alvecote historic boat gathering

Jrtm

Featured Posts

We are, (both boats).

We weren/t planning to be here yet, as both boats were supposed to be going in to Grendon Dock today for blacking, but at Grendon it seems the bottom of the canal is far far too close to the top, mand neither boat came close to going in to the dock, and we had to abandon. (Bugger!)

So we have come on up to Alvecote, but really with no clear plan for the week and a half before the event - we may do a bit of boating with Flamingo before then, but not sure yet.

Quite a selection of "historics" are already here, including about 5 moored in the basin at the front of the "Barlow".

Levels are currently down at alvecote by several inches.  We have had a fairly bumpy ride up from Atherstone.

If CRT can't "find" the missing water in the next week and a half, I suspect winding full length boats will catch even more people out than when levels are higher.

yes we have badly struggled with levels so far. been stuck on 4 lock landings, on the bottom in 1 lock and couldn't get out. rolled over god knows how many things in the middle of the cut. been stuck for a bit in the middle of the channel. but there have been some really deep bits. were hoping to be there but might not make it till mid sat due to struggling on one day and ending about 1/2 -3/4 of a day behind.

3 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

yes we have badly struggled with levels so far. been stuck on 4 lock landings, on the bottom in 1 lock and couldn't get out. rolled over god knows how many things in the middle of the cut. been stuck for a bit in the middle of the channel. but there have been some really deep bits. were hoping to be there but might not make it till mid sat due to struggling on one day and ending about 1/2 -3/4 of a day behind.

Sounded and looked good when you chugged past me t'other day.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I've had an invite from the new owner of England so will be there on the Saturday.

I am confused - would that be Putin or Trump - or maybe Johnson ?

I have not yet been to an Alvecote bash and unfortunately this year will be no different, even though my boat has a mooring there (the boat will not be there either) :captain:

8 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I have not yet been to an Alvecote bash and unfortunately this year will be no different

Alvecote is our favourite of the calendar.

We didn't make it last year due to a last minute family emergency, (that ended up lasting about 6 months!)

This year hopefully we will, but even if we don't the boats are already there now(!)

3 hours ago, jake_crew said:

Billybobbooth - what do you draw ?

too dam much around 3feet 3- 3 feet 7 to get into  bank with no fenders it has to be 3feet 3 at the engine room to get in.

the back is 3 feet 6 but due to the swim it dosnt affect mooring up.

on the move im more about 3 feet 10

the back is 3 feet 6 but we have towy loaded so the back is 1 inch more in the water. underway on a deep bit you can't see our blue band. it's done like this as more out the prop just sloshed air

4 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

We're on our way with Hampton.  It'll be our first visit so we're looking forward to it.

same with us!

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Sounded and looked good when you chugged past me t'other day.

must have been before I got angry and nearly blew the prop bearing to bits again?

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

We were planning to go, but our boat has unexpectedly ended up on the bank

I saw her hanging about there at the weekend. Puzzled why the baseplate sacrificial lip has been ground off flush all along the length. Are you planning to weld a shoe on over, perhaps?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I saw her hanging about there at the weekend. Puzzled why the baseplate sacrificial lip has been ground off flush all along the length. Are you planning to weld a shoe on over, perhaps?

The sacrificial edge had been largely worn off by years of hirers bouncing along the edge of the Shroppie. We got fed up of the boat scaring boatyards and surveyors so she's getting some welding done

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

Thanks for that Billybob.

Our tug draws about the same.

Perhaps its a bad year this year, hopefully ther'll be more water next year when we intend to go to Alvecote.

what you got?

The pound between Atherstone bottom and Glascote top is currently about six inches down (it was lower until the recent rain).

My modern boat draws about two foot six inches and I cannot get the back within a foot of so of the bank at my EoG mooring.

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The pound between Atherstone bottom and Glascote top is currently about six inches down (it was lower until the recent rain).

My modern boat draws about two foot six inches and I cannot get the back within a foot of so of the bank at my EoG mooring.

This is part of the reason we were no able to get either of our working boat draughted boats into the dock at Grendon yesterday.

I wouldm't have had it as much as 6" down, but if it really is that clearly wasn't helping.

A bit of a bugger, because getting both boats blacked was very much part of the plan on this trip.

Certainly I then spent a lot of time dragging the bottom, moving on up from Grendon up to Alvecote.

41 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

This is part of the reason we were no able to get either of our working boat draughted boats into the dock at Grendon yesterday.

I wouldm't have had it as much as 6" down, but if it really is that clearly wasn't helping.

A bit of a bugger, because getting both boats blacked was very much part of the plan on this trip.

Certainly I then spent a lot of time dragging the bottom, moving on up from Grendon up to Alvecote.

The view of the piling opposite my mooring. Definately about  6 inches down to the "tidemark".

20180815_142321.jpg

I note that CRT have issued a stoppage notice for Glascote Locks for 21st August, to remove  an obstruction from a paddle. I wonder if this is why the pound is so low?

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space. Then to add the last sentence.

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

We were planning to go, but our boat has unexpectedly ended up on the bank

That awful moment when you swing the tiller over for an up coming bend, and then you realise you're still heading in a straight line.

Coupled with the calculation that by the time you get into neutral ….. wait …. select reverse …. wind it back on, you'll have hit the bank!

Should I just power up in ahead and hope it pushes the back end round ……. ?