Hillmorton

roland elsdon

Featured Posts

On 19/08/2018 at 10:17, dogless said:

The evil swines!

Disgraceful that they don't wish to freely give their help interfere with people enjoying working their boats through the locks at weekends.

I can see what all the complaints are about now.

Rog

Corrected your post for you...

;)

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

The trouble with Braunston volunteers is what your post has just said.

I don't doubt they are courteous and follow the guidelines, but if there are two of them on, they are both invariably at the bottom lock.

Overall this does very little to help anybody get through the other 5 locks, particularly as the pounds towards the top are regularly a foot or more down below proper level.

If their actual sphere of operation included walking the flight, and particularly controlling water levels, then they would be an enormous asset.  Just glued to the bottom lock, with little idea of what is going on at the other five they are adding very little to the smooth operation of the flight, are they?

Note:  This is not a criticism of the individuals, (assuming that's what they have been told to do), but does rather make t look like a CRT publicity exercise with little useful overall benefit.

For all I knew there may have been other volunteers further up the flight. I didn't walk up and didn't ask the lockies. 

Is too much being asked? After all these folks are "volunteers."

To quote Mrs T's employers strap line "Every little helps." IMHO.

As all are aware you can decline their offers of help.

Edited by Ray T

34 minutes ago, dogless said:

Thank you.

You're probably right.

It's the weekend boaters that are the problem not the volunteers ;)

Rog

Anyone can make a mistake but if the boat owner is observant in a high risk situation (like the OP was) the chance of injury or boat damage would be greatly reduced. 

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

But you can't when their "help" consists of telling you how to work the lock/paddles and in a way that in my opinion is dangerous. The only way would be to tell them to go away and that seems a bit rude to me. 

However in my case it was one of about four AND wife reminded me another felt compelled to apologise to her for this individuals remarks about her boat handling - which I admit can be a bit erratic at times because she seem a bit slow to react.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I am currently trying to resolve the wording that is going to be placed prominently on a notice on my boat, to request volunteers do not attempt to assist me in lock using.

It is difficult because i wish the notice to be short but crystal clear, without being offensive. I may also want help at some point for example if solo boating, so do not wish to alienate the volunteers, some of whom as has been discussed are good.

I very firmly believe the volunteers should ask permission to help boaters, some do.

Any ideas ?

be nice

5 hours ago, Ray T said:

For all I knew there may have been other volunteers further up the flight. I didn't walk up and didn't ask the lockies. 

Is too much being asked? After all these folks are "volunteers."

To quote Mrs T's employers strap line "Every little helps." IMHO.

Other than in the yera the idea was first intruduced, I have never seen a "volly" at Braunston anywhere in the flight but the bottom lock.

That doesn't mean it never happens, but we pass through there a lot, and they eem to cover just one lock.

There were three volunteer lock keepers at the single lock at Stenson on the T&M just now, which given there is currently only maybe a boat an hour seems distinct overkill.

3 hours ago, billS said:

"Any offer of assistance is appreciated, but my doctor has ordered me to do more exercise, so no thanks this time."

If they go and do it anyway, you can remind them that they have been trained to ask first.

Im not signwriting that on a board, they would never read it. It needs to be short and pithy.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Other than in the yera the idea was first intruduced, I have never seen a "volly" at Braunston anywhere in the flight but the bottom lock.

That doesn't mean it never happens, but we pass through there a lot, and they eem to cover just one lock.

I have seen the Braunston lockies by lock 3, having a beer in the Nelson whilst watching us let water down.

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

if QE = Quantatative Easing (ie printing money) then the iPhone fits the bill - except that all the printed money goes to Apple.

Lol. 

No, in this case QE = Quantum Entanglement.

Affect a particle here, and its partner will be instantaneously similarly affected wherever it is in the universe. Instant, faster-than-light communication... available right now, only in selected science fiction novels... ;)

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I am currently trying to resolve the wording that is going to be placed prominently on a notice on my boat, to request volunteers do not attempt to assist me in lock using.

It is difficult because i wish the notice to be short but crystal clear, without being offensive. I may also want help at some point for example if solo boating, so do not wish to alienate the volunteers, some of whom as has been discussed are good.

I very firmly believe the volunteers should ask permission to help boaters, some do.

Any ideas ?

be nice

VOLLIES

THANKS BUT NO THANKS

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Lol. 

No, in this case QE = Quantum Entanglement.

Affect a particle here, and its partner will be instantaneously similarly affected wherever it is in the universe. Instant, faster-than-light communication... available right now, only in selected science fiction novels... ;)

I think it has been demonstrated in a laboratory hasn’t it? So not entirely science fiction.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

I think it has been demonstrated in a laboratory hasn’t it? So not entirely science fiction.

They think they’ve seen the effect but that’s a long, long way from being able to utilise it.