Belt/holster for lock handle

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if there is a special belt /holster for holding a lock handle.? At the moment I am using a length of rope tied around my waist with a reef knot,and a small loop with a reef knot for the lock handle.As I sail solo,it is necessary to have hands free for lock ladders and crossing lock gates.The length of rope works,but I think I must look like a vagrant.

I will be grateful for any information and where to buy one. [if there is such a piece of kit]

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Furness said:

Does anyone know if there is a special belt /holster for holding a lock handle.? At the moment I am using a length of rope tied around my waist with a reef knot,and a small loop with a reef knot for the lock handle.As I sail solo,it is necessary to have hands free for lock ladders and crossing lock gates.The length of rope works,but I think I must look like a vagrant.

I will be grateful for any information and where to buy one. [if there is such a piece of kit]

Thanks in advance.

Just wear a normal belt over your clothes and shove the windlass down the small of your back like the guy on the right.

0B0B97A2-E312-46C7-BAF9-788E789EEDC5.jpeg

Edited by Robbo

Please, please call it a windlass! (To my mind "lock handles" are the permanent handles fitted balance beams to help you pull on the gates!)

Dave on Anon is a good source

My wife uses this style,although I'm not too keen on them, and think it a bit too easy to lose the windlass

wp5a1a0fe6_05_06.jpg

My preference is the single loop, though you to need to be a bit careful about the dangling windlass end bashing boat paintwork.

wp3764b6ba_05_06.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher
My keyboard is dropping lots of characters.

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Please, please call it a windlass! (To my mind "lock handles" are the permanent handles fitted balance beams to help you pull on the gates!)

My wife uses this style,although I'm not too keen on them, and think it a bit too easy to lose the windlass

wp5a1a0fe6_05_06.jpg

My preference is the single loop, though you to need to be a bit careful about the dangling windlass end bashing boat paintwork.

wp3764b6ba_05_06.jpg

Many thanks Alan. Thats just what I'm looking for.OK, I'll call it by it's correct name.A windlass.

PS. Could you tell me what that bent bollard thing very close to lock gates is called.?They always seem to be bent the wrong way for tying to.

5 minutes ago, Furness said:

Many thanks Alan. Thats just what I'm looking for.OK, I'll call it by it's correct name.A windlass.

PS. Could you tell me what that bent bollard thing very close to lock gates is called.?They always seem to be bent the wrong way for tying to.

They probably for routing rope for when connected to a horse 

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

wp5a1a0fe6_05_06.jpg

I use one of these and can't fault it.

Beware putting in your belt behind your back it could land you in hospital.

I used to do that and one Christmas slipped on a set of lock steps going back to the boat after shutting the gate and landed on my back, I ended up in A&E luckily nothing broken but it was very painful made much worse by the paddle handle.

Since then it goes over my shoulder with the handle inside my shirt and resting by my shoulder blade much safer.

Edited by Loddon

During my working & hoteling time I never carried my windlass in my belt I found pushing on lock beams the metal dug into my back I always put the windass around the back of my neck with the eyelet & handle tucked under my jacket front  a good number of northern boaters carried windlasses in the same way in fact that's were I came across the place to store

22 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

During my working & hoteling time I never carried my windlass in my belt I found pushing on lock beams the metal dug into my back I always put the windass around the back of my neck with the eyelet & handle tucked under my jacket front  a good number of northern boaters carried windlasses in the same way in fact that's were I came across the place to store

Windlass2.JPG

'Er Indoors loves her Lockmaster and she uses one of the over one shoulder style of holders.  It works fine allowing her to use both hands to manoeuvre, but I am constantly reminding her to mind the paintwork!

I can't for the life of me remember where we got it from but Dave on Anon makes a similar style.

I find the best option is a belt around my waist (over clothing) and the windlass stuffed into it at my stomach. If you put it to your back it is painful when pushing lock beams. I have one of the dangly holster type but found it kept bashing the boat and everything else.