Lockgate Refleks 2000 thermostat problem

eid

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Longer chimney to increase the draw?

If you get to a show ave a look at the length of the flue and chimneys on the Bubble stove caravan. Must be 9 or 10 ft long.

I tried putting on my longer chimney. It seemed to improve things a little. I then added the other one on top which also seemed to help a little.

8 hours ago, cuthound said:

I had similar problems. This thread shows how to fix it. In particular Koukouvagias thread on stripping and servicing a drip feed stove is useful.

Thanks. I'm reading through them now. I did give everything accessible a good clean/brush. Not sure if it's made a difference yet.

4 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

You need to adjust the high flame screw and turn it down.  Before you do this make sure the stove is fully heated up then make a very small  (1/4 turn)  adjustment.  Then leave alone for ten minutes and observe the effect. 

These stoves don't need tall chimneys to work efficiently, but they don't like too many bends, especially right angled ones, in the flue.

Thanks. At what setting should I do this?

I don't have much bend in the flu. About 30 degrees total I'd estimate.

Edited by eid

2 minutes ago, eid said:

Thanks. At what setting should I do this?

Sorry, I should have said - about 3.  It's a question of trial and error.  Just keep count of how many quarter turns you make so you can go back if things go wrong.

Just now, koukouvagia said:

Sorry, I should have said - about 3.  It's a question of trial and error.  Just keep count of how many quarter turns you make so you can go back if things go wrong.

Will do. I'll let you know how things go.

I have been pondering the later parts of this topic and think that although the OP now has a nice blue flame the way they achieved it has only de-rated the stove's output. It probably still produces sufficient heat for a boat but I very much doubt its the heat give in the specifications. Although  am sure it was given in good faith I think koukouvagia's statement that the stoves do not need a tall flue to operate efficiently is a bit misleading. Yes, they can be adjusted to give a clean burn with the control set to maximum but it will be at a reduced heat output.

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have been pondering the later parts of this topic and think that although the OP now has a nice blue flame the way they achieved it has only de-rated the stove's output. It probably still produces sufficient heat for a boat but I very much doubt its the heat give in the specifications. Although  am sure it was given in good faith I think koukouvagia's statement that the stoves do not need a tall flue to operate efficiently is a bit misleading. Yes, they can be adjusted to give a clean burn with the control set to maximum but it will be at a reduced heat output.

I'd certainly like to find out. This is what I have at present:

20180818_122746.jpg.3f4102f1916279c6d29728f5c2b3ef20.jpg

The one on the left is about 12" long. Does anyone know where I could get a longer one in the UK? I've found one on the Refleks site in Germany but would prefer a local supplier.

The one on the right is for windy conditions I guess?

Also, do these stoves have any protection to stop the fuel if the flame goes out?

I've been prompted by Tony's remarks to have a look again at the installation instructions provided by Refleks.  Surprisingly, they say nothing about the length of flue pipe needed, but stress that to get the best combustion the following should be observed:  if possible the flue should be vertical; there should be no more than two ninety degree bends; no horizontal part of the flue should exceed 12"; the flue should be uninsulated in the boat, but insulated outside; it is recommended that a distance of 16" should be left between the bottom of the cowl and the roof.  Most important is to use one of the specially designed Refleks down draft caps or cowls.

Just in case anyone is interested the flue on our boat is about 3' inside and a futher 2' outside (but it's not insulated).

I've no idea how much adjusting the high flame as per Refleks instructions de-rates the stove as Tony suspects.  An interesting idea.  However, I've never needed to turn the regulator up more than half even in the coldest weather.

What has made a huge difference is the addition of a catalyser (a sort of stainless steel wire cage dropped into the burner pot).  Later models of the Refleks all have a catalyser, but earlier ones didn't.  Before I fitted one of these, no amount of adjustment would completely eliminate yellow-tinged flames.  Now the flame burns blue and the catalyser glows red hot.

4 hours ago, eid said:

I'd certainly like to find out. This is what I have at present:

20180818_122746.jpg.3f4102f1916279c6d29728f5c2b3ef20.jpg

The one on the left is about 12" long. Does anyone know where I could get a longer one in the UK? I've found one on the Refleks site in Germany but would prefer a local supplier.

The one on the right is for windy conditions I guess?

Also, do these stoves have any protection to stop the fuel if the flame goes out?

The Little Chimney Company operate from a pair of boats in the Coventry Canal, and will make bespoke stainless steel chimneys. They no longer have a webpage,  but do have a Facebook page.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

The Little Chimney Company operate from a pair of boats in the Coventry Canal, and will make bespoke stainless steel chimneys. They no longer have a webpage,  but do have a Facebook page.

They used to be (I guess still are?) one of the last boats moored before Hartshill Works if travelling towards Atherstone. 

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

They used to be (I guess still are?) one of the last boats moored before Hartshill Works if travelling towards Atherstone. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I may have seen them on my way through there in July. Do they tow a small butty?

I had completely forgotten them.

Edited by eid

12 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

it is recommended that a distance of 16" should be left between the bottom of the cowl and the roof.  Most important is to use one of the specially designed Refleks down draft caps or cowls.

I guess they mean these:

https://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/ofen-herd-und-kocher/abgashaube

The one in my picture looks similar so that's covered. I don't think I have 16" below it though; I'll have to measure later.

Thanks

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yes, they (father, mother & son) cruise up and down the Coventry, generally between Hopwas and Hartshill, though i have on rare iccasions seen them further afield.

26 minutes ago, eid said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I may have seen them on my way through there in July. Do they tow a small butty?

I had completely forgotten them.

Yes, they have a maroon coloured boat and nutty. The butty is about 30 foot long and has an impressive stainless steel 'ellum.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Yes, they (father, mother & son) cruise up and down the Coventry, generally between Hopwas and Hartshill, though i have on rare iccasions seen them further afield.

Yes, they have a maroon coloured boat and nutty. The butty is about 30 foot long and has an impressive stainless steel 'ellum.

What is an 'ellum? The one I saw had a very impressive tiller but I believe it was carved wood.

2 hours ago, eid said:

What is an 'ellum? The one I saw had a very impressive tiller but I believe it was carved wood.

The 'ellum is indeed the rudder of a butty, traditionally made of wood.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

A nutty butty!

Bluddy spillchucker ?

• 1 year later...
On 15/08/2018 at 08:36, Tony Brooks said:

I think I am right in saying that there is an extra float under the lid that sits in its own"chamber" with weir that is normally above the oil level connecting it to the main float chamber. The purpose is to cut the fuel off if the oil level rises that would result in over firing. Do you have a weeping level/needle valve so over time the safety float has triggered?

Hi Tony,

Should this trigger the cut-off in the event of the flame being blown out?

55 minutes ago, eid said:

Hi Tony,

Should this trigger the cut-off in the event of the flame being blown out?

No. On the stoves I have seen it operates if the float valve sticks open for some reason and so flood the combustion chamber and in extreme cases flood the whole boat. If the flame blew out the float valve should still maintain the correct level in the burner and control chamber.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

No. On the stoves I have seen it operates if the float valve sticks open for some reason and so flood the combustion chamber and in extreme cases flood the whole boat. If the flame blew out the float valve should still maintain the correct level in the burner and control chamber.

OK thank you Tony.