The Guardian- Jellyfish spotted in The Shropshire canal..

Nunovyrbizz

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

May the good lord save us.

No doubt the ecology lobby will now insist that all work on repairing the breach must now cease.

You seem to have a somewhat bitter and twisted view of ecology.  As they are an alien species there is more likely to be an insistence on trying to wipe them out before they get too much of a hold.  (Assuming of course they haven't already).

It would appear they have been in the UK since 1838 probably introduced accidentally by explorers from Kew.  They occur in great numbers under the right conditions.  Little is known about their distribution in the UK, sightings should be reported, presumably to EA or perhaps English nature.

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

It would appear they have been in the UK since 1838 probably introduced accidentally by explorers from Kew.  They occur in great numbers under the right conditions.  Little is known about their distribution in the UK, sightings should be reported, presumably to EA or perhaps English nature.

It's a new one on me I have to say

Anyone know do they have a sting that can give humans a kick?

To add 

Apparently not it seems

Edited by tree monkey

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

It's a new one on me I have to say

Anyone know do they have a sting that can give humans a kick?

The only aquatic creature that can give you a good kick is a sea Horse !(hippocampus,there must be a joke there somewhere)

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Jerra said:

You seem to have a somewhat bitter and twisted view of ecology.  As they are an alien species there is more likely to be an insistence on trying to wipe them out before they get too much of a hold.  (Assuming of course they haven't already).

Not so bitter and twisted, but I recall the fiasco on the Chesterfield when work was stopped to protect the Mayfly, then the dredging took out all the larvae, the protected weed on the curly wurly that eventually choked the waterway and stifled other waterlife, and also the restrictions on the Monty after newts took to the new waters. Where were they before there was water? Perhaps I have a view that nature looks after itself and maintains balance of its own accord.

13 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Perhaps I have a view that nature looks after itself and maintains balance of its own accord.

So if nature is capable of looking after itself and maintaining a balance why are populations of such diverse species as Frogs, Hedgehogs, various insects and many birds crashing?

Have they all suddenly decided that they are out of balance and need to reduce their numbers?

To give a few examples of birds which are my main area of interest:

Tree Sparrow   Down 33% in the last 40 years.

Redpoll                "     16%       "          "

Sand Martin         "     12%      "          "

Puffin                   "     28%       "          "

Kingfisher            "       6%       "          "

These are a few chosen at random from the results of the 2007 - 11 Atlas Survey where every tetrad (2x2 Km square) was surveyed.

I am given to understand 14% of all British Beetles have a status of threatened.

The population of Water Voles fell by 90%

Hedgehog   66% decline in the last 13 years

etc etc