Name Change

Clodi

Featured Posts

I am thinking of using the Welsh translation of my boats name rather than the english name that is currently used on the reg' documents & the boat index.

As the name predominantly  displayed will be in welsh should I notify the CRT to avoid confusion? 

6 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I am thinking of using the Welsh translation of my boats name rather than the english name that is currently used on the reg' documents & the boat index.

As the name predominantly  displayed will be in welsh should I notify the CRT to avoid confusion? 

Yes.

I changed my boat name and I found I was able to edit the CRT records of my boat myself on line, using the same section as I use to renew my licence.

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I changed my boat name and I found I was able to edit the CRT records of my boat myself on line, using the same section as I use to renew my licence.

We did the same earlier this year. You can also print off a new paper licence with your boat's new name to display on the boat.

Thanks guys, the boats name is Lepus which, as I'm sure you know means Hare and the welsh translation is Ysgyfarnog. I'm thinking of having tg name signwrittian with the welsh in large letters and a smaller Lepus along with the reg number.

40 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Thanks guys, the boats name is Lepus which, as I'm sure you know means Hare and the welsh translation is Ysgyfarnog. I'm thinking of having tg name signwrittian with the welsh in large letters and a smaller Lepus along with the reg number.

Are you sure about that translation?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

_45162744_-2.jpg

The English is clear enough to lorry drivers - but the Welsh reads "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated."

• Haha 2

There are lots of really bad translations of the language. All of our kids grew up only going to welsh first school, that's where only welsh is used in school (no english) however once we moved from the smallholding into 'town'  (Carmarthen) I hardly hear any welsh now and my kids in Uni don't use it anymore. My middle son is at Cardiff and visiting yesterday and having a nice day out at Cardiff-bay I heard many different languages but no Welsh at all and only a token effort made with the shop signs.

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

There are lots of really bad translations of the language. All of our kids grew up only going to welsh first school, that's where only welsh is used in school (no english) however once we moved from the smallholding into 'town'  (Carmarthen) I hardly hear any welsh now and my kids in Uni don't use it anymore. My middle son is at Cardiff and visiting yesterday and having a nice day out at Cardiff-bay I heard many different languages but no Welsh at all and only a token effort made with the shop signs.

Real Cymraeg (not the namby pamby Southern stuff) is still taught and widely used in the North.

Both my lads went to a 'Welsh language first' schools at Junior level but at Secondary school it was English.

No1 Son played Rugby (No1 & No2) for Mold, then North Wales and then Llanelli (but he initially struggled with the language/vocabulary in the South)

13 hours ago, Clodi said:

Thanks guys, the boats name is Lepus which, as I'm sure you know means Hare and the welsh translation is Ysgyfarnog

My understanding is that the Thames, Severn and Trent lockies divert any boat with a name they can't pronounce via the weir cuts

• Haha 1

Way way back.... being English and moving to Nth Wales, both primary and secondary schools was taught in Welsh, even English was taught in Welsh (I know that takes some working out). Which does explains a lot.... Nieces and nephews all had Welsh as their 1st language.

18 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Dunno, but..........

The people who had our boat built keep the pub at Red Wharf Bay, on Ynys Mon.

I sometimes think we should show 'Red Wharf' on one side and 'Treath-coch on the other.

Except that “traeth” means beach and “llong” means wharf. 

Edited by Dyertribe

A former, Chinese, colleague learnt fluent welsh to impress a girl he met in Bangor University. He then went on to lead the Welsh translation of Open Office. Despite all that effort, he never got to Bang her.

Sorry, true story but totally irrelevant to the op.

Rob

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Clodi said:

notify them in Welsh of course

• Love 1

7 hours ago, RLWP said:

My understanding is that the Thames, Severn and Trent lockies divert any boat with a name they can't pronounce via the weir cuts

Well we don't stand a chance then with Latin or Cymraeg. I'll have to resort to bribery