Throttle control cable assembly order

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

Hi All,

Going to put a new 33c throttle cable on the boat today,

Just want to check if I should connect the SL3(Morse control end) first,

Or, do I connect the linkage to the fuel pump end first.

I think it should be fuel pump first, but would like confirmation please.

I take it SL3 is a Lister engine. Is the new cable roughly the same length as the old one? There's normally about 3 different holes in the Morse controls throttle lever plate where the cable attaches, attach the new cable end to the same hole as the old one, that is as long as the old cable in that hole gave the correct movements and clip the outer cable on the same as the old one. With the Morse hand lever in the centre neutral position, check where the other end of the cable aligns up at the fuel pump lever, with the lever in the fully idle position.  There should be a threaded length on the outer cable with lock nuts on it attached to a bracket, useually bolted to the side of the engine for accurate final adjustment.  Route the cable with nice gentle curves, with no tight bends.

Edited by bizzard

Remember to do the final connection and adjustment with the control in slow ahead or astern. If you do not then you will be fine IF the control mechanically moves the cable anchor as you  engage the gear. If it does not and uses a spring, like many genuine Morse controls, then  adjusting with the control in neutral is likely to cause the engine to rev a bit as you engaige the gears.