Magnet Fishing

max's son

Featured Posts

article in the Worcester paper   http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/16419362.worcester-friends-find-15-trollies-and-between-five-and-10-bicycles-whilst-magnet-fishing-in-canal-near-shrub-hill-retail-park-tallow-hill/

Is this sport taking off, what do they do with the trollies when they fish them out, throw them back in for another person to catch?

Isn't the best place to do it near a lock at least you might catch a windlass or two.

YouTube is full of people using magnets to clear carp out of the cut.

C&RT don't approve as it may leave them open to litigation if someone injures themselves. So officially they disapprove.

The majority of those on YouTube call up a scrap dealer and tell them where it is, that of course doesn't mean it can't be chucked back in before they arrive.

I volunteer with The Coventry Canal Society and regularly drag the five and a half from Sutton Stop towards The Basin.  We remove trollies belonging to Tesco every time and the number is usually in the teens.  Tescos don't want them back as once they've been in the cut it's impossible to clean out the tubular frame completely.  Ours go to a scrapper who is vey keen to collect the high grade stainless steel.

It seems they cost from £85 to a couple of grand when new, it's astonishing how many of them that we fish out are the expensive ones that clip onto a wheelchair or have a gadget on the top to clip a baby carrier to.

Many of the bridges near me have an untidy pile of rusty carp next to them. The local scrapmen (totters) who tour the area in an old pickup shouting "any old iron" haven't cottoned on yet.

I suspect the local scrotes will throw it back in and thenear the magnetic fishers will fish it out again ad infinitum.

46 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Many of the bridges near me have an untidy pile of rusty carp next to them. The local scrapmen (totters) who tour the area in an old pickup shouting "any old iron" haven't cottoned on yet.

I suspect the local scrotes will throw it back in and thenear the magnetic fishers will fish it out again ad infinitum.

DSCF0185small.jpg