Rotherthorpe Flight - Northampton Arm Restrictions

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Only a reminder

From yesterday there're restrictions on the Rotherthorpe Flight. Last entry is 3:30 pm. due to lack of water

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13647/lock-1-to-12

We didn't realise yesterday, and were helped through the last two locks by a CRT guy who was padlocking the locks - and that was about 3:30 pm.

The pounds were pretty full of water, and the bywash, just as you go through the bottom gate was fierce! (I miss calculated almost every time ? go too slow and there's no oomph to challenge the bywash, go a bit faster, and the bigger the 'crash' ?‍♀️!) 

Edited by Jennifer McM

On 14/08/2018 at 08:19, Jennifer McM said:

The pounds were pretty full of water, and the bywash, just as you go through the bottom gate was fierce! (I miss calculated almost every time ? go too slow and there's no oomph to challenge the bywash, go a bit faster, and the bigger the 'crash' ?‍♀️!) 

That makes me feel better?

Climbed the flight last week - I started off OK, then had a couple of close shaves, but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory near the top by using the too much speed with too little skill option?

But overall, the apocalyptic weed and reeds in the lower pounds coming up from Northampton was more of a problem for us.

I confess that after our experience back in the spring when one of the ‘ornamental’ lift bridges failed due to rot in the balance beams at their pivot points, I was a tad uneasy going back under the remaining ones.

It did not help when I noticed long cracks in one of the vertical columns of bridge 5.

There is a single yellow mark on the column annotated ‘1’ which may be a crack propagation mark?

If so the cracks may have spread since.

Of course they are not nessessarily critical from a structural point of view, but I decided to email CRT with some photos just in case there had been some recent deteriation that they were not aware of.

The local team are a just a short walk away at Gayton so they are probably keeping an eye on it, but I was told to email the London and South East team who administer the arm.

No reply received yet.

2AFA7DA9-8D77-4746-BDDF-89F55FA224D5.jpeg

BB55D9A5-C173-4A19-9BF9-83F46FA34D7E.jpeg

• 1 month later...