Boat House swap

Featured Posts

My wife and I are retired, fit and healthy, and have a lifetime of experience owning and operating boats in Australia, Netherlands and USA.

We would like to start a discussion with any one owning a semi trad narrow boat in the 50 to 60 foot range who would be interested in swapping their boat for our 2 bedroom waterfront apartment on Lake Macquarie NSW Australia.

A period of 4 to 6 months is envisaged, say, from April to September. Our weather then would be similar or warmer than your similar period and not too hot.

Please email us to see if we can work something out at braidwooddm@gmail.com

Hmmm is this a rental request?  Renting a narrow boat on CRT waters can only legally be done with the boat having 1, a mooring (doesn't have to stay on it), 2 an enhanced safety certificate and a commercial license i.e. as a Hire boat. Anything else is under the radar and you have no rights as the borrower, and probably no insurance, so you could be evicted without warning and left personally liable for any damage/injury caused. Will a swap count as rental? if you are Member of parliament it is one of the few things they have to declare (don't need receipts etc for expenditure), taxman can view it a benefit in kind, so it will come down to the jury.

5 hours ago, Stewart Kirby said:

Even a swap will need the boat owners to contact their insurance company to make sure their insurance isn’t invalidated, or cough up extra money to extend the cover.

I don't think my insurance quotes who is on the boat 

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think my insurance quotes who is on the boat 

Some years ago I queried this very point with my then insurer. The reply was that it didn't matter who was on the boat providing that whoever was in charge while the boat was moving was over age 18, and that they had the permission of the boat owner/policyholder.  That was for a normal leisure boat, so might not be the same for a liveaboard.

I queried one insurer about loaning my boat to relatives or very close friends all of who I would ensure were competent to handle the boat and got a big NO. I didn't insure with them but regrettably I can't remember who it was. With insurance its best not to assume.

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Can I borrow your catamaran next week?

I can lend you a cat and meringue if that's any help.

(Well, you'd have to borrow the cat from someone else, but I'd give you the meringue, so it's roughly equivalent) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Can I borrow your catamaran next week?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We are heading down to Plymouth again for a couple of weeks cruising before lift out at the end of the month...………..otherwise ……………………..

It's that rubber suit wot does it every time.

• Haha 1