Banbury pound water level

Chalky

Featured Posts

We’re moored on the pound below Banbury lock and the water level has dropped by about 12” over night. Was this the pound that had problems with builders abstracting water?

Just had to free the boat off an under water obstruction to get it level.

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

As far as I know, a pound is still 16 ounces.

Well - you need to be a bit more specific :

1lb can be 16 ounces or it can be 12 ounces

16oz avoirdupois or 12 oz. troy

The Roman libra (shortened to lb) 

The Troy ounce was introduced as a measure of precious metals and used for silver, where the value of a certain piece of silver was £1 that weight was called 1lb

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Pound for Ib, I think you're probably right.

When Polly the Parrot, sat on the shoulder of Pirate Pete and shouting about pieces of eight, was he talking silver in Troy or Roman? 

Neither - he was talking about a Spanish coin called a 'Dollar', this had a value of 8 reals, and the Dollar was often cut into 8 pieces to give a lower denomination coin - hence "pieces of eight"

I spent many hap[y years as a numismatist. (but I'm fully recovered now)

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Neither - he was talking about a Spanish coin called a 'Dollar', this had a value of 8 reals, and the Dollar was often cut into 8 pieces to give a lower denomination coin - hence "pieces of eight"

I spent many hap[y years as a numismatist. (but I'm fully recovered now)

And the word dollar is taken from “Thaler”, a coin originally minted in Bohemia. Maria Theresa thalers were still in circulation in the UAE when I was there in the early 70s. I am not sure how much of a link there is between a Thaler and a Tola, however. :)

4 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

One of the most amusing and informative threads I've yet to stumble across. Let's hope it doesn't return to boring boating and associated water depth ........

Well, I tried to take it back on topic after feeling guilty taking it off thread in the first place.

It makes me very cross.I hope i don't get a ban:)

What is a "cockhorse" anyway?

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, I tried to take it back on topic after feeling guilty taking it off thread in the first place.

I always took it to be a hobby horse. 

Y'know, a stick with a horses head in one end (not a real one) and a wheel on the other, for children to play at being on a horse...

(Not seen one of these since I set fire to my sister's! )

l4251_2_1296x.jpg?v=1528971319

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

We’re moored on the pound below Banbury lock and the water level has dropped by about 12” over night. Was this the pound that had problems with builders abstracting water?

Just had to free the boat off an under water obstruction to get it level.

Yes indeed it is. We were there last week and it was fairly low but with a two foot draught it was not a problem.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

As long as you don’t get a ban, buried and a cross, I’m sure you’ll be OK.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I suspect it would come from the original cockhorse  "A horse added to a team of horses to assist a wagon through high water or over difficult terrain"

2 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

If it is for high water level use, then it won’t be any help at Banbury at the moment.

Surely - if the water is low, then the terrain is difficult ?

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I always took it to be a hobby horse. 

Y'know, a stick with a horses head in one end (not a real one) and a wheel on the other, for children to play at being on a horse...

You mean a stick with an 'orse's 'ead 'andle, the finest that Woolworths could sell...

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

You mean a stick with an 'orse's 'ead 'andle, the finest that Woolworths could sell...

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Eeee a grand little lad were young Albert...……….

There were no wrecks and nobody drownded, in fact nothing to laugh at at all.

My father had a illustrated book of Stanley Holloway monologues, which, when I was a boy, he used to read to me in a broad Lancashire accent. Unfortunately the book got lost.

Years later I bought him a CD of Stanley Holloway performing these monologues. What a shock, when it turned out Stanley was a cockney, not a Lancastrian.

My favourite monologue was "three ha'pence a foot".

It is also loosely related to the inland waterways ?

Edited by cuthound
Autocorrect changing ha'pence to happens ?