Tin storage area under the gunnel

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

Hi

We have a u shape kitchen. We want to put a slimline cupboard under the gunnel in the kitchen area wide enough to store a single line of tins and jars along the wall.

Has anyone got or seen a tin\jar storage area built under the gunnel that they could share a photo?

I am looking for idea's 

Thanks

Edited by Steve Manc
To add further information

27 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I read it as a storage area for tins rather than a storage area constructed from tin?

The words tin\jar storage area are bit of a clue, which I suspect has been added (well the jar anyway).  I read it as storage for tins rather than made of tin (even before the addition of jar).

I don't have any photos but I've often seen boats with shallow shelves or cupboards opposite a U- shaped kitchen. Hinged doors can get in the way, so think about sliding doors or just a curtain or open shelves. For the latter a raised lip along the shelf edge or a fiddle rail will stop all the tins ending up on the floor. But perhaps not a place to store your glassware.

If you mean in the galley rather than opposite it in the walkway, this is ours after a refit.

It  works very well for us.

Black Prince hire boats have a similar design, which we based ours on.

If it helps I could measure up next time we are on the boat in a fortnight’s time.

273FB78E-4479-4F09-A8E8-FB3A0C6FB79B.jpeg

87073D39-1B05-44A3-BC75-04D15A2E863F.jpeg

009230F8-B356-4957-9114-C505DB1CAB21.jpeg

We had one installed, to my dimensions and design, by the carpenter at Calcutt.  It is a bit deeper perhaps than you were thinking, it takes 2 rows of tin on the shelves, and will take 2 x 18 packs of cans of beer on the bottom shelf, ie the depth is basically a bit more that the height of a 440ml can.

Not the best photo, but the only one to hand, you can see it on the left of the photo.

920E779E-5C43-4419-8CE0-9D258F6E9A84.jpeg

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

We had one installed, to my dimensions and design, by the carpenter at Calcutt.  It is a bit deeper perhaps than you were thinking, it takes 2 rows of tin on the shelves, and will take 2 x 18 packs of cans of beer on the bottom shelf, ie the depth is basically a bit more that the height of a 440ml can.

Not the best photo, but the only one to hand, you can see it on the left of the photo.

All,  thank you for your replies.

John6767

would you know what your dimensions are?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Steve Manc said:

All,  thank you for your replies.

John6767

would you know what your dimensions are?

Cheers

I don't have the drawings anymore, they were low tech on paper!  I would need to measure it but will not be at the boat for at least a week. 

Basically the width of it matches the width of the kitchen 'U' so that it does not directly encroach on the narrow part each side.  you can see the top overhangs and each end with an angled part so you cant impale yourself on the corner. The other side of it does not have the 3 little shelves under on the outside.   The internal depth is going to be something like 18cm (given the height of a 440m can in 15cm) and there are 2 shelves plus the base so 3 usable storage surfaces with the bottom one a bit higher so it will take 18 packs of beer cans!  The underneath was designed so it is accessible so I could put ballast in to help trim the boat, as everything is on the other side of the boat, right now there are I think 10 engineering bricks in there, I really should swap them for steel and get a bit more mass on that side.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Ours is very similar to this one.  It holds so much stuff.... brilliant

Edited by WarringtonWhite