Non slip with Hammerite Smooth

Featured Posts

Hi

Anybody tried mixing non slip granules with Hammerite Smooth? My Gunwhales are painted in smooth but require some non slip. I have the granules just not sure if it will be successful and don't really want to bugger it up. Wondering if anybody else had done it? 

Thanks

Tony

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

Those granules are absolute rubbish. Use sand. You can buy specially prepared sand from chandlers at silly prices or you can use kiln dried play sand much cheaper.

Which granules are you talking about? There are several brands. I've used this one from International and it's excellent. Overpriced for what you get but very good.

International Non-Slip Additive

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

An often cited weakness in Hammerite is a tendency to be brittle and therefore chip easily.  If this is the case, it might not be such a good choice of carrier for granules. 

Yes, it's Hammerite that's rubbish.

3 hours ago, tonyt40 said:

Hi

Anybody tried mixing non slip granules with Hammerite Smooth? My Gunwhales are painted in smooth but require some non slip. I have the granules just not sure if it will be successful and don't really want to bugger it up. Wondering if anybody else had done it? 

Thanks

Tony

Why don't you just key the surface and use some of this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=international+interdeck&index=aps&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_7s2t35o4n2_e&adgrpid=54885122562&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=259098979400&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9974306583527558212&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=kwd-299078910860

The choice of colours is limited but unlike some other textured deck paints (or using sand), Interdeck is very easy for the DIYer to use and get a decent finish. You can add your granules too if you wish. Preparation is the key (pun intended!)

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=international+interdeck&index=aps&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_7s2t35o4n2_e&adgrpid=54885122562&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=259098979400&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9974306583527558212&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=kwd-299078910860

The choice of colours is limited but unlike some other textured deck paints (or using sand), Interdeck is very easy for the DIYer to use and get a decent finish. You can add your granules too if you wish. Preparation is the key (pun intended!)

Yes I like Interdeck it works very well on gunnels/sidedecks which are usually black so the limited colour choice doesn't matter.  It seems to be extremely hard wearing too.  I certainly wouldn't use Hammerite, there are better alternatives these days. 

Hammerite is an Azko Nobel paint, very good for a limited number of applications. CART uses in bulk on iron lock hardware. I used it successfully for keeping at bay rust from new scrapes on the painted band below the gunnel, and for stabilising small rust blisters as they appeared during the year before an end of season overcoat of primer, followed after sanding smooth, by Toplac. Hammerite goes on like toothpaste, so it always defeated my best attempts at a non lumpy finish. Albiet, a glossy lumpy finish. It also wreaks brushes, especially expensive finishing brushes!

Interdeck is also an Azko Nobel paint specifically for your intended application. The manufacturers information for Hammerite said it can be tinted to match Toplac colours by a Dulux colour centre, not that I ever tried. Perhaps Interdeck can be similarly tinted?

Edited by DandV

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

Just one issue at that link " There are five different colour options to choose from – cream, grey, sand beige, squall blue or white "  How handy is that for Narrowboat gunwales?  They must do a black, surely?

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just one issue at that link " There are five different colour options to choose from – cream, grey, sand beige, squall blue or white "  How handy is that for Narrowboat gunwales?  They must do a black, surely?

No black might be a problem. Don't think "squall blue" on black Gunwhales will quite cut it.... Lol. 

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

I was trying to avoid spending more cash. I had the paint and granules already.