Gas pipe sizing

Farey

Featured Posts

Gone are the lovely simple days when folk simply stood their gas bottles next to the cooker connected to it with a short bit of hose whether it was a boat, caravan or chalet. But everyone, well most folk always religiousely turned the bottle on and off before and after use. I never heard of anyone blowing themselves up.  Mind you, I think there were sometimes minor splosions when someone turn a gas ring on and fumbled too long finding the matches and recieved singed eyebrows when they did.  You could always tell the folk who'd done it, walking down the street minus eyebrows and eye lashes and a red, raw frazzled boko.

Edited by bizzard

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Gone are the lovely simple days when folk simply stood their gas bottles next to the cooker connected to it with a short bit of hose whether it was a boat, caravan or chalet. But everyone, well most folk always religiousely turned the bottle on and off before and after use. I never heard of anyone blowing themselves up.

Its an interesting point. I'm not sure I can recall any instance of a boat ever blowing up from a gas leak.

The odd one here and there from petrol fumes, but never a gas explosion. Can anyone here cite any examples of a total loss of a canal boat from gas explosion? There have been a few cases of lost eyebrows but never loss of life or loss of a canal boat that I can recall. 

33 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its an interesting point. I'm not sure I can recall any instance of a boat ever blowing up from a gas leak.

The odd one here and there from petrol fumes, but never a gas explosion. Can anyone here cite any examples of a total loss of a canal boat from gas explosion? There have been a few cases of lost eyebrows but never loss of life or loss of a canal boat that I can recall. 

Not a total load, but one of the ex-Ownerships share boats suffered a gas explosion, which resulted in blown out windows and moved bulkheads. It was in the mid 1990's.

It was reported at one of the annual owners meetings. I understand that the gas bottle was not quite empty when it was being changed. The co-owner apparently tipped the bottle on its side and opened the valve again for some reason. Gas rushed into the boat cabin via the open door and unfortuneately his wife chose that moment to switch a light on. The spark ignited the gas and blew several windows out of the boat.

A passer by boarde the boat and threw the bottle into the cut, extinguishing the flames. Both the co-owner and his wife suffered minor burns and the boat was out of use for the rest of the season.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Not a total load, but one of the ex-Ownerships share boats suffered a gas explosion, which resulted in blown out windows and moved bulkheads. It was in the mid 1990's.

It was reported at one of the annual owners meetings. I understand that the gas bottle was not quite empty when it was being changed. The co-owner apparently tipped the bottle on its side and opened the valve again for some reason. Gas rushed into the boat cabin via the open door and unfortuneately his wife chose that moment to switch a light on. The spark ignited the gas and blew several windows out of the boat.

A passer by boarde the boat and threw the bottle into the cut, extinguishing the flames. Both the co-owner and his wife suffered minor burns and the boat was out of use for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the example.

Presumably this boat had a valid BSS. So that was no help at all in preventing this 'gas incident'...!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks for the example.

Presumably this boat had a valid BSS. So that was no help at all in preventing this 'gas incident'...!!!!!!

Indeed, unless in this case BSS meant "bluddy stupid share-owner" ?

Edited by cuthound
To add a hyphen

43 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure I can recall any instance of a boat ever blowing up from a gas leak.

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The co-owner apparently tipped the bottle on its side and opened the valve again for some reason.

Is an intentional opening of the valve a leak ?

I'd suggest not.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is an intentional opening of the valve a leak ?

I'd suggest not.

Interestingly this is probably the reason GSR never use the term 'gas leak', they always say "uncontrolled escape of unburned gas", or words to that effect. 

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Gone are the lovely simple days when folk simply stood their gas bottles next to the cooker connected to it with a short bit of hose whether it was a boat, caravan or chalet. But everyone, well most folk always religiousely turned the bottle on and off before and after use. I never heard of anyone blowing themselves up.  

My parents had a small cruiser where the gas bottle was immediately below the two rings and connected by a length of rubber tube,  Some rule or another made this unacceptable, so the gas bottle was mounted on the transom, to the satisfaction of the authority.  It left a space beneath the two rings, which was most suitable for a spare bottle.....

The spare petrol for the outboard was kept in old motor oil cans.  You needed to keep an eye on the bottom of the can as they would occasionally rust through.  I remember my dad using a bucket to bail out an invisible vapour, after some mishap.

8 minutes ago, Tacet said:

The spare petrol for the outboard was kept in old motor oil cans.  You needed to keep an eye on the bottom of the can as they would occasionally rust through.  

You can still get those cans. But I don't think you are allowed to keep petrol in them any more.

0342792-1.jpg