteries in one of the photographs, says 24V system so presumably there's at least 2.

Types of wood used...Pine T&G......(some)

Not much left of the sink in the bathroom.....

The gunnels also look wider than a narrowboat, and have a lip on the edge.   This will make the interior feel more cramped than a narrowboat does.  The lip will make shifting up and down the gunnel a tad awkward.

Edited by Robbo