Question for solo narrowboaters on the Thames

Neil2

Featured Posts

Whenever we've cruised the Thames I find it a bit frustrating that the lockies insist you tie up fore and aft when a centre line would in most cases suffice.  Because all the locks AFAIK use bollards, as opposed to say cables like on the Severn, it must be very difficult if not impossible for a single hander on a narrowboat to manage two lines especially going down.  How do solo boaters do it - or do you just wait until the lockie is off duty?

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Whenever we've cruised the Thames I find it a bit frustrating that the lockies insist you tie up fore and aft when a centre line would in most cases suffice.  Because all the locks AFAIK use bollards, as opposed to say cables like on the Severn, it must be very difficult if not impossible for a single hander on a narrowboat to manage two lines especially going down.  How do solo boaters do it - or do you just wait until the lockie is off duty?

The lockie will hold one line while you hold the other when descending. When rising, just tie the bow line off to a bollard. 

When the lockie is missing then yes do as you like. Tie off very loosely with just the centre line if descending alone and you have to operate the lock from the control pillar at the end of the lock. 

I once saw a hire boat using a centre line and only the lockies vigilance and quick reactions saved them. They were going up and had a turn round a bollard back to the steerer, the rope jammed on the bollard and in about 20 seconds the boat was almost gunwale down listing 30 odd degrees before the paddles finally shut. The lockie hit stop within seconds of the rope jamming.  This is why they want bow and stern lines, I have a very long bow line (over 100 foot) and have that and the stern line to hand only passed round and never a full turn, The Thames locks are gentle really if you want a test of mooring go up the Avon.

3 minutes ago, Detling said:

I once saw a hire boat using a centre line and only the lockies vigilance and quick reactions saved them. 

Only the locky's lack of vigilance allowed this to happen in the first place given he was on duty!

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

if you want a test of mooring go up the Avon.

Agreed. Both Avons can be bleak and miserable rivers to cruise due to impossibility of mooring except at proper VMs. 

1 hour ago, Detling said:

I once saw a hire boat using a centre line and only the lockies vigilance and quick reactions saved them. They were going up and had a turn round a bollard back to the steerer, the rope jammed on the bollard and in about 20 seconds the boat was almost gunwale down listing 30 odd degrees before the paddles finally shut. The lockie hit stop within seconds of the rope jamming.  This is why they want bow and stern lines, I have a very long bow line (over 100 foot) and have that and the stern line to hand only passed round and never a full turn, The Thames locks are gentle really if you want a test of mooring go up the Avon.

That's not a testimony to the lockie he should never have operated the lock with a boat held in such a fashion.

Having been up and down the Avon I can't imagine how a single hander would cope with the locks going upstream.  In fact the last time we were down that way we met a solo skipper who said he never cruised up the river, only ever downstream.   

I've only ever seen one single hander in a Thames lock and on that occasion he got off the boat and held it on a centre line whilst descending.  But I got the impression from his bonhomie with the lock keeper that he was a regular on the river and presumably trusted.  

I carry two long "river lines" that are long enough for me to scramble up the lock steps with both, get both around bollards and rop them. back onto the boat to turn the engine off ,anb back up onto the lock side to hold both ropes.

The only problem is when other boaters or lockies don't give me time. many also do not seem to realise that the stern swim on a narrowboat will almost always throw the stern out if they insist you stop totally before putting the stern line on.

1 hour ago, Detling said:

I once saw a hire boat using a centre line and only the lockies vigilance and quick reactions saved them. They were going up and had a turn round a bollard back to the steerer, the rope jammed on the bollard and in about 20 seconds the boat was almost gunwale down listing 30 odd degrees before the paddles finally shut.

But why was that a centre line issue? Couldn't the same have happened with a bow or stern line?

Even with a crew of one you have to think hard about his.  We have an extra long river rope attached to the bow cleat, coiled on the hatch at the back.  On entering the lock, going up,  the rope is thrown up and dropped, either by a crew member or a lockie, over two bollards, , one fore one aft, then dropped back down to the steerer

52 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I carry two long "river lines" that are long enough for me to scramble up the lock steps with both, get both around bollards and rop them. back onto the boat to turn the engine off ,anb back up onto the lock side to hold both ropes.

The only problem is when other boaters or lockies don't give me time. many also do not seem to realise that the stern swim on a narrowboat will almost always throw the stern out if they insist you stop totally before putting the stern line on.

I think that's a common experience and despite a lot of the traffic on the non tidal Thames being narrowboats these days some lock keepers do seem to assume you have the same control as a twin screw cruiser.  Of course if you are with a few plastic boats you are first in and under a bit of pressure to get tied up quickly. 

I have been told that the single reason for killing the engine is so that the lock keeper doesn't have to shout instructions over a lot of engine noise, I still don't understand why this only seems to be a requirement on the Thames.  

I use fairly long lines at both ends. I secure one to a bollard and adjust the other one  from the bank as boat goes up or down.  

I find the main issue is with  locks where the water comes on from the bottom of lock. That can pull the boat away from the lock wall in a rather unhelpful manner

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I think that's a common experience and despite a lot of the traffic on the non tidal Thames being narrowboats these days some lock keepers do seem to assume you have the same control as a twin screw cruiser.  Of course if you are with a few plastic boats you are first in and under a bit of pressure to get tied up quickly. 

I have been told that the single reason for killing the engine is so that the lock keeper doesn't have to shout instructions over a lot of engine noise, I still don't understand why this only seems to be a requirement on the Thames.  

It is not - it is the case on the Great Ouse as well. Even in unmanned locks.

5 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Because they are the only locks that were managed by the Thames Conservancy who made the rules 

Folks onn here are reallt too polite and kind....

The simple answer is that lines for and aft are the rules which you accept when you come on to the Thames.

Perhaps more reasnoably- if you don't and something happens the lockie could get sacked or suffer financial penalties. Is that fair??

Recently an expeienced commercial operator (no lockie present) didn't tie any line, or hold it withe the result that the boat surged forward, got caught under a beam and it sank. A 100 ton crane was needed to lift the boat and the lock was out of action for several days. Great inconvenience to any one wanting to use the River.

Stupid idiot!!!

5 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Back in early May I bought my boat up the river Thames from Reading to Oxford (Kings Lock) and all but 2 locks were manned. I asked each lock keeper if my engine needed to be shut off and not one required this, and I shared every lock with at least one other boat :captain:

I single-hand on the Thames regularly.

Ascending is not a problem with two ropes. Stern rope on as I come to a stop, and then up onto the side with a long bow rope. Only Boulters and Sandford are too deep to climb straight up, so I use the steps.

Descending, I always ask if I can use only a centre rope, and I have never been refused. I am ready to explain how it is safer for a single-hander, but have never needed to do so apart from during friendly chat.

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

But why was that a centre line issue? Couldn't the same have happened with a bow or stern line?

Since you didn't get an answer, I expect that, as they were going up, the pull from the centre of the roof acted to list the boat towards the bollard as the boat rose above it.  The bow and stern lines are lower and therefore wouldn't have the same effect. It would take a water level very close to the top of the lock though, wouldn't it. 

On 14/08/2018 at 21:44, Sea Dog said:

Since you didn't get an answer, I expect that, as they were going up, the pull from the centre of the roof acted to list the boat towards the bollard as the boat rose above it.  The bow and stern lines are lower and therefore wouldn't have the same effect. It would take a water level very close to the top of the lock though, wouldn't it. 

I've seen just this scenario happen. On many Thames locks the sides of the lock between the gates are just above the normal waterline,  and  much lower than the top of the gates, if you see what I mean.

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:03, Scholar Gypsy said:

Here's a picture. Also a discussion on Facebook recently

https://m.facebook.com/groups/106433069697947?view=permalink&id=718699251804656

FB_IMG_1534266140670.jpg

This has worked for me so far - although I haven't been up hill in any of the deeper Thames locks.

On 14/08/2018 at 10:57, Detling said:

I have a very long bow line (over 100 foot) and have that and the stern line to hand only passed round and never a full turn, 

I have a long line for the bow too (about 70 foot on a 45 foot boat) but very rarely use it as I am not usually single handing.

will echo not putting complete turns on the bollards, the only time I have done that was where a thames lock keeper insisted that all lines were wrapped at least twice around before he would operate the lock. descending in the lock combined with everyone (3 boats in the lock) having wet lines from rain lead to all three boats getting the lines locked (one line snapped before it could be freed)

On 14/08/2018 at 18:41, pete harrison said:

Back in early May I bought my boat up the river Thames from Reading to Oxford (Kings Lock) and all but 2 locks were manned. I asked each lock keeper if my engine needed to be shut off and not one required this, and I shared every lock with at least one other boat :captain:

Strangely it seems that lock keepers between Reading and Teddington are more likely to insist on cutting your engine. 

Keith

7 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

Strangely it seems that lock keepers between Reading and Teddington are more likely to insist on cutting your engine. 

Keith

Although I think that if you explain you have a vintage engine that may need 10 mins with a blowtorch,  they will let you run it at tickover....

On 14/08/2018 at 18:03, Scholar Gypsy said:

Here's a picture. Also a discussion on Facebook recently

https://m.facebook.com/groups/106433069697947?view=permalink&id=718699251804656

FB_IMG_1534266140670.jpg

That's basically what I used to do on the Thames single handed. The only difficulties I used to have were when the lockkeeper didn't give me enough time or when the lock was on self-service and there were no other boats and I had to operate the lock as well as look after the ropes. On the side fill locks on the Thames I just used to tie off both ropes going uphill and let the boat drift out to the middle. It's not a violent movement but you don't want to be holding a rope around a bollard because it will overpower you and if you take two turns around the bollard you may as well have tied off. If there's a boat on the opposite side of the lock they usually gently meet in the middle. 

The bow rope here is tied off - going downhill. Stern rope is played out around a bollard so the boat swings slightly forward as it does down. If there were other boats in the lock I'd want the boat back a few feet to keep that bow rope taught and the bow under control.

DSC00551.jpg

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

That's basically what I used to do on the Thames single handed. The only difficulties I used to have were when the lockkeeper didn't give me enough time or when the lock was on self-service and there were no other boats and I had to operate the lock as well as look after the ropes. On the side fill locks on the Thames I just used to tie off both ropes going uphill and let the boat drift out to the middle. It's not a violent movement but you don't want to be holding a rope around a bollard because it will overpower you and if you take two turns around the bollard you may as well have tied off. If there's a boat on the opposite side of the lock they usually gently meet in the middle. 

The bow rope here is tied off - going downhill. Stern rope is played out around a bollard so the boat swings slightly forward as it does down. If there were other boats in the lock I'd want the boat back a few feet to keep that bow rope taught and the bow under control.

DSC00551.jpg

Yes I was thinking how much would the boat move fore or aft as the water falls/rises, also isn't there still a chance the bow might get hung up when descending?  How do you know how much bow line to attach?