The wood panels on the walls

Zayna

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Walls are bulkheads. Just saying.

I thought bulkheads were the partitions which create ‘walls’ between the various areas on the boat. 

17 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Veneered Plywood, Most timber merchants will either have in stock or be able to order.

And there are many different veneers and different thicknesses of veneered plywood. Best to take a sample with you when ordering if you want it to match. 

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You thought correctly.  Ignore the ex-Navy bloke who seems confused. :P

Don't be tempted by veneered MDF.  Awful stuff, especially on a boat - if it gets damp it falls apart.

Me? Any wall in nautical terms is a 'bulkhead'. Ceiling is Deckhead. Floor is deck. 

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Me? Any wall in nautical terms is a 'bulkhead'. Ceiling is Deckhead. Floor is deck. 

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

bulkhead

NOUN

A dividing wall or barrier between separate compartments inside a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I reckon the OP's photo is of the cabin side.

Thinking about this, I always refer to the bit between the welldeck and the cabin as the forrad/forward bulkhead.

It's definitely not a cabinside, so is it a cabinfront?  Also, if you have a bulkhead light on the outside of ship, is it not a bulkhead light?

Hmm.  Different usages, or is the OED wrong?

Whatever one chooses to call it, the plywood lining on the inside of the cabin sides aren't bulkheads. 

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

What do you call the outside bulkheads then?

The outside bulkheads are bulkheads. They separate the cabin from the bow or stern decks. But I've never heard anyone refer to cabin sides as bulkheads. 

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hmm.  Different usages, or is the OED wrong?

Strictly, or technically correct I guess, but in more general terms the Navy tend to call all the "walls" in a ship "bulkheads", so Nightwatch is correct in the colloquial sense as it is language in regular use. The Navy would, of course, use the correct terms on drawings, etc.  

I think you're right in every sense with the fwd bulkhead. :)

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't be tempted by veneered MDF.  Awful stuff, especially on a boat - if it gets damp it falls apart.

Depends on the MDF. I've had veneered MDF linings on my doors for the past 13 years. They've got soaked plenty of times. The veneer is a bit weathered but the MDF is fine. Same with my bathroom bulkheads. Veneered MDF. 

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Depends on the MDF. I've had veneered MDF linings on my doors for the past 13 years. They've got soaked plenty of times. The veneer is a bit weathered but the MDF is fine. Same with my bathroom bulkheads. Veneered MDF. 

Soaked, or rained on the veneer?  I am guessing you went for moisture resistant MDF when you built your boat - but most places don't stock it.

I built my bathroom counter out of green water resistant MDF and tiled it. I left a big offcut on the pontoon outside as I didn't have anywhere to store it. 6 months later a neighbour asked if he could have it to build something. It had gone a bit yellow with the uv exposure but otherwise it was fine. 

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Soaked, or rained on the veneer?  I am guessing you went for moisture resistant MDF when you built your boat - but most places don't stock it.

Soaked the exposed top of the MDF too. I'm not sure what type it was. The builder stuck it on the doors. 

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Whatever one chooses to call it, the plywood lining on the inside of the cabin sides aren't bulkheads. 

The outside bulkheads are bulkheads. They separate the cabin from the bow or stern decks. But I've never heard anyone refer to cabin sides as bulkheads. 

I think it's what you just called it a lining. What ever material is used ply, t & g. Etc.