MPPT fan/controller

rusty69

Featured Posts

My cheap Taiwanese 60A MPPT controller is displaying error code 37 - Fan out of order.

The fan initially runs before stopping and producing the error code. I have removed the fan from the unit and connected it to a 12V supply.It is a typical computer type fan, It runs fine.

I am assuming it is a speed controller/electronic problem.

Anything I can check before consigning it to landfill (its out of warranty)

Thanks

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

1.  My cheap Taiwanese 60A MPPT controller.....

2.  Anything I can check before consigning it to landfill (its out of warranty)

Given #1, why bother with #2?

(Being facetious really, I quite rate Taiwanese electronics)

ETA: Just buy an appropriate Victron Smartsolar then at least you'll have one person thinking you've done the right thing! ;)

Edited by Sea Dog

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

And, as I say, there's some great Taiwanese electronics, but  home repairability on all this gear is a bit limited. See also my edit which crossed in the post.

I bought it from Taiwan, cos I also think they do some ok stuff.Its been fine for 4 years.I suspect its dustbin material but thought it worth an ask of the electronic boffins first!

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

....thought it worth an ask of the electronic boffins first!

Indeed.  I've had some great ones of those under my tender care, some able to repair to component level long after the Navy had given up on it.  Their skill got us out of some significantly iffy situations, but it's both a dying art and a one of increasingly few opportunities. Let's hope one's along shortly to get you another few years for your 200 quid controller.  If so, point him/her at me and let's see if they can do something for my 2000+ quid Mastervolt Combi!

2 wires or 3 on the fan?

if there is three then the third (usually white) wire is a speed measurement output.

a replacement fan should be easily found on ebay or similar given the dimensions or model / part No (of the fan not the controller)

edited to add...

a replacement fan should be cheap enough as a test before scrapping the unit

Edited by Jess--
  • Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

2 wires or 3 on the fan?

if there is three then the third (usually white) wire is a speed measurement output.

a replacement fan should be easily found on ebay or similar given the dimensions or model / part No (of the fan not the controller)

Its a 2 wire fan. I couldn't find an exact replacement, but bought a similar spec on ebay for a pound just to try it (not yet arrived)

2018-08-13 16.41.01.jpg

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its a 2 wire fan. I couldn't find an exact replacement, but bought a similar spec on ebay for a pound just to try it (not yet arrived)

See, that's pretty hard to beat as a first move.  Is there an option for subsequent moves, or is the unit otherwise pretty much an encapsulated block?

if it's only 2 wires then the controller can only be measuring current drawn by the fan to guess if it's running, and probably seeing too high a current and assuming the fan is dead when in reality the bearing (usually a rubbish sleeve) is running dry.

pop the label off the back of the fan and put a spot of oil down the bearing.

2 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

if it's only 2 wires then the controller can only be measuring current drawn by the fan to guess if it's running, and probably seeing too high a current and assuming the fan is dead when in reality the bearing (usually a rubbish sleeve) is running dry.

pop the label off the back of the fan and put a spot of oil down the bearing.

Many thanks label off. Rumaging round engine bay looking for oil...........

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

See, that's pretty hard to beat as a first move.  Is there an option for subsequent moves, or is the unit otherwise pretty much an encapsulated block?

The unit is in a nice metal box, easily accessible components.

Oil found.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Right it is soaking in oil overnight and i will try again tomorrow.

Thanks all.

it should only need a tiny drop, unless it's a fairly expensive fan the outer part will be phospor bronze (dark gold in colour) and the inner will just be a chromed or highly polished surface on the spindle of the fan

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Uh oh! Rusty has blown up his electrics mid post!

Au contraire my crunchy friend, just teasing!

So. Good news,on re installation , no error code 37 .Its been running now for about an hour,and having loaded it,it still remains on. 

A huge thanks to @Jess--

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Au contraire my crunchy friend, just teasing!

So. Good news,on re installation , no error code 37 .Its been running now for about an hour,and having loaded it,it still remains on. 

A huge thanks to @Jess--

What a result!  

Right, I'm now off to fill the bath with oil - I've a whole host of duff bits of kit just crying out to be given a good soaking.

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

What a result!  

Right, I'm now off to fill the bath with oil - I've a whole host of duff bits of kit just crying out to be given a good soaking.

I don't think soaking yourself in an oil bath is a good idea seadog... Well, maybe as a last resort! 

4 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Can also be worthwhile cleaning the blades and inner face of the frame as I have had a fan ‘Fail’ as the blade tips were rubbing.

The whole thing was quite dusty. Probably the cause of the fan failure.

I cleaned the inverter fans and circuit board whilst i was at it today.

Have renamed our boat Mr Dusty!