alvecote historic boat gathering

Jrtm

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The view of the piling opposite my mooring. Definately about  6 inches down to the "tidemark".

20180815_142321.jpg

Well that certainly explains our failure to get in the dock, and the rough ride after that failure.

I don't immediately recall having seen Delta Queen, but may well have missed it.  Is it North or South of Alvecote, please?

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Well that certainly explains our failure to get in the dock, and the rough ride after that failure.

I don't immediately recall having seen Delta Queen, but may well have missed it.  Is it North or South of Alvecote, please?

North, about a mile further on.

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

That awful moment when you swing the tiller over for an up coming bend, and then you realise you're still heading in a straight line.

Coupled with the calculation that by the time you get into neutral ….. wait …. select reverse …. wind it back on, you'll have hit the bank!

Should I just power up in ahead and hope it pushes the back end round ……. ?

You're very poetic - probably wasted here

Ours was more of a crane related incident

Richard

We have been at Alvecote again today.

They are promising a large number of boats expected.

A quick (but not exhaustive) list of those already there........

Aquarius

Atlantic

Auriga

Australia

Birmingham

Bream

Chertsey

Cyprus

Darley

Effingham

Emu                      (loaded)

Flamingo              (well it was - we are now boating in it!).

Greyhound

Ilkeston

Ipswich

Jaguar                  (loaded)

Kangaroo

Linda

Lynx                      (loaded)

Northolt

Otter

Sickle

Stafford

Whitby

Edited by alan_fincher

Python can't be there this year I am afraid but Auntie Wainwright will be 

Accepting donations of the usual old crap that can have it's description re-aligned to suit the more discerning customer that ca be found at this excellent event 

Roll on 2019 when Python will be back!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

Accepting donations of the usual old crap that can have it's description re-aligned to suit the more discerning customer that ca be found at this excellent event 

Got any singers? 

3 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

What genre of song is it you prefer?

Well auntie i kinda like that abba song "sewing me, sewing you, ah ha!" 

I've been hunting high and low for it. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Python can't be there this year I am afraid but Auntie Wainwright will be 

Roll on 2019 when Python will be back!

I've got some more "tat" to bring. Have you any books with lots of pictures to show Mike please?

44 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Hoping to take White Heather if the levels are not too bad. Could someone post an update on the Alvecote levels on Tuesday/Wednesday please?

It has certainly not improved since Tuesday - a good 6" down I would say.

(We have just done Alvecote to Glascote - OK in our boat, but a bit bumpy at times).

EDIT:

Suggest you PM "cuthound" at the appropriate time, as he has an EoG mooring along that pound.

Edited by alan_fincher

I've just seen one which won't be attending. Early this evening, Fulbourne passed our house, heading towards the Great Ouse.  Getting it round the turn at Whittlesey must have been ticklish! We see perhaps two ex-working boats per year here on the Middle Levels, so the sight of it was quite a treat.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

I've just seen one which won't be attending. Early this evening, Fulbourne passed our house, heading towards the Great Ouse.  Getting it round the turn at Whittlesey must have been ticklish! We see perhaps two ex-working boats per year here on the Middle Levels, so the sight of it was quite a treat.

Although it looks tight we normally do the turn at Whittlesey this n one go. Surprised this year to get through Stanground lock without having to go through backwards!

photos of the turn:

B50863C8-C893-4961-9477-7706FD0353F6.jpeg

4B6021A3-E1B7-4FB2-BF86-3A3893E27339.jpeg

23 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Hoping to take White Heather if the levels are not too bad. Could someone post an update on the Alvecote levels on Tuesday/Wednesday please?

22 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Suggest you PM "cuthound" at the appropriate time, as he has an EoG mooring along that pound.

Please do to remind me and I will post a photo of the level against the piling opposite my mooring.

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Someones breasted up a Hare against us and disappeared up t'pub. Hare will be at Alvecote asking for donations as it costs a fortune to eat and drink up at the Narrowboat.

Cast it adrift, cheeky bugger