Otters in the GU

Mike E-W

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Are you for or against the apparently random cryptic string of letters thingy? Or do you like eating otters? Crispy great crested newts are tastier. We need to know. 

Otter curry is nice........ The otter the better! 

Otta lotta people know that. 

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

There's Mink around the GU.  Not easily mistaken for otters by folk who know what they're looking at... but they can be a bit thin ! on the ground;)

We have a family of 5 on the mooring at Cowroast, the rabbits disappeared quickly, they are absolutely fearless, last week, one hid in a rainwater drain in one of the cottages when the lid was lifted it reared up, teeth bared ready to take on anybody, anything, anytime.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Smart Motorway Project Jim.

Probably otters where the river Tove meets the canal at Towcester and then st Cosgrove where it crosses the Great Ouse.

I knew that, google is my friend! How are otters connected? Unless, if there are otters, it might styme the project. The post is uninformative.

30 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Otters are being introduced all over the system next thing the Hooray Henry Country set will be out with the otter hounds .

Could you give me a reference for that please?  All I can find (both now and in the past) points to the recolonisation being natural.

44 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Otters are being introduced all over the system next thing the Hooray Henry Country set will be out with the otter hounds .

Nothing quite like being indignant well in advance over something that only exists in your imagination and is unlikely to get beyond it!  You must be really pissed off about all kinds of imaginary scenarios that aren't going to happen but would be much worse than that if they did. :D

• Greenie 1

On our way back after our three month summer cruise. Seen more mink this trip, especially on the Oxford and the GU, than I ever remember in previous years. However, I have heard that where otters are making a comeback, they soon see off any resident minks. Don’t know whether that is true, but I am sure than someone on this forum will know.

8 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

On our way back after our three month summer cruise. Seen more mink this trip, especially on the Oxford and the GU, than I ever remember in previous years. However, I have heard that where otters are making a comeback, they soon see off any resident minks. Don’t know whether that is true, but I am sure than someone on this forum will know.

I don't, but 'The Independent', as quoted on the internet, seems to think so. It mentions Government-funded otter reintroduction programmes, and also says that otters will kill mink (the otters are larger, so that is feasible). Mink numbers have, they say, dramatically declined over the last few years.

Or perhaps they just chase them away from rivers and on to higher ground, where of course they become Hillman Minks.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:
1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Nothing quite like being indignant well in advance over something that only exists in your imagination and is unlikely to get beyond it!  You must be really pissed off about all kinds of imaginary scenarios that aren't going to happen but would be much worse than that if they did. :D

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I don't, but 'The Independent', as quoted on the internet, seems to think so. It mentions Government-funded otter reintroduction programmes, and also says that otters will kill mink (the otters are larger, so that is feasible). Mink numbers have, they say, dramatically declined over the last few years.

Or perhaps they just chase them away from rivers and on to higher ground, where of course they become Hillman Minks.

Could you give me a reference for that please?  All I can find (both now and in the past) points to the recolonisation being natural.

When i visited Sea World Birmingham many years back they had otters which if bred then the young would be released into the wild .

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Dr Broughton.

image.png.40a0cece883e9cfecec2062990109e5a.png

Thank you.  I was forgetting that 20 years ago things had been so bad releases were made.  I was just looking at the recent situation where they seem to be doing so well they don't need reintroduction.

42 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

1.  Please try and keep up at the back.

2. Please don't put your gender stereotypes on Tiny!

:P

I don't think that, just by looking at a newt, I could tell which gender it was (especially if it was tiny), though doubtless another newt could.

So, in the words of Lou Reed, now he's a she?

Edited by Athy