Isuzu engine ignition noise

Featured Posts

Hi

I've recently noticed that when I hold the ignition key in the 'heating' position prior to starting the Isuzu 35 engine there is an accompanying sound from the engine. It's best described as a 'sparking' sound. It also occurs when I hold in the Stop button prior to turning the ignition key to the off position.

Is this normal?

Ian

2 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

Hi

I've recently noticed that when I hold the ignition key in the 'heating' position prior to starting the Isuzu 35 engine there is an accompanying sound from the engine. It's best described as a 'sparking' sound. It also occurs when I hold in the Stop button prior to turning the ignition key to the off position.

Is this normal?

Ian

No, its not normal.

I could well be a faulty warning buzzer that sounds with the ignition turned on and any one or more of the following: No charge, low oil pressure, overheat. If it doe sit with the stop button pressed BEFORE the engine slows down then its not one of those but  bet it is.

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

"" engine there is an accompanying sound from the engine.""

Where is the noise coming from? Panel or engine?

Check the multi plugs on the wiring loom anyway, they are a constant nuisance. 

The 'sparking' sound seems to come from the engine - perhaps near the starter motor?

11 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Ropey engine earth?

Reminds me of trying to help a lady in distress many years ago. She was in a car park trying to start her Mini. The battery was in the boot and the braided earth strap was down to about 2 strands which were glowing red when she turned the engine over (slowly). 

I've investigated further but haven't found the cause of the noise which starts as soon as the ignition switch goes to the ON position.

I've tightened and WD40'd various connections, including an earth lead. A multiblock looked to be in good condition and was cable-tied to prevent separation as well as having a substantial insulating cover which was also cable tied to prevent it coming loose. I don't think this was the source of the problem.

The sound which I have described as 'sparking' (or possibly clicking) may not be caused by actual sparking though I intend to investigate again next week in the dark! As far as I can tell it's coming from somewhere near what I think is the fuel pump.

I have a friend on the same marina with the same engine and I will be asking him next week to see if his engine does anything similar. For the time being I'm having a short break from boat things. I'll post again if and when I (or some professional) solves this problem.

On 15/08/2018 at 13:06, Boater Sam said:

Electric fuel pumps do make a noise but usually just clicking, not sparking type noises. Could be on its way out?

On 15/08/2018 at 15:06, tosher said:

Yes my Isuzu 42 fuel pump click click clicks all the time whenever the ignition is switched on. You can't hear it of coarse once the engine is running.

Hello again. Thanks for previous comments.

After a break away from the boat I've returned to investigate the noise which recently caught my attention.

The noise does appear to come from the fuel pump (shown in diagram) as touching (despite the hazard warning sign) it indicates a vibration with a similar frequency to the noise.

A mp3 sound file of the noise is attached - the high pitched whine is the ignition warning sound. The other noise which I described as 'sparking' could be more of a 'clicking' sound. I haven't had a chance yet to compare this with my friend's boat with the same setup but I'm not so worried about sparking anymore and feel that the worse case scenario could be a new fuel pump if, indeed, the sound is abnormal. Any comments?

Ian

Fuel Pump Noise.mp3

Fuel Pump Photo 2.jpg

47 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It sounds noisy to me but I don’t know that pump so let’s wait and see what someone who actually knows the pump thinks. @Tony Brooks ?

Its a bit new for me so no experience of that particular pump, It does give the impression of  a pulse type fuel pump but what concerned me is that it is not a steady tick but varies in frequency. On a diesel with the engine stationary then pulse type pumps should tick at a rate commensurate with the leak back to the fuel tank so it should be a steady frequency once it has pressurised the system. A BMC with a 0.5m diameter leak back should tick slowly while say a Beta or Vetus with larger bore leak backs would tick faster.

First I would see if the pump can be mounted in a way that  puts rubber between the pump body and the mount and then I would knock up an emergency gravity feed tank just in case that erratic frequency means it is starting to fail. Over to someone with Isuzu experience for a more definitive answer.

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Its a rotary pump, not pulse, so it sounds like a car fuel injection pump.

That's it they just whine continually, good for self bleeding too with just the ignition key turned on.

22 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

How can the vendor selling one for £125 justify their price?

I see it all the time. Something advertised somewhere for £50, you go and search and find the exact same thing for £5. Many years ago I saw a posh set of barbecue tools in our local gardening centre for £95.  I then saw the exact same set in Makro for £9.49!

I guess there are enough gullible folk around that the expensive supplier succeeds. 

The clicking noise is much more rapid then on mine, probably about 2 or 3 times quicker. Mine is the original pump that came new with the engine and although it looks similar to yours something about it looks different so I suspect yours may not be original.

On 22/08/2018 at 12:55, tosher said:

The clicking noise is much more rapid then on mine, probably about 2 or 3 times quicker. Mine is the original pump that came new with the engine and although it looks similar to yours something about it looks different so I suspect yours may not be original.

The pump on my engine is also the original and looks exactly like the one on my friend's Isuzu 35. It also looks exactly like internet images of Isuzu replacement pumps. Perhaps Isuzu changed the pump at some time in recent history.

I've now been able to listen to the noise produced by my friend's fuel pump and they basically sound identical. He agrees that the sound could be described as 'sparking' so I don't feel quite the idiot some may think I am. I've learnt quite a lot in the last week or so thanks to those who offered advice - and I now have a spare replacement pump sourced at a very reasonable price.